Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Help! Trying to figure out intake modification

Ok.... I have a 2003 Bluebird All American Pusher. This black cover is what I think is the intake for the engine. There is only one of these on the passenger's side. We really want to put out bed up there and move this. Has anyone modified this or moved it? How would you do it? What problems do you for see? Thanks everyone for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (1).jpeg  

katiearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
What's on the outside of the bus that connects to that piece? I assume a louvered panel? What's behind it? There may be a large air filter, or it could just be an intake plenum that sends air to the engine compartment. Taking a look inside will tell you a lot more about what your options are at this point.
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Show a pic of what's inside the engine bay under that housing. I suspect there is a filter and an intake tube running under it to the intake manifold. You would need to find another place for that filter that will draw clean fresh air and then plumb the intake tube to the manifold.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: Bluebird All American RE
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Any progress on this? Just got my 2000 Bluebird All American and was wondering the same thing. I don't have a pic to post, but indeed under there is just the intake. It is not vented to the outside that I can see, other than by the engine compartment doors.

If one were to re-locate the intake further down into the engine compartment, does that affect performance at all? Does that intake need to be higher than the engine in order to draw air?
ekyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #5

Year: 2004
Engine: CAT
We are battling the same issue. Here is a pic of what's under the black cover. It's a weird setup, the filter is below the metal plenum and the air intakes on the outside of the bus are above the plenum.
HyggeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Did this get solved? I am desperately needing to replace my air filter and the cap has been glued, (or welded!) on so I am wondering if it worth it to access it from above!??
angelicadevries21 is offline   Reply With Quote