Old 11-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #1

Help:what tool I need

Hi, everyone

I am gonna buy my schoolie next week, but I have no idea what kind of tools I need to convert it?

Please help me a list about it..

Thank u...
liang2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
You will need them all lol
So a quick list of what I think you need...
Basic tools - screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, socket set, channel locks, and vise grips.
Power tools - 4" angle grinder ( metal cut off discs and flap disc), reciprocating saw (or a hack saw and muscle power) drill (corded), drill (cordless)

Depending on how detailed your conversion is, the tool list could be almost limitless.
Are you going to weld? Wood working? Painting?
All require tools. Some you can rent or borrow if they are flr specialty applications, or one offs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by liang2013 View Post
Hi, everyone

I am gonna buy my schoolie next week, but I have no idea what kind of tools I need to convert it?

Please help me a list about it..

Thank u...
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
tools needed...

Money, motivation, Money, cordless drill, skill saw, Money, Hammer, grinder, Money, Patience, a vehicle to haul lumber,etc, creativity, You Tube access, first aid kit, and Money....
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I sorta just buy the tools as I go. I already had a good bit of tools to begin with.
Angle grinder and impact driver are two important ones.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The first thing you absolutely need is a good fire extinguisher! This is like a parachute in that you hope you never need it, but if you do, nothing else will really do the job and you need it *Right Now*. The bus may come equipped with one, or at least a bracket for it. Also get some reflective triangles if the bus lacks them. They might come equipped if the seller didn't cannibalize them. A first aid kit would be wise and third down on my list of required items. Again, all these items are usually on active school buses but the seller may strip them before sale.

Basic hand tools will be in order. Most of the other suggestions are good so I won't repeat those. Once you get your bus, procure a couple extra fuel filters for it and keep them on hand. Learn how to change them yourself, it's one of the most frequent bits of maintenance a diesel requires.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #6

That is really helpful. And yes, I want do wood working too..

Thank u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
You will need them all lol
So a quick list of what I think you need...
Basic tools - screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, socket set, channel locks, and vise grips.
Power tools - 4" angle grinder ( metal cut off discs and flap disc), reciprocating saw (or a hack saw and muscle power) drill (corded), drill (cordless)

Depending on how detailed your conversion is, the tool list could be almost limitless.
Are you going to weld? Wood working? Painting?
All require tools. Some you can rent or borrow if they are flr specialty applications, or one offs...
Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #7

thank u, i don't have pick up vehicle,I plan use school bus to haul lumber,is that ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
Money, motivation, Money, cordless drill, skill saw, Money, Hammer, grinder, Money, Patience, a vehicle to haul lumber,etc, creativity, You Tube access, first aid kit, and Money....
Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 PM   #8

That is great safe and details things. I will never imagine that by myself.
Thank u.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The first thing you absolutely need is a good fire extinguisher! This is like a parachute in that you hope you never need it, but if you do, nothing else will really do the job and you need it *Right Now*. The bus may come equipped with one, or at least a bracket for it. Also get some reflective triangles if the bus lacks them. They might come equipped if the seller didn't cannibalize them. A first aid kit would be wise and third down on my list of required items. Again, all these items are usually on active school buses but the seller may strip them before sale.

Basic hand tools will be in order. Most of the other suggestions are good so I won't repeat those. Once you get your bus, procure a couple extra fuel filters for it and keep them on hand. Learn how to change them yourself, it's one of the most frequent bits of maintenance a diesel requires.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
My cordless drill gets used more than any other tool I have!
Make sure you have multiple batteries
Old 11-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Owning the needed tools is one thing however you also need the knowledge, skill and ability to use them properly and safely.

The first thought that came to my mind when reading your original question was this:

Given the basics of your original tool question are you sure you have the time, skills and ability to complete this HUGE PROJECT that requires many varying types of construction needed to successfully complete a Skoolie conversion?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote