Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #1

Help:what tool I need

Hi, everyone

I am gonna buy my schoolie next week, but I have no idea what kind of tools I need to convert it?

Please help me a list about it..

Thank u...

liang2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
You will need them all lol
So a quick list of what I think you need...
Basic tools - screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, socket set, channel locks, and vise grips.
Power tools - 4" angle grinder ( metal cut off discs and flap disc), reciprocating saw (or a hack saw and muscle power) drill (corded), drill (cordless)

Depending on how detailed your conversion is, the tool list could be almost limitless.
Are you going to weld? Wood working? Painting?
All require tools. Some you can rent or borrow if they are flr specialty applications, or one offs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by liang2013 View Post
Hi, everyone

I am gonna buy my schoolie next week, but I have no idea what kind of tools I need to convert it?

Please help me a list about it..

Thank u...
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
tools needed...

Money, motivation, Money, cordless drill, skill saw, Money, Hammer, grinder, Money, Patience, a vehicle to haul lumber,etc, creativity, You Tube access, first aid kit, and Money....
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I sorta just buy the tools as I go. I already had a good bit of tools to begin with.
Angle grinder and impact driver are two important ones.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The first thing you absolutely need is a good fire extinguisher! This is like a parachute in that you hope you never need it, but if you do, nothing else will really do the job and you need it *Right Now*. The bus may come equipped with one, or at least a bracket for it. Also get some reflective triangles if the bus lacks them. They might come equipped if the seller didn't cannibalize them. A first aid kit would be wise and third down on my list of required items. Again, all these items are usually on active school buses but the seller may strip them before sale.

Basic hand tools will be in order. Most of the other suggestions are good so I won't repeat those. Once you get your bus, procure a couple extra fuel filters for it and keep them on hand. Learn how to change them yourself, it's one of the most frequent bits of maintenance a diesel requires.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

That is really helpful. And yes, I want do wood working too..

Thank u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
You will need them all lol
So a quick list of what I think you need...
Basic tools - screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, socket set, channel locks, and vise grips.
Power tools - 4" angle grinder ( metal cut off discs and flap disc), reciprocating saw (or a hack saw and muscle power) drill (corded), drill (cordless)

Depending on how detailed your conversion is, the tool list could be almost limitless.
Are you going to weld? Wood working? Painting?
All require tools. Some you can rent or borrow if they are flr specialty applications, or one offs...
Old 11-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

thank u, i don't have pick up vehicle,I plan use school bus to haul lumber,is that ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
Money, motivation, Money, cordless drill, skill saw, Money, Hammer, grinder, Money, Patience, a vehicle to haul lumber,etc, creativity, You Tube access, first aid kit, and Money....
Old 11-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #8

That is great safe and details things. I will never imagine that by myself.
Thank u.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The first thing you absolutely need is a good fire extinguisher! This is like a parachute in that you hope you never need it, but if you do, nothing else will really do the job and you need it *Right Now*. The bus may come equipped with one, or at least a bracket for it. Also get some reflective triangles if the bus lacks them. They might come equipped if the seller didn't cannibalize them. A first aid kit would be wise and third down on my list of required items. Again, all these items are usually on active school buses but the seller may strip them before sale.

Basic hand tools will be in order. Most of the other suggestions are good so I won't repeat those. Once you get your bus, procure a couple extra fuel filters for it and keep them on hand. Learn how to change them yourself, it's one of the most frequent bits of maintenance a diesel requires.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
My cordless drill gets used more than any other tool I have!
Make sure you have multiple batteries
Old 11-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Skoolie

Owning the needed tools is one thing however you also need the knowledge, skill and ability to use them properly and safely.

The first thought that came to my mind when reading your original question was this:

Given the basics of your original tool question are you sure you have the time, skills and ability to complete this HUGE PROJECT that requires many varying types of construction needed to successfully complete a Skoolie conversion?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
Tools

You will need several drills, cordless & corded heavy duty. If taking seats out & you don't have a helper or a pit to work under the bus you'll need a small & large corded grinder, this was the hardest part of my bus so far. Use good safety glassed & wear genes not shorts when grinding & no flammables around what your grinding. As others have said, Money is the key & a close by Home Depot or Lowe's you will visit them a lot... You should have plenty of very good drill bits & at least three of the each ones you use a lot. Plan to do most things twice, this is a conversion & there just aren't many guides for it. Every bus is different so layouts, plans everything changes as you go along. If you've planned 4 months add 4 more.

Plan to have several screw drivers, regular & metric sockets & several short to long extensions. Plan to learn a lot, more than you ever wanted to know about a bus & then some. Do as much work in the Fall, Winter & early Spring out of the main heat months.

Donn' dismantle it, take it apart or destroy it before you know you will never need it again! Never be embarrassed to ask for help or advice, especially when it comes to Electrical or Air Conditioning. NO BODY KNOWS IT ALL, NOBODY!

Finally keep a good First Aid Kit nearby, have kids or helpers, go over safety first, second & third. Plan on a true Adventure & when you get really frustrated, stop, walk away, do some soul searching, deep thinking then start right back in.

Have Fun!

I've attached a few pics of the BoogieBus Started in May 17 still a work in Progress. Here is the FaceBook Page associated with it: https://www.facebook.com/MrBoogiesBu...dmin_todo_tour
Attached Thumbnails
BoogieBus Side 4th Milton 2018.jpg   BoogieBus Power 8-11-18 (4).jpg   BoogieBus Reconfig.jpg  
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Owning the needed tools is one thing however you also need the knowledge, skill and ability to use them properly and safely.

The first thought that came to my mind when reading your original question was this:

Given the basics of your original tool question are you sure you have the time, skills and ability to complete this HUGE PROJECT that requires many varying types of construction needed to successfully complete a Skoolie conversion?

THIS!

I am reminded of a saying when I was an apprentice electrician.

Here it is, " Anybody can do a job with the right tools, a tradesman can do that job with no tools. "

We always had a good laugh over that and yes there are times you need to improvise.

John
Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Just make sure to leave the guard and handle on the grinder. Wear safety glasses AND a face shield AND gloves when using the grinder. They are emotionless and unforgiving.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #14

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: DT-466
Rated Cap: 64 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

Other than that. I’d start with an angle grinder a flat shovel and a crowbar. And a harbor freight gift card haha
Charlesreid42 is offline   Reply With Quote