Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #31
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,840
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah, I've removed a good bit of the outer solid rivets to get my rub rails off.
Grind em from the back side, then pop em out with the pointy bit on an air chisel. The ones that can't be reached from the back, I just ground flat then drilled em.
Why are you removing rub rails? I guess ... are you removing and putting back or getting rid of them forever? First rub rail overlapping with the new skin sounds right.
__________________
The slow documentation of the build...
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/9...ome-17761.html
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #32
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,430
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Why are you removing rub rails? I guess ... are you removing and putting back or getting rid of them forever? First rub rail overlapping with the new skin sounds right.
No- you have to take the rub rails off to make the roof raise re-panel look good and sit flush. I've tried to explain that to you, but I'll show you in person in Sept!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #33
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,430
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
This is after the upper rub rails were removed-



This shitty drawing I did quickly on Imgur to sort of illustrate what I'm talking about. The paneling on the sides will come down to the bottom of the line, then the rub rails will go on right back where they were and everything will be flush and factory-ish looking, hopefully.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #34
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,840
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No- you have to take the rub rails off to make the roof raise re-panel look good and sit flush. I've tried to explain that to you, but I'll show you in person in Sept!
You need to get some damn work done before now and Sept so I have more ideas to steal.
__________________
The slow documentation of the build...
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/9...ome-17761.html
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #35
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,430
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Nah, I got it. I just had to talk myself thru it first. You going to put the rails back? Some don't. I almost certainly will.

You need to get some damn work done before now and Sept so I have more ideas to steal.
I move SLOW on this thing. But this winter we'll be getting a bunch more work done. I now have a part time helper who's a decent fabricator and a great welder!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #36
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,840
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I move SLOW on this thing. But this winter we'll be getting a bunch more work done. I now have a part time helper who's a decent fabricator and a great welder!
It's been too damn hot for me to do much. I went and sweated by balls off for an hour yesterday trying to get power. My extension cord died. At first I thought it was the GFI outlet. Once I had power there, still nothing at the end of the cord. I hit it with a weed eater once. Been waiting for that to finally go. Cut and splice. Stlll didn't work. It has another break somewhere and I can't find it. My 25ft will reach one of the poles but that GFI box is shot. Belongs to the Army RV lot so I can't just slap a new GFI on it. I finally gave up and helped a co-worker with his popup camper. New cord will be here today. Tomorrow is low 80s and less humidity. Today was miserable at lunch. Yesterday wasn't much better.

2 hrs 2 or 3 times a week if it's not raining doesn't get much work done. I honesty can't wait for a high of 50. Long sleeve coveralls and I'll be fine.
__________________
The slow documentation of the build...
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/9...ome-17761.html
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #37
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,430
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
It's been too damn hot for me to do much. I went and sweated by balls off for an hour yesterday trying to get power. My extension cord died. At first I thought it was the GFI outlet. Once I had power there, still nothing at the end of the cord. I hit it with a weed eater once. Been waiting for that to finally go. Cut and splice. Stlll didn't work. It has another break somewhere and I can't find it. My 25ft will reach one of the poles but that GFI box is shot. Belongs to the Army RV lot so I can't just slap a new GFI on it. I finally gave up and helped a co-worker with his popup camper. New cord will be here today. Tomorrow is low 80s and less humidity. Today was miserable at lunch. Yesterday wasn't much better.

2 hrs 2 or 3 times a week if it's not raining doesn't get much work done. I honesty can't wait for a high of 50. Long sleeve coveralls and I'll be fine.
Right now I''m at about 2 hours every other week or so. Its raining a LOT and I have mowers, vans, and all kinds of stuff to fix!
READY for winter!!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #38
Bus Crazy
 
Brewerbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,840
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Right now I''m at about 2 hours every other week or so. Its raining a LOT and I have mowers, vans, and all kinds of stuff to fix!
READY for winter!!
This is normal for your summers. I moved twice to get away from this crapola. Today 90 60%.
Yesterday 86 87%
Wed 86 85%
Tue 87 78%
Mon 86 75%

Tomorrow 75 ~ 40%
Sunday 80
__________________
The slow documentation of the build...
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/9...ome-17761.html
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #39
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 1,217
Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
No- you have to take the rub rails off to make the roof raise re-panel look good and sit flush. I've tried to explain that to you, but I'll show you in person in Sept!
+1 for this, at least! It'll look so much better with that lower edge of the new metal concealed behind the rub rails.

I've been using a relatively cheap Lotos 3-in-1 plasma cutter to burn out the middle of the heads of the solid rivets. In concept it's similar to drilling them, but in practice it digs a hole out of the rivet head in about 3 seconds vs the 20 (or more?) it takes to drill them. Then hit it from the side with a modified chisel in an air hammer (sharpened to a shape like a wood chisel) and the head pops right off. Then hit it with the pointy bit in the air chisel and the rest of the rivet pops out the back.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #40
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
This is normal for your summers. I moved twice to get away from this crapola. Today 90 60%.
Yesterday 86 87%
Wed 86 85%
Tue 87 78%
Mon 86 75%

Tomorrow 75 ~ 40%
Sunday 80
I would kill for weather like that.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.