Old 01-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How to adjust a buses govenor

just drove my bus home 420 miles all in all great trip ran great its a 84 gmc with a 454 4 speed. but the govenor wont let me go past 52 mph how do you adjust theses and what would be the max rpm i should ajust to. trust me i dont want to go 90 but i'd like a little leway any advice would be great.
heath692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
If it's like the governor on my bus you will have to replace the entire caruburator to remove it. Mine is a Holley 2BBL
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
If it's like the governor on my bus you will have to replace the entire caruburator to remove it. Mine is a Holley 2BBL
thanks steve then thats what i'll do i'll take pics of it tomarrow and let everyone see the progress for the most part ive got the whole interor striped the first day. if i may ask what did you overlay your floor with thats gonna be my next step. thanks again fred.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Height wasn't a real big issue for me since the bus was about 6 inches taller than I am. I used either 3/4" or 1" foil backed foam board on the floor of the bus covered with 1/4" osb. Then i put the actual flooring on top of that.

In my opinion, carpet is bad due to the difficulty in keeping it clean. Carpet does have excelelnt sound dampening properties however. I think the best option is a hard surface floor ie: lanolium, peel and stick tile, pergo ect with non slip rugs on top. Then you have the best of both worlds: easy to clean and sound dampening.

This process took up about 1.5" of ceiling height.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
Height wasn't a real big issue for me since the bus was about 6 inches taller than I am. I used either 3/4" or 1" foil backed foam board on the floor of the bus covered with 1/4" osb. Then i put the actual flooring on top of that.

In my opinion, carpet is bad due to the difficulty in keeping it clean. Carpet does have excelelnt sound dampening properties however. I think the best option is a hard surface floor ie: lanolium, peel and stick tile, pergo ect with non slip rugs on top. Then you have the best of both worlds: easy to clean and sound dampening.

thanks again steve im gonna start on it tommarow after work. ive got to get this ready for the race in talladega this april so ive got alot to do. ill post picks thanks again fred.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Skoolie

Cork...

I've decided to to use cork for sound damping with non-stick rugs in the essential places. I'm not going to have couches or a lot of hard furniture but have opt instead to use bean bags, and ikea style thingies that have dual uses.

Might use carpet up in the driver area.
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 370
Rated Cap: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m

If I may suggest something. what I have done and am about to do, is both, hard floor and carpet. They have these nifty carpet squares out now in all kinds of thickness and styles that fit together seamlessly. Im going to custom fit some into my living areas (front living area, and bed area) and place it over top my checker lynoleum tile floor that is already down. So anytime i want the hard floors out, parties, i can just pull up the carpet squares and store them in a storage compartment. If needed, I found a carpet brand that can be cleaned but putting the square in a sink w/ soapy water.

I think it will be pretty cool soon as i order the carpet...

Oh ya, what happened to this topic, I too would like to know more about govs on busses. Its a pain in the ass for me to drive on the freeway. Do all school system buses have govs, who would know how to help me?

Plotting the next project now. Looking for a clean diesel pusher with low rust/miles. Identical plans with plumming and biodiesel added :)
dammitAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Speed

ROFLMAO!

I drive 55 to 60 on the interstate all the time in my Jeep. It's pretty relaxing. (Not to mention that it saves GA$.) I can tell when people behind me are on the cell-phone and not paying attention to anything going on around them because they come zooming upon me at about 70-75, then match speed with me and stay right behind me for miles without realizing that they are going slow. When they hang up their phones, they pull around me and blow by.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

governor or an International 7.3L

My bus seems to top out at 60 mph.

It's a 1992 International 7.3L Short Bus w/ Carpenter body..

Doesn't really bother me causes its safer and less stress on the engine. But how would I know if there is a governor (i think there is) and how might I go about removing it?

Is this always in the carbeurator?
Old 03-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
Bus Geek

the 7.3 liter you have is a diesel yes/no?

if it's a diesel, there is not a carberator, you have an injector pump (IP)instead.

there is a govenor inside the IP. a pair of springs that look like valve springs do the job (at least that's what makes the govenor work in a bosh inline pump which you don't have) You can tighten the nut in the center of these springs to increase the rpm's of the engine. I"m assuming you have the non-computer controlled 7.3.

here's a link with info on how to do this.

http://www.flex.net/~triplem/new/govspring.htm