Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Skoolie

Location: Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 29
How to attach wooden flooring to steel bus floor

I want to maximise standing room and am prepared to trade floor insulation depth for extra headroom. I was planning to glue 4mm x 3cm (sorry we're metric over here!) wooden batons to the steel floor about 20cm apart running lengthways up and down bus, in filled with one layer of bubble foil insulation. On top of that I will lay interleaving gymnasium flooring (maple strips 1.8cm thick and 4cm wide) sideways across the width of the bus, so the total depth is about 2.3cm.

Do I need an impermeable layer of plastic sheeting as well?

The question is how to fix the wooden floor to the steel substrate. I was going to use self tapping screws (say 4mm screw and 3.5mm pre drilled hole) and a countersunk hole in the gym floor so the screws go through the maple strip, the baton and into the steel floor. I would then cover the screw with wood filler and varnish.

What have others done?

Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm not quite there yet, but I wouldn't put down a vapor barrier aka plastic sheeting. I'd want it to "breathe" and let the condensation escape.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Not wooden flooring but David put down exterior OSB with screws thru the metal floor. I glued the Ceramica is put down on the OSB with PL375.

I'm sure there are several ways to put the flooring down that will all work just fine. And for each method, you will find one or more who will say that it is the wrong way. I suggest you look at the various methods others have used. Then pick the one you like best that you feel you can do well. That applies to every aspect of your bus conversion. There is no one way to convert your bus.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
remember, the bus floor moves. it expands, contracts, twists, rolls and other tricks. leave expansion joints and room at the edges or it will raise and squeak. i put down sound deadening insulation boards, then osb and screwed em both with tek screws. then covered with residential thick vinyl.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote