Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Year: 91
Coachwork: ?
Chassis: ?
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66
How to change belts on 366 motor?

Try to make it quick. Coming back from MIS last August a belt broke on our bus, then another belt, by the time we got it home there were no belts and the motor was overheating. I'm not sure where to even start on how to fix this problem.
(Attached is a pic of the bus) I need some help. Can u guys point me in the right direction. Where I could start looking for exploding technical drawings of the motor. What special tools might be involved. I have plenty of questions. Do you have to take the fan shroud and radiator off?
Attached Thumbnails
CowCamo3.jpg  

Gibby84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: How to change belts on 366 motor?

look on the web for engine pics of your bus, as you are only interested in the belts. or try some of the parts houses exploded pics. if they are v belts, which i imagine that they are, they simply go on the outside of the pullys, and you loosen the power steering and or alternator bracket to swing the thing in with a short bar. on the older chevys they are usually a 1/2 inch wrench or 9/16 inch wrench.
ya got to get new belts from the parts house anyway, so ask them also, cause many of those people work on cars.
while you are at it, you should change the radiator and quite possibly the heater hoses at the same time.
you do not normally have to remove the fan shroud just to change belts, just slip the belt past the fan.
always run with either new or very good belts that are not checked.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
many of those people work on cars
Have you been in any of the chain parts stores lately? I sometimes wonder if they've ever even seen a car before. And if it ain't in the computer, they've never heard of it,
and, heaven forbid if it's over 10 years old. There aren't many REAL parts guys left. 'Course there aren't many real mechanics left either, just parts changers.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #4

Year: 91
Coachwork: ?
Chassis: ?
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 66

Thank you guys for your replies and knowledge. We already have the belts and a hose. Are u saying u have to replace the radiator for this job. Do you have to remove the radiator in the first place to install the belts? Or is it a good idea to replace the radiator. Sorry for all the questions I appreiciate all you help. What is a link where they show good exploded engine view breakaway parts.
Gibby84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

at the parts store ya gotta sort out the idiots from the gear heads.. usually about a ten to one ratio...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

I'm pretty sure he meant to replace the radiator hose, not the radiator. You won't have to remove the radiator to replace the belts.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I have a 83 Ward GMC with a 366 so not going to say I know the motor but I have one to look at.

I would look here http://www.napaonline.com/default.aspx Plug in your year and model number. Not saying its a fool proof way to get a belt but on older stuff you may have to go back a couple of times to get one a inch or two shorter or longer.

As for putting them on... Well depends on the belt. You have to look at your setup and see where the hold downs will be and loosen them up to be able to put the new one on. No you dont have to take the fan or the shroud off. You will have to wrap the belt around to get it on the fan pulley that or you will have to take the fan off.... and I do not think that is what you want to do. If you have not done this before I would suggest recruiting someone that has done this so your not totally lost. Not the hardest thing in the world but not brain dead simple either.

As for the hoses....No you dont have to take out the rad to do this. I would check all the hoses... ones to the pump and heater hoses... replace them if your going to do it. You will need to drain the rad to do the lower one so make the most of it when its empty.

Let me know if I can help.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

twood be a good idea to put new antifreeze in ....
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
... You have to look at your setup ...
#1. take pics of the current belt's path. Save it someplace where you can look at it while traveling. Only time I have ever had to replace belts was either on the side of a road or in a parking lot.

#2. Make a notebook with as many part numbers as you can. Build your own Owner's Manual with as much info as you can find. Include info on the stuff you add in (refrigerators, generators, lights, etc.. socket/wrench size needed to remove something like a hidden nut and sequence to remove/re-install a thing). I find a loose leaf binder and plastic sheet protectors are handy. I sometimes seal the open edge closed with clear packaging tape (the tough heavy stuff). Keeps the papers dry, clean and readable. It tends to rain when we break down as well.

While having it in electronic form is space saving, we have found it is often better to have large pics & diagrams. I use my old Printmaster Platinum program to build an owner's manual then, once complete, I save it as a PDF file. I like to save in sections... engine, "house" electrical, appliances and so on. Appliances tend to get original papers scanned and saved as separate multi-page newsletters plus any notes I need to add regarding that particular appliance. A tad obsessive maybe, but handy when it comes to making repairs or even when I need to replace a light bulb. I know immediately where to look for the info.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
... You have to look at your setup ...
#1. take pics of the current belt's path. Save it someplace where you can look at it while traveling. Only time I have ever had to replace belts was either on the side of a road or in a parking lot.

#2. Make a notebook with as many part numbers as you can. Build your own Owner's Manual with as much info as you can find. Include info on the stuff you add in (refrigerators, generators, lights, etc.. socket/wrench size needed to remove something like a hidden nut and sequence to remove/re-install a thing). I find a loose leaf binder and plastic sheet protectors are handy. I sometimes seal the open edge closed with clear packaging tape (the tough heavy stuff). Keeps the papers dry, clean and readable. It tends to rain when we break down as well.

While having it in electronic form is space saving, we have found it is often better to have large pics & diagrams. I use my old Printmaster Platinum program to build an owner's manual then, once complete, I save it as a PDF file. I like to save in sections... engine, "house" electrical, appliances and so on. Appliances tend to get original papers scanned and saved as separate multi-page newsletters plus any notes I need to add regarding that particular appliance. A tad obsessive maybe, but handy when it comes to making repairs or even when I need to replace a light bulb. I know immediately where to look for the info.
I agree with this idea. Make up a HOUSE BOOK for the bus, using a three-ring binder.
Put in it all the tech info, like:
the serial number of the bus, engine & tranny info, parts numbers for belts and hoses, when you did maintenance (and on what), tire sizes, how OLD the tires are (they do deteriorate), tire serial numbers, a floor plan of the bus, appliance model numbers and THEIR maintenance, any changes you made to the heating or cooling systems, how to unlock air brakes manually....ANYTHING you might need to maintain and repair the bus.

BTW, if you have this info on hand when you SELL the bus someday, the potential buyer will be impressed...

You need not do this all at once, so it need not be a daunting task. Do one page every now and then, and you'll be good to go.