Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: ???
Chassis: chevy express
Engine: v 3500 chevy
Rated Cap: 15
how to make a street legal bus

hey team,
so i've finished the build and now i have to make the bus street legal ... can anyone direct me to the requirements i need to fulfill to not get stopped and fined. i'm not referring to how to get registered ... that's been done ... registered! plates! yeah!!!
but what do i need to take off the bus? the stop arm, safety arm i know. anything else? and i have to paint it.
also if anyone can direct me to state requirements and possibly the state that has the most stringent regulations so i can just make it legal for everywhere.
cheers!

mnexpress2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Start with whatever your current state requires. If you get stopped while transiting another state, at least you'll have an excuse that you did all that was required in state X to get back on the road. Painting it a different color than school bus yellow would be something I'd do first.

Chances are unless the cop is having a bad day or your attitude sets him off somehow, you'll simply drive off with a warning in another more stringent state?

Having the basics: License, registration and insurance are the biggies when travelling interstate. NH where I currently reside, doesn't require vehicle insurance to register a vehicle. While some might find that good, I don't think it is. Getting stopped out of state where proof of insurance is needed, might not work out too well!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
While proof of insurance is not a requirement for registration in N.H., it is required to drive on the road. So you concerns of getting stopped in a different state is the same as if you were in N.H.
With state reciprocity, if it's legal in your state it is legal in all states.

Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile so we know where you are and what bus you have to better answer your questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

also black out the names i.e the district (Baltimore City, Washington County) and the words school bus
Iron Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

It is not required in order to drive legally in NH either, Marc. Unfortunately there are way too many folks driving our roads today without any form of insurance.
I have added "uninsured motorist" to my policy which is somewhat reassuring if I were to "meet" an idiot without any insurance, by accident.

IF you are in an "at fault" accident without ins. here, you'd better have deep pockets!
The state will suspend your driving privileges, along with your registration, until restitution is made to the victim in full.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
It is not required in order to drive legally in NH either, Marc. Unfortunately there are way too many folks driving our roads today without any form of insurance.
I have added "uninsured motorist" to my policy which is somewhat reassuring if I were to "meet" an idiot without any insurance, by accident.

IF you are in an "at fault" accident without ins. here, you'd better have deep pockets!
The state will suspend your driving privileges, along with your registration, until restitution is made to the victim in full.
I agree, it's vague when I read the laws there.:

The bare minimum car insurance requirement for New Hampshire drivers is:

New Hampshire is a bit different from other states. While it does not specifically require you to have vehicle insurance, it does require that all drivers meet their financial responsibilities in the event of an accident. Failure to do so can result in severe penalties that may include monetary fines and jail time. Under New Hampshire’s tort system, you may also be liable for actual damages (expenses associated with property damage and medical costs), economic damages (lost wages and earning capacity) and emotional and physical pain and suffering.

$25,000 bodily injury per person per accident
$50,000 bodily injury for all persons per accident
$25,000 property damage liability
$25,000/$50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
$1,000 medical payments coverage per accident
Old 06-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I agree, it's vague when I read the laws there.:

New Hampshire is a bit different from other states. While it does not specifically require you to have vehicle insurance, it does require that all drivers meet their financial responsibilities in the event of an accident. Failure to do so can result in severe penalties that may include monetary fines and jail time. Under New Hampshire’s tort system, you may also be liable for actual damages (expenses associated with property damage and medical costs), economic damages (lost wages and earning capacity) and emotional and physical pain and suffering.

$25,000 bodily injury per person per accident
$50,000 bodily injury for all persons per accident
$25,000 property damage liability
$25,000/$50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
$1,000 medical payments coverage per accident
Not to be argumentative Marc, what you show is what the state recommends every driver have at a minimum. A recommendation however is not a requirement, and I can tell you they simply don't require a driver to have basic liability insurance to operate a motor vehicle on the open roads of the state.
I've lived here most of my life and the insurance requirements have not changed in the 40+ years I've held a NH driver license.
On a roadside traffic stop, proof of insurance is not needed unless the stop is for an accident.

You are right that all kinds of hell will rain down on you once you've had an at fault accident without vehicle insurance, and rightfully so. I know the state of NH is probably one of the only states in the country without an insurance requirement...
Old 06-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Not to be argumentative Marc, what you show is what the state recommends every driver have at a minimum. A recommendation however is not a requirement, and I can tell you they simply don't require a driver to have basic liability insurance to operate a motor vehicle on the open roads of the state.
I've lived here most of my life and the insurance requirements have not changed in the 40+ years I've held a NH driver license.
On a roadside traffic stop, proof of insurance is not needed unless the stop is for an accident.

You are right that all kinds of hell will rain down on you once you've had an at fault accident without vehicle insurance, and rightfully so. I know the state of NH is probably one of the only states in the country without an insurance requirement...
Not to be argumentative, but the link I posted states "REQUIREMENT" not recommendation. That's why I say it's vague.
Vt. has a similar Financial Responsibility law
Old 06-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Here in WA it is very similar to what Marc described. They require some form of financial responsibility.

In My last work truck I carried a little piece of paper that said "We self insure. If you have any questions call (509) xxx-xxxx"

You are not (yet) required to show proof of insurance to register a vehicle.

Regarding liability limits: Many states minimum minimum requirements are not enough to cover the kind of damage that is likely in much of an accident.

I was in an accident in my 15 year old pickup. Insurance paid me $26,000

Went to the ER and had X-rays, IV and some drugs. Insurance paid $11,000.

That was a relatively minor accident. If the guy who hit me had only been carrying minimums I would have had to extract the difference from him.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
This is why my policy shows me having "Uninsured/underinsured motorist". Often their policy may not cover all damages (especially if you have an expensive car) or medical expenses.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:

Makes sense... wait 'till someone without insurance gets in an accident, then slap them with fines they can't likely afford (otherwise they would have had insurance), legal liabilities they can't afford (especially after the fines), and civil damages they'd never be able to afford.

Then they file for bankruptcy & move out of state

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
This is why my policy shows me having "Uninsured/underinsured motorist". Often their policy may not cover all damages (especially if you have an expensive car) or medical expenses.
That works.

It chaps my hide to pay additional for under/uninsured motorist coverage to protect myself from people who choose not to spend enough for adequate coverage.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That works.

It chaps my hide to pay additional for under/uninsured motorist coverage to protect myself from people who choose not to spend enough for adequate coverage.
Chaps you, till you need it. I was in an accident once and required shoulder surgery. I asked the attorney how much we were suing for? He said "policy maximum". I asked how much that was and the incompetent bastard told me $75K. After the $39k surgery I found out they only had $15k in coverage and I just went another $15k in the hole. I have always made sure I had plenty of uninsured coverage. I doubt any of the illegal immigrants have insurance on their cars.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Chaps you, till you need it. I was in an accident once and required shoulder surgery. I asked the attorney how much we were suing for? He said "policy maximum". I asked how much that was and the incompetent bastard told me $75K. After the $39k surgery I found out they only had $15k in coverage and I just went another $15k in the hole. I have always made sure I had plenty of uninsured coverage. I doubt any of the illegal immigrants have insurance on their cars.
Yeah,
it irritates me that I need to spend extra $ to protect myself from folks who are too cheap to buy proper insurance. I pay it but I reserve the right to whine about it
Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Yeah,
it irritates me that I need to spend extra $ to protect myself from folks who are too cheap to buy proper insurance. I pay it but I reserve the right to whine about it
It irritates me on how many $1000's I've had to pay on insurance in general.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #16

In Maryland you are required to repaint the entire bus and REMOVE the flashing lights, front guard bar and stop sign.
cacrowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:48 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
My agent told me uninsured motorist coverage is a waste of money on a bus.
The last agent I had MADE me buy it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: ???
Chassis: chevy express
Engine: v 3500 chevy
my bus is a 2003 chevy express ... i'll be pretty much everywhere, but i'm in MN right now.
anyone have any links to this legal info???
mnexpress2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
This reminds me of an insurance claim I read about - someone had a classic car all restored and book value on old cars like that is hard to calculate - so he bought collector's car insurance for it. The policy had him declare the car's value, which obviously is reflected in the premium. His garage burned down taking the car with it, and the insurance company declared it a total loss. So they're like "here's the $15K you declared your car was worth", to which he replied "But it was worth $25K due to all the 'sweat equity' I had in it". Of course the insurance wasn't about to pay that ... it all went to court ... tried the "Poor Innocent Victim versus the Big Bad Insurance Company" tactic. No, he only got his $15K, for which he had insured the car, minus all the legal expenses.

Insurance is like a parachute or fire extinguisher. It's something you buy and have and hope you never need, but if and when you do, nothing else will really do the job and you need it *RIGHT NOW* (or in the case of insurance coverage, in place when the claim arises).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
This reminds me of an insurance claim I read about - someone had a classic car all restored and book value on old cars like that is hard to calculate - so he bought collector's car insurance for it. The policy had him declare the car's value, which obviously is reflected in the premium. His garage burned down taking the car with it, and the insurance company declared it a total loss. So they're like "here's the $15K you declared your car was worth", to which he replied "But it was worth $25K due to all the 'sweat equity' I had in it". Of course the insurance wasn't about to pay that ... it all went to court ... tried the "Poor Innocent Victim versus the Big Bad Insurance Company" tactic. No, he only got his $15K, for which he had insured the car, minus all the legal expenses.

Insurance is like a parachute or fire extinguisher. It's something you buy and have and hope you never need, but if and when you do, nothing else will really do the job and you need it *RIGHT NOW* (or in the case of insurance coverage, in place when the claim arises).
I bought a house recently. Given the real estate market in that area, I would be doing well to sell it for $40k. The local insurance company says the cost of rebuilding, in the event of a total loss, would be over $150k. Premiums reflected the coverage.

We negotiated a "declared value" policy with the value at $50k. If I suffer a total loss, I will not get enough to rebuild but I will receive enough that I will make a modest profit not counting my time invested.

Tags
equipment, legal