Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: partout
Posts: 18
Year: 2003
Coachwork: ???
Chassis: chevy express
Engine: v 3500 chevy
Rated Cap: 15
how to make a street legal bus

hey team,
so i've finished the build and now i have to make the bus street legal ... can anyone direct me to the requirements i need to fulfill to not get stopped and fined. i'm not referring to how to get registered ... that's been done ... registered! plates! yeah!!!
but what do i need to take off the bus? the stop arm, safety arm i know. anything else? and i have to paint it.
also if anyone can direct me to state requirements and possibly the state that has the most stringent regulations so i can just make it legal for everywhere.
cheers!
mnexpress2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 375
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Start with whatever your current state requires. If you get stopped while transiting another state, at least you'll have an excuse that you did all that was required in state X to get back on the road. Painting it a different color than school bus yellow would be something I'd do first.

Chances are unless the cop is having a bad day or your attitude sets him off somehow, you'll simply drive off with a warning in another more stringent state?

Having the basics: License, registration and insurance are the biggies when travelling interstate. NH where I currently reside, doesn't require vehicle insurance to register a vehicle. While some might find that good, I don't think it is. Getting stopped out of state where proof of insurance is needed, might not work out too well!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,783
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
While proof of insurance is not a requirement for registration in N.H., it is required to drive on the road. So you concerns of getting stopped in a different state is the same as if you were in N.H.
With state reciprocity, if it's legal in your state it is legal in all states.

Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile so we know where you are and what bus you have to better answer your questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Iron Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13
also black out the names i.e the district (Baltimore City, Washington County) and the words school bus
Iron Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 375
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
It is not required in order to drive legally in NH either, Marc. Unfortunately there are way too many folks driving our roads today without any form of insurance.
I have added "uninsured motorist" to my policy which is somewhat reassuring if I were to "meet" an idiot without any insurance, by accident.

IF you are in an "at fault" accident without ins. here, you'd better have deep pockets!
The state will suspend your driving privileges, along with your registration, until restitution is made to the victim in full.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,783
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
It is not required in order to drive legally in NH either, Marc. Unfortunately there are way too many folks driving our roads today without any form of insurance.
I have added "uninsured motorist" to my policy which is somewhat reassuring if I were to "meet" an idiot without any insurance, by accident.

IF you are in an "at fault" accident without ins. here, you'd better have deep pockets!
The state will suspend your driving privileges, along with your registration, until restitution is made to the victim in full.
I agree, it's vague when I read the laws there.:


The bare minimum car insurance requirement for New Hampshire drivers is:

New Hampshire is a bit different from other states. While it does not specifically require you to have vehicle insurance, it does require that all drivers meet their financial responsibilities in the event of an accident. Failure to do so can result in severe penalties that may include monetary fines and jail time. Under New Hampshire’s tort system, you may also be liable for actual damages (expenses associated with property damage and medical costs), economic damages (lost wages and earning capacity) and emotional and physical pain and suffering.

The bare minimum car insurance requirement for New Hampshire drivers is:


$25,000 bodily injury per person per accident
$50,000 bodily injury for all persons per accident
$25,000 property damage liability
$25,000/$50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
$1,000 medical payments coverage per accident
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 375
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30
Engine: 350 Chevy
Rated Cap: 10K
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I agree, it's vague when I read the laws there.:


The bare minimum car insurance requirement for New Hampshire drivers is:

New Hampshire is a bit different from other states. While it does not specifically require you to have vehicle insurance, it does require that all drivers meet their financial responsibilities in the event of an accident. Failure to do so can result in severe penalties that may include monetary fines and jail time. Under New Hampshire’s tort system, you may also be liable for actual damages (expenses associated with property damage and medical costs), economic damages (lost wages and earning capacity) and emotional and physical pain and suffering.

The bare minimum car insurance requirement for New Hampshire drivers is:


$25,000 bodily injury per person per accident
$50,000 bodily injury for all persons per accident
$25,000 property damage liability
$25,000/$50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
$1,000 medical payments coverage per accident
Not to be argumentative Marc, what you show is what the state recommends every driver have at a minimum. A recommendation however is not a requirement, and I can tell you they simply don't require a driver to have basic liability insurance to operate a motor vehicle on the open roads of the state.
I've lived here most of my life and the insurance requirements have not changed in the 40+ years I've held a NH driver license.
On a roadside traffic stop, proof of insurance is not needed unless the stop is for an accident.

You are right that all kinds of hell will rain down on you once you've had an at fault accident without vehicle insurance, and rightfully so. I know the state of NH is probably one of the only states in the country without an insurance requirement...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,783
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Not to be argumentative Marc, what you show is what the state recommends every driver have at a minimum. A recommendation however is not a requirement, and I can tell you they simply don't require a driver to have basic liability insurance to operate a motor vehicle on the open roads of the state.
I've lived here most of my life and the insurance requirements have not changed in the 40+ years I've held a NH driver license.
On a roadside traffic stop, proof of insurance is not needed unless the stop is for an accident.

You are right that all kinds of hell will rain down on you once you've had an at fault accident without vehicle insurance, and rightfully so. I know the state of NH is probably one of the only states in the country without an insurance requirement...
Not to be argumentative, but the link I posted states "REQUIREMENT" not recommendation. That's why I say it's vague.
Vt. has a similar Financial Responsibility law
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,541
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Here in WA it is very similar to what Marc described. They require some form of financial responsibility.

In My last work truck I carried a little piece of paper that said "We self insure. If you have any questions call (509) xxx-xxxx"

You are not (yet) required to show proof of insurance to register a vehicle.

Regarding liability limits: Many states minimum minimum requirements are not enough to cover the kind of damage that is likely in much of an accident.

I was in an accident in my 15 year old pickup. Insurance paid me $26,000

Went to the ER and had X-rays, IV and some drugs. Insurance paid $11,000.

That was a relatively minor accident. If the guy who hit me had only been carrying minimums I would have had to extract the difference from him.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,520
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
This is why my policy shows me having "Uninsured/underinsured motorist". Often their policy may not cover all damages (especially if you have an expensive car) or medical expenses.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
equipment, legal

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.