Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 AM   #11

Year: 1966
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 454
Rated Cap: 43
Re: How to seal leaky windows !!!

SikaFlex. Found at your local marine stores. Water tight like a Dolphins ass.
IsolationRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #12

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Bristol
Chassis: VRT/SL3
Engine: Gardner 6LX
Rated Cap: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolationRide
SikaFlex. Found at your local marine stores. Water tight like a Dolphins ass.
Haha...Beautiful! Thank you for the vivid description...Good enough for a Dolphins ass at 20meters, good enough for me!
DragginVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If you use $ikaflex, make sure it is well within the expiration date. I used a tube (252-W adhesive) on our popup that had a month to go and I simply did not have the muscle to get the goo out of the tube (I used it to glue the FRP panels in the inside of the popup). There are all kinds of Sikaflex and they all seem to be pricey.

I would suggest that you use an elastometric caulk made for repairing leaky roofs (I used Henry's 212 Clear on the bus' fixed glass). I used that to fix a leak on the rear window of the Class C. The water would run off the back side of the RV in a a steady flood and literally beat the latex caulk out (I didn't have much as I had ran out of elastometric and finished up the window install with latex caulk). I finally used the Henry's to seal it. No leaks since. I used a whole tube per window of siliconized latex caulking (for installing doors & windows) when I reinstalled our opening windows (original window frame to metal bus frame, and seated the bottom of the window frame in a heavy bead of caulk). So far no leaks. But I also have the Blue Bird gutters over each window. I think you need to divert the water off the glass with a "J" channel or "L" channel in addition to caulking your windows. Don't use silicone. I pulled globs of that off our windows (both the Class C and the bus.... did not stop any leaks.. just made a mess.

Just my experience.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

What is wrong with using the tubes of automotive windshield stuff.. That's what i have used since it came out. it seals extremely well around windows, plugs holes, etc. It is black, costs around $15 or so a tube and can only be purchased from the automotive paint places.. They also sell many adhesives in tubes specifically designed for auto construction and repair that work very well for conversion projects. (like bonding metal together, sealing joints, repairing car bumpers that are torn, etc)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Polyurethane

Any advice on using polyurethane to re-seal windows? We found some leaks too and were about to go get our floor framing/insulation and decided this needs to get fixed first. We have some polyurethane left over from filling floor holes and since it's water tight, flexible, and can be used on virtually any surface I wondered if anyone else has used it or heard of it. We eventually want to replace windows but I think for now we will just work with what we have. We are definitely replacing some with aluminum sheets later on but it's going to be raining here for days..which gives me plenty of opportunity that find the holes I guess lol

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
What is wrong with using the tubes of automotive windshield stuff.. That's what i have used since it came out. it seals extremely well around windows, plugs holes, etc. It is black, costs around $15 or so a tube and can only be purchased from the automotive paint places.. They also sell many adhesives in tubes specifically designed for auto construction and repair that work very well for conversion projects. (like bonding metal together, sealing joints, repairing car bumpers that are torn, etc)
As long as surfaces are cleaned and prepped properly, this stuff is great.

I have even used it to seal wheel barrow tires.

However, you will never get the window out in one pieces ever again.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
What is the name of the black auto sealant people are using? I found a few kinds but didn't know which brand was best or if it even mattered. Thanks all, great tips and advice as always

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Then there is "Automotive Seam Sealer". Several brands including 3M I believe. Avail at auto paint suppliers. Same thing that is used at the factory for a range of sealing needs. Waterproof, UV stable, remains flexible, comes in black, white gray & tan (that I've seen) and is paintable.

Also removes pretty cleanly when necessary.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #19
Skoolie

I've got black roof seam sealant left over from my roof. As it was advised not to use silicone I'll probably try this roof stuff
EricW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Then there is "Automotive Seam Sealer". Several brands including 3M I believe. Avail at auto paint suppliers. Same thing that is used at the factory for a range of sealing needs. Waterproof, UV stable, remains flexible, comes in black, white gray & tan (that I've seen) and is paintable.

Also removes pretty cleanly when necessary.
I used the 3m automotive seam sealer and it worked out great. Also can remove it if necessary if you go slow, it pops right off. I would imagine that roofing seam sealer would be similar.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote