Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

How to seal leaky windows !!!

Hey all waiting for mother inlaw to bring back camera and ill post pics till then its been raining here which is a good thing i found some leaks around the windows draining down to the floor getting the floor wet and i was just about to lay the insulated borad and osb glad i didnt has any one ran into this problom and what is the best way to seal them so they dont leak anymore i want to take care of this before i lay my skin on the floor. any help would be great thanks.

heath692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Ran into the same problem.

Although eventually I will be replacing all of the windows with either RV windows or sheet steel, the temporary fix was to level the bus. Mine was listing to starboard, allowing the drips from the gutter on the port side to land where they shouldn't have.

Sean
Old 02-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Ran into the same problem.

Although eventually I will be replacing all of the windows with either RV windows or sheet steel, the temporary fix was to level the bus. Mine was listing to starboard, allowing the drips from the gutter on the port side to land where they shouldn't have.

Sean
well since the bus is level it must be something else any ideas has anyone had to fix this proplom i plan on leaving these in for a while windows will be way later in the transformation thanks all for help.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

IF you don't plan to open the windows....or at least some of the windows, you can silicone them closed making sure to seal any place where water might want to seep in.

I only have a couple windows in my bus that I open. The rest are sealed shut. One thing i noticed the first time i took the bus for a drive after the silicone was applied is how much quieter she was. The windows would rattle around when i first brought the bus home (prior to the silicone) making for a lot of added noise.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
IF you don't plan to open the windows....or at least some of the windows, you can silicone them closed making sure to seal any place where water might want to seep in.

I only have a couple windows in my bus that I open. The rest are sealed shut. One thing i noticed the first time i took the bus for a drive after the silicone was applied is how much quieter she was. The windows would rattle around when i first brought the bus home (prior to the silicone) making for a lot of added noise.
thanks lapeer ill do just that like i said im going to do the windows later in the transformation but thats a great quick fix that way i can start the floor this week.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:28 PM   #6
Skoolie

Not sealing any of the windows I like lots of natural light

But the front window which I will eventually replace leaks. I saw silicone which I'm cool but did you put it on the inside or outside or both? Also, can I just insulate all the windows w/o having to seal them perm?

I'd like to do this before I start painting.
----------------
1990 International Ward Volunteer "Fantastic Voyage"
pangaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:35 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Not sealing any of the windows I like lots of natural li

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangaia
But the front window which I will eventually replace leaks. I saw silicone which I'm cool but did you put it on the inside or outside or both? Also, can I just insulate all the windows w/o having to seal them perm?

I'd like to do this before I start painting.
i found were my leaks were coming from i got a ladder went by each window and found that when the bus was built they put silicone in the bottom corners of all the windows. i guess this was somthing they did at the factory. but anyway i found that the sealing they did was getting hard and cracked so i removed all the old stuff and recalked it all and to my surprise no more leaks. now my frount window did leak alittle i used a clear silicone there all around the outside (thin bead) and no more leaks.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:28 AM   #8

Look to your gutters as well

I have the same leaky windows. Even after I scraped and re-caulked, I had 2 that would pour water onto the floor. I finally watched them in the rain, and discovered that the rain gutter above the window had an uneven join that directed water right onto the sill of the window. This constant splashing was spraying water all along the glass, and it was leaking in above the new seal.

For the very short term, I screwed some long screws into the join on the gutter - now the water runs along the screw and falls to earth 1.5" farther from the bus, missing the window sill. Sure, it looks pretty silly. And, I caulked the entire window.

Long term - I'm putting in eaves/gutters that can handle a reasonable volume of rain.

TinnedFish
TinnedFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Re: How to seal leaky windows !!!

Long term - I'm putting in eaves/gutters that can handle a reasonable volume of rain.

TinnedFish

Do you have a pic of your water diversion you did with the screw?

my question is how are you going to put on eaves and gutters
my skoolie is stationary and I would love to be able to collect rainwater.

thanks
Lindy
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: ISB Cummings
Rated Cap: 84

We also having water come in through our windows- and as the snow was melting we noticed it was an issue of it coming off the roof and into the windows. We've been tossing the idea of gutters around too. Rainwater collection would be great!
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #11

Year: 1966
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 454
Rated Cap: 43

SikaFlex. Found at your local marine stores. Water tight like a Dolphins ass.
IsolationRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #12

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Bristol
Chassis: VRT/SL3
Engine: Gardner 6LX
Rated Cap: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolationRide
SikaFlex. Found at your local marine stores. Water tight like a Dolphins ass.
Haha...Beautiful! Thank you for the vivid description...Good enough for a Dolphins ass at 20meters, good enough for me!
DragginVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

If you use $ikaflex, make sure it is well within the expiration date. I used a tube (252-W adhesive) on our popup that had a month to go and I simply did not have the muscle to get the goo out of the tube (I used it to glue the FRP panels in the inside of the popup). There are all kinds of Sikaflex and they all seem to be pricey.

I would suggest that you use an elastometric caulk made for repairing leaky roofs (I used Henry's 212 Clear on the bus' fixed glass). I used that to fix a leak on the rear window of the Class C. The water would run off the back side of the RV in a a steady flood and literally beat the latex caulk out (I didn't have much as I had ran out of elastometric and finished up the window install with latex caulk). I finally used the Henry's to seal it. No leaks since. I used a whole tube per window of siliconized latex caulking (for installing doors & windows) when I reinstalled our opening windows (original window frame to metal bus frame, and seated the bottom of the window frame in a heavy bead of caulk). So far no leaks. But I also have the Blue Bird gutters over each window. I think you need to divert the water off the glass with a "J" channel or "L" channel in addition to caulking your windows. Don't use silicone. I pulled globs of that off our windows (both the Class C and the bus.... did not stop any leaks.. just made a mess.

Just my experience.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

What is wrong with using the tubes of automotive windshield stuff.. That's what i have used since it came out. it seals extremely well around windows, plugs holes, etc. It is black, costs around $15 or so a tube and can only be purchased from the automotive paint places.. They also sell many adhesives in tubes specifically designed for auto construction and repair that work very well for conversion projects. (like bonding metal together, sealing joints, repairing car bumpers that are torn, etc)
Old 05-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
Polyurethane

Any advice on using polyurethane to re-seal windows? We found some leaks too and were about to go get our floor framing/insulation and decided this needs to get fixed first. We have some polyurethane left over from filling floor holes and since it's water tight, flexible, and can be used on virtually any surface I wondered if anyone else has used it or heard of it. We eventually want to replace windows but I think for now we will just work with what we have. We are definitely replacing some with aluminum sheets later on but it's going to be raining here for days..which gives me plenty of opportunity that find the holes I guess lol

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
What is wrong with using the tubes of automotive windshield stuff.. That's what i have used since it came out. it seals extremely well around windows, plugs holes, etc. It is black, costs around $15 or so a tube and can only be purchased from the automotive paint places.. They also sell many adhesives in tubes specifically designed for auto construction and repair that work very well for conversion projects. (like bonding metal together, sealing joints, repairing car bumpers that are torn, etc)
As long as surfaces are cleaned and prepped properly, this stuff is great.

I have even used it to seal wheel barrow tires.

However, you will never get the window out in one pieces ever again.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis International
Engine: DT466
What is the name of the black auto sealant people are using? I found a few kinds but didn't know which brand was best or if it even mattered. Thanks all, great tips and advice as always

Mocrab
https://thecrabshomestead.wordpress.com/category/tiny-house-skoolie/

thecrabshomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Then there is "Automotive Seam Sealer". Several brands including 3M I believe. Avail at auto paint suppliers. Same thing that is used at the factory for a range of sealing needs. Waterproof, UV stable, remains flexible, comes in black, white gray & tan (that I've seen) and is paintable.

Also removes pretty cleanly when necessary.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #19
Skoolie

I've got black roof seam sealant left over from my roof. As it was advised not to use silicone I'll probably try this roof stuff
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Then there is "Automotive Seam Sealer". Several brands including 3M I believe. Avail at auto paint suppliers. Same thing that is used at the factory for a range of sealing needs. Waterproof, UV stable, remains flexible, comes in black, white gray & tan (that I've seen) and is paintable.

Also removes pretty cleanly when necessary.
I used the 3m automotive seam sealer and it worked out great. Also can remove it if necessary if you go slow, it pops right off. I would imagine that roofing seam sealer would be similar.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote