Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 6 Cyl Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 46
I did it... Now what?

I am happy to say after hours, days and weeks of grueling searches, disappointment, and frustration that I enjoyed every minute of. I finally bought a Bus today.

It is a 2001 Bluebird Commercial Government transport. Some may think I paid a bit too much for it but with under 90,000 miles and 3/4 conversion a generator, 3 a/c units, heaters, electricity ran, electrical outlets, toilet, a backup mirror, etc. I just thought it was the right move.

We had always had in mind having to pull up the flooring when we bought a conversion, sanding it down, rustproofing, then laying down sub, underlayment, etc. However It has been in dry climate it's entire life and we are tempted to leave the floor alone as it is a diamond plate stainless steel.

This forum has been such a good source of help and knowledge I thought I would reach out for some input.

Also we are trying to figure out the best way to incorporate a shower close to the stainless toilet stall but would like some ideas there as well.

eBay

truth2ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Looks nice. Those power tech genius start around $5k I believe.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Wow, I would love to know the history and use of that bus

The SS or Polished Alum seating with grates in foot area, steel floor and the front door is even odd

With AC, Generator and a toilet???

And only some seats have hand rails maybe a tour bus for area 51

@eastcoastcb
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe used to haul inmates around to maintain roads or something?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice bus!!! to me you didnt oay too much for what you got.. i see people pay that much or more for a regular school bus..

esp if you are planning in keeping the Air-Cond and generator, floors, toilet, windows etc..

an ISC with an MD3060 (unlocked 6th gear already too!)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Skoolie

I listed that bus here and was hoping someone might buy it. I need some land to work on one now or I might have been in that auction. I can't wait to see your progress! Todd
Old 09-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I'll give you the credit then!!!

I couldn't remember who showed that to me on here but I knew that was how I found out about it! Guys like you and many others on here have been a great help.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Bus

It is my understanding this bus was used by homeland security to transport detainees/prisoners from point A to point B.

About 15 miles a day RT which accounts for the low mileage.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #9

So that was you I was bidding against last night. Good luck, I don't think you paid to much, considering the low miles and some of features it came with, camera, cruse & generator.
Oldtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I would bad but...

... I really did need this bus. If you read my original post I couldn't see or haven't found anything out there close to what I needed. Thanks for letting me win it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtom View Post
So that was you I was bidding against last night. Good luck, I don't think you paid to much, considering the low miles and some of features it came with, camera, cruse & generator.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I thought it would be better to just stay in this forum then a new one.

I finally was able to pick up my bus and it is more bus then I ever imagined.
Apparently it was indeed used by Homeland security to transport detainees but originally it was set up as a command center. As it is already equipped with plumbing, the generator, power converters, set up to run off grid, has a inside and outside PA system, Surveillance cameras,Taledega premium leather high back air seats, just an amazing bus.

Now it’s crunch time. Time to decide to insulate or not insulate, if I do should I strip the bus down to the metal or just over top the existing outer metal? I did pull a top panel down and they used what looks like. 1” foam insulation with reflective backing. It seems a lot of folks are motivated by doing the floor because of rust but for a bus that has been in a warm dry climate, covered by another layer of metal over the typical floor is rust really going to be a problem up to this point?

I will also say that if I do strip it down there is a lot more steel to go through then a regular school bus. They took out the cages but left everything else in tact.

Another question I have is the metal conduit on the ceiling. I looked behind that and there is some pretty hefty electrical wiring but not nearly as much as the massive conduit. How do most people deal with that?

So I guess to sum up in a couple questions do I strip down to mateal or insulate over outer shell, and what’s the best way to deal with the metal conduit?
Attached Thumbnails
29A41EB9-439A-4C88-8F94-E0CC65C30868.jpeg