Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by scloughcarroll View Post
So just wanted to throw this is as I am in BC and in the process of finishing my build and getting the bus inspected and registered as a RV.

I heard from my broker here that they will not insure any vehicle that is a full time live in or that has a wood stove..... we all knew about the live-in I think which is why we say we are turning it into an RV not a tiny house or something but I was surprised by the stove, to some extent. But she flat out told me they wont insure anything with a wood burning stove, so I will get my conversion through the process and add it after LOL

Just for anyone in BC, maybe its not true but why take the chance
You realize you will be driving with no valid insurance. You'll have paperwork to appease the LEO, but in the event of a claim they will deny it if the stove is in there.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #42
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You won't be LOL'ing when you're in an accident, the claims adjuster notices the wood stove and your claim is denied.
Sorry I like to laugh at ICBC whenever possible, what else am I to do?

Also, don't worry, I am well aware of the implications of going against insurance, but given we have one provider, I do not have much choice in the matter. I would prefer to not use propane to heat my bus because of condensation and personal preference to limit its use on the bus to my hot water and stove.

Having lived my entire life using wood stoves in homes I know how to properly install, use and maintain a stove and am not worried about burning down my home with it.

ALSO, just a note, when the insurance adjuster notices you have been living in the skoolie full time your insurance is voided anyway because of another of ICBC's guidelines..... so what's the difference for me? I'm screwed either way from the go from being able to live in my conversion full time whether its wood stove or admitting to my living situation.

I'm not trying to be a disrespectful shite going against common sense and the rules, I'm a converter versed in the subject with no option but to break the rules. hopefully, insurance providers will catch onto the trend and offer an option to have the stove inspected and included in the insurance rather than a blanket ban

If I can find a policy that would allow me to have it trust I will take it
scloughcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by scloughcarroll View Post
Sorry I like to laugh at ICBC whenever possible, what else am I to do?

Also, don't worry, I am well aware of the implications of going against insurance, but given we have one provider, I do not have much choice in the matter. I would prefer to not use propane to heat my bus because of condensation and personal preference to limit its use on the bus to my hot water and stove.

Having lived my entire life using wood stoves in homes I know how to properly install, use and maintain a stove and am not worried about burning down my home with it.

ALSO, just a note, when the insurance adjuster notices you have been living in the skoolie full time your insurance is voided anyway because of another of ICBC's guidelines..... so what's the difference for me? I'm screwed either way from the go from being able to live in my conversion full time whether its wood stove or admitting to my living situation.

I'm not trying to be a disrespectful shite going against common sense and the rules, I'm a converter versed in the subject with no option but to break the rules. hopefully, insurance providers will catch onto the trend and offer an option to have the stove inspected and included in the insurance rather than a blanket ban

If I can find a policy that would allow me to have it trust I will take it
I don't really blame you for lying to an insurance company about a wood stove, I'm more skeptical of whether you could get away with it. For an insurer, proving that you're living in a skoolie/RV is probably a lot more difficult than proving that you installed a wood stove (which might be easily visible from crash scene photos).

FWIW diesel air heaters seem to be a viable alternative to wood stoves and propane, and apparently insurance companies don't have a problem with them. I plan to do that or electric heat, myself.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #44
Almost There

I agree, maybe not too hard to prove either in my case as I will have my whole life in that bus alongside our cats and office space haha

Good idea on the diesel heater, I may have to rethink them, I like that it uses the same fuel as the bus and prefer it to propane. I'm in love with the feel of the wood stove though, and the heat it provides I have always loved so I am pushing hard for one.

Hoping with more searching I will be able to find a way to get it in the bus in a way the insurance providers will accept, but time will tell. I'm not one that enjoys taking unnecessary risks and would love it if I can get it done per guidelines and code.

I'm just leaving the heating system out of the build, for now, I haven't purchased the stove yet just getting the bus in shape to be inspected and checked by ICBC, have my propane inspected etc then when I can drive it without temporary permits I'll face off with it again
scloughcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
did they say anything about coal stoves? splitting hairs here or abusing a technicality
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
did they say anything about coal stoves? splitting hairs here or abusing a technicality
As I understand it, basically any kind of solid fuel heater is out - so no wood, pellets or coal. Technically that would also rule out nuclear reactors, but you could always try arguing that uranium isn't really "fuel" since it doesn't react with other substances to produce heat.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You realize you will be driving with no valid insurance. You'll have paperwork to appease the LEO, but in the event of a claim they will deny it if the stove is in there.
If they take your money then you have insurance until they send you a cancellation notice.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 AM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e, Alison 2000 transmission
Roof raise

Has anyone done a roof raise in bc and has got it inspected to make it legal?

Trying to figure to figure out if it can be done in bc.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Markusbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Wood stove , roof raise etc. This brings up an interesting point about insurance. It may matter if you have a wood stove if you want full coverage. Does it matter for just liability coverage? Liability coverage just covers the damage to others. So not sure how haveing or not having a wood stove could effect that. For full coverage the risk of burning the bus would of course become a factor for insurance. Has anyone looked into whether the type of coverage matters? and would allow greater freedom in your build?
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #50
Bus Geek

I have RV insurance from Allstate, liability-only. I asked my agent about wood stoves and she said absolutely not, even for the liability-only policy. The concern is that your bus would catch fire and damage neighboring vehicles and buildings, or that people on the bus would be injured or killed. In a lawsuit things like this would be compensated out of that policy.

I also explained that a lot of skooliers have wood stoves and that they must not be telling their insurers about them. She said that the discovery of something like a wood stove in the course of a claim investigation would be grounds for retroactive cancellation of the policy. You'd at least get all of your premiums reimbursed, but you'd still be screwed.

She said the same goes for roof decks.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

I wonder if you had the wood stove or the rooftop deck during the time of your inspection if that would assist or if it would cause problems
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #52
Almost There

Updating this thread with final result

I had the bus inspected at a local mechanic, and put it through ICBC with no issue.

I called a mechanic and asked for a private vehicle inspection for an RV, gave them my bus info and brought it.

The checklist is available online https://www.cvse.ca/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3199.pdf

I used this to ensure the truck was ready and in general made sure everything was tight, clean and functioning properly and looked well installed.

$350 later the bus was given a decal, the guy had a couple of items he told me privately to fix(a couple of lights not functioning properly), but did not say anything about my electrical, rooftop deck, new front door etc he said he could tell a lot of work went into the project and was happy.

I then went to ICBC, I gave them the approved inspection paperwork and asked for it to be transferred to an RV title and insured, they did it without looking in the bus... they just asked if it had the 5 items required (water, bed, heat, cooking area, self-contained) and that was it.

I walked out with plates and have not gone back!

Funny note now though, I need to go back. When they changed the title they left the seating capacity at 72..... like what? It's clearly only a single-seater now. So that goes to show the due process that went into it from the insurance side.

Anyway I hope this helps, my mechanic also knew me for the 4 years I built the bus and knew of the project along the way so that probably helped.

My recommendation is if you are doing a roof raise or any build maybe try to find a licensed inspector and go chat with them, tell them what you are planning to do and then they will help you out. Or if you are just going in as I did just keep it clean and professional and follow the checklist!

Tags
icbc