Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 03:54 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
At the college of new calladonia there is a vehicle inspection course going for $790 I was debating taking it just so I could do a roof raise and pass my own inspection then insure it as a motor home or a you built
cool idea, maybe help other skoolie owners?

Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:57 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
“Go get inspected”... by whom? Serious question. Who’s that RCMP officer asking you to go see? Also, the point of all this is to make temporary changes to get the classification changed from commercial to recreational, isn’t it?
Not police (RCMP) but commercial vehicle inspectors since ICBC may want the bus insured as a commercial vehicle.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Not police (RCMP) but commercial vehicle inspectors since ICBC may want the bus insured as a commercial vehicle.

Once you passed the hurdle of a classification change, they won't care. If you have the correct paperwork, they will accept the previous inspectors decision.

Obviously, if you were to rip out everything you did to pass inspection, put chairs back in and start carrying passengers, they will be interested again. But not because your classification as rec vehicle was incorrect.

With regards to not passing it, rules are rules. For each of the items described i meet what is defined there. Anyway, I'll probably be attempting this approach when I get that far, so we will see
brijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Icbc

on the path to get my skoolie - still lurking and learning - eyeing up where I may be able to get the best deal for my $, what motors/transmissions/rear end ratios, etc, etc - this morning I phoned my local (small town ) agent about a trip permit to bring a bus home - "get a permit from the province the bus is located in, phone my agent and pay for the insurance by cc" - simple! - she also advised that I get a transfer permit amply long in case I have trouble along the way - didn't sound like I'd have much of a problem changing the classification to motorhome, provided I abided by the rules
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Coachwork: 32' Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner, with FABCO 4x4 conversion and 6"lift
Engine: 6.7 Cummins 300hp
Rated Cap: 15 plus storage area
hello, I would also like to chat with your skoolie friendly ICBC broker. Do you have his or her contact info? thx!
scoolienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Yes if you could share I’m sure others on here might find it if use
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
Yes if you could share I’m sure others on here might find it if use
Western Financial Group Inc.
Insurance agency in Salmo, British Columbia
Address: 118 Main St, Salmo, BC V0G 1Z0
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 9 a.m. Mon.
Province: British Columbia
Phone: (250) 357-2256
I started out by asking how the permit process worked bringing a bus to BC from another province - then I asked what was involved in getting it registered as motorhome
Old 04-16-2019, 01:00 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

hello, Does anyone know for sure if i have to have black and grey water tanks under my bus in order to get my bus registered as a motorhome?
Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

hello, so if i am using a Nature's head composting toilet, this would not be acceptable for me to qualify for "motorhome" status? please let me know. thx!
Old 04-16-2019, 01:25 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolienewbie View Post
hello, Does anyone know for sure if i have to have black and grey water tanks under my bus in order to get my bus registered as a motorhome?
I just phoned an ICB office and asked what I needed to change the registration to MH - they were right back with a straight forward answer - I'd suggest giving your local office or franchise a phone call - took me 2 or 3 minutes to get the answer, then you know what's needed for sure
Old 04-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolienewbie View Post
hello, so if i am using a Nature's head composting toilet, this would not be acceptable for me to qualify for "motorhome" status? please let me know. thx!
There are usually 6 requirements for a bus converted to an RV. Only 4 of the 6 requirements need to be installed.
Potable water source
cook facilities
sleeping facility
electric supply
heat or AC
Toilet facility

So, a NH would be exceptable though not required.
Some states say the toilet must be evacuated into a black water tank, but the rule is old and many places except compost as okay.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #32
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Rated Cap: 72
Any more news on the certification and title change?

Hey all, In the middle of my build, on the coast of BC and trying to hash out the details on the safety inspection. I have called my local inspection place, Icbc etc and gotten the same details as below.

I have a bunch of add on's, Rooftop deck, roof racks, big solar array installed and am also adding storage, genny, mini split etc to the undercarriage I'm doing my best to adhere to CMVSS and CSA standards but as everyone knows its a weird middle ground..... anyone with these modifications had any trouble with inspections?

Also adding a wood stove.... wondering what the inspector will say about having a chimney!

Also propane, saw this has to be certified on install as well?
scloughcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

my information from ICBC is too limited to give you advice - the process of getting a bus title changed to MH is pretty straight forward, but all the marks have to be met and inspections done to qualify
Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The only issue might be the WB stove, many insurance companies frown upon them.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by scloughcarroll View Post
Hey all, In the middle of my build, on the coast of BC and trying to hash out the details on the safety inspection. I have called my local inspection place, Icbc etc and gotten the same details as below.

I have a bunch of add on's, Rooftop deck, roof racks, big solar array installed and am also adding storage, genny, mini split etc to the undercarriage I'm doing my best to adhere to CMVSS and CSA standards but as everyone knows its a weird middle ground..... anyone with these modifications had any trouble with inspections?

Also adding a wood stove.... wondering what the inspector will say about having a chimney!

Also propane, saw this has to be certified on install as well?
So long as you remain within the guidelines for height and /or protrusions your chimney should be fine. As for getting the gas checked, if you're on the coast then there should be no shortage of food trucks around. Go talk to them and find out who they deal with. As food trucks have things like vent/exhaust stacks and a requirement to have their propane inspected (IIRC it's annually) The only conundrum there is making sure your inspector reviews the MH/non commercial regs. But the foodie community has likely done most of your leg work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The only issue might be the WB stove, many insurance companies frown upon them.
ICBC, is a bit of a sh!tshow. Some provincial tasks for vehicle inspection and insurance get kind of "grey" as ICBC drives the "bus" if you will (see what I did there) on what inspections are needed and by whom.....This why us West Coasters tell the new folk that BC stands for Bring Cash.

However only your basic liability coverage has to be through them. You can get your additional/comprehensive etc from anyone else, that's why most people in BC find a good broker, that can navigate the ICBC'isms and then find you a good deal on your extra coverage.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #36
Almost There

Year: 1994
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Do not add your stove before insuring apparently

So just wanted to throw this is as I am in BC and in the process of finishing my build and getting the bus inspected and registered as a RV.

I heard from my broker here that they will not insure any vehicle that is a full time live in or that has a wood stove..... we all knew about the live-in I think which is why we say we are turning it into an RV not a tiny house or something but I was surprised by the stove, to some extent. But she flat out told me they wont insure anything with a wood burning stove, so I will get my conversion through the process and add it after LOL

Just for anyone in BC, maybe its not true but why take the chance
scloughcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by scloughcarroll View Post
I will get my conversion through the process and add it after LOL
You won't be LOL'ing when you're in an accident, the claims adjuster notices the wood stove and your claim is denied.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
You won't be LOL'ing when you're in an accident, the claims adjuster notices the wood stove and your claim is denied.
That is a common misconception. They will cancel your policy if they find out about the wood stove but they will not deny your claim.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That is a common misconception. They will cancel your policy if they find out about the wood stove but they will not deny your claim.
I've never been through this personally, but from googling it seems that at least sometimes insurers will deny claims when a vehicle turns out to have had unapproved modifications. Maybe a wood stove is different since you couldn't plausibly blame it for a vehicular accident (unless you were using it while driving). You know of skoolie or RV owners who got into an accident with an unapproved wood stove and then got their policy cancelled but their claim was paid?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I've never been through this personally, but from googling it seems that at least sometimes insurers will deny claims when a vehicle turns out to have had unapproved modifications. Maybe a wood stove is different since you couldn't plausibly blame it for a vehicular accident (unless you were using it while driving). You know of skoolie or RV owners who got into an accident with an unapproved wood stove and then got their policy cancelled but their claim was paid?
Skoolie? No. Factory built RV? Yes.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icbc