Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
ICBC info on conversions

I got this from my autoplan broker this afternoon.

Definition of a motor home (vehicle type 5)

Motor home means a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for accommodation during travel or recreation, but does not include a motor vehicle that has attached to it a structure:

• designed or used primarily for accommodation during travel or recreation, and

• designed or intended to be detachable

This exception is intended to exclude campers mounted on pickup trucks from motor home status.

Design requirements

ICBC interprets "designed primarily for accommodation" to mean a motor vehicle that has sleeping facilities and at least three of the following attached to the chassis in a manner that requires a tool for removal:

• cooking facilities

• refrigeration or icebox facilities

• self-contained toilet (not capable of easy removal like a porta-potty type)

• heating or air conditioning facilities independent of the vehicle's motor

• potable water supply system including a faucet and a sink

If the vehicle that you are registering cannot meet the qualifications that "designed primarily for accommodation" requires, the body style would likely be one of the following:

• a station wagon

• a van or window van

• a leisure van

When registering a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for accommodation during travel or recreation, use body style MOHOM and body style code 60.

Van or bus conversion

Converted vans and buses may be registered as motor homes, provided they meet the design requirements and the living quarters are permanently attached to the vehicle. This may include vehicles described by motor dealers as campers/campwagons or van conversions.

Structural changes require a "passed" BC Vehicle Inspection Report (CVSE0013 or CVSE0014) if not completed by a Transport Canada-approved secondary vehicle manufacturer or if the vehicle is classed as a ubilt.

What qualifies as a motor home

The Motor Vehicle Act describes a motor home as a vehicle that is primarily used and designed for accommodation during travel and recreation. If you are unsure whether a vehicle qualifies, pictures may be helpful, especially for ubilt motor homes. Start by looking for a door, windows, ventilation for cooking, and a bathroom.

Fixtures

Certain fixtures must be attached in a way that requires tools to remove them. ICBC also require that the vehicle modifications will meet Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as established by Transport Canada and that all the fixtures and materials, including plumbing and wiring, will be Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved. For contact information, see Canadian Standards Association .

Water Supply

A potable water supply means fresh water for drinking. This supply would be kept in a sanitary holding tank that will prevent contamination and should utilize a pump operated by a deep cycle storage battery to deliver the water to a sink, shower, or toilet. Just bringing a hose to the side of the vehicle is not acceptable. It must have its own independent water supply. Note, though, that many RV parks do provide fresh water hookups, and this is acceptable.

Cooking facilities

As a minimum, the cooking facilities should include a refrigerator, cooktop, and a stove or microwave. A propane tank installed under the vehicle usually fuels appliances. The entire propane installation must be certified as safe by an inspector approved by the Gas Safety Program. For contact information, see BC Safety Authority . The fridge may use electricity (12 VDC or 110 VAC) as an alternate source of power, and many do, but must also be able to operate independently. The interior lighting and, sometimes, a microwave, will operate off a deep cycle 12 volt battery. Many RV parks provide electrical hookups as an alternative to the battery or an onboard generator.

Heating and air conditioning

The heat source that we ask for is usually attached to the propane system. A thermostat within the vehicle is used to regulate the temperature. An electrical heater powered by an external source does not qualify as the primary heat source. The air conditioning unit is usually mounted on the roof of the vehicle and is separate from the air conditioner that is powered by the vehicle's motor and used while travelling. The air conditioner for the living quarters is usually powered by electricity.

Holding tanks

With a sink and a shower, we also expect that there will be a grey water tank under the vehicle to hold the water until the next sani-station. With a toilet, we would insist on a black water tank under the vehicle to hold the sewage until the next sani-station. Without these tanks, the sink, shower, and toilet would have to be considered as incomplete and unusable.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
pretty much the norm listing for most of us
gbstewart
Old 06-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 8.3l 12v
Rated Cap: 84 pax
Wood stoves?

Know anything about the regulations regarding them?

And where in SE BC are you? I'm in Revy along with another converter.. both just at the beginning of conversions
N'om'ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn View Post
I got this from my autoplan broker this afternoon.

Definition of a motor home (vehicle type 5)

Motor home means a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for accommodation during travel or recreation, but does not include a motor vehicle that has attached to it a structure:

• designed or used primarily for accommodation during travel or recreation, and

• designed or intended to be detachable

This exception is intended to exclude campers mounted on pickup trucks from motor home status.

Design requirements

ICBC interprets "designed primarily for accommodation" to mean a motor vehicle that has sleeping facilities and at least three of the following attached to the chassis in a manner that requires a tool for removal:

• cooking facilities

• refrigeration or icebox facilities

• self-contained toilet (not capable of easy removal like a porta-potty type)

• heating or air conditioning facilities independent of the vehicle's motor

• potable water supply system including a faucet and a sink

If the vehicle that you are registering cannot meet the qualifications that "designed primarily for accommodation" requires, the body style would likely be one of the following:

• a station wagon

• a van or window van

• a leisure van

When registering a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for accommodation during travel or recreation, use body style MOHOM and body style code 60.

Van or bus conversion

Converted vans and buses may be registered as motor homes, provided they meet the design requirements and the living quarters are permanently attached to the vehicle. This may include vehicles described by motor dealers as campers/campwagons or van conversions.

Structural changes require a "passed" BC Vehicle Inspection Report (CVSE0013 or CVSE0014) if not completed by a Transport Canada-approved secondary vehicle manufacturer or if the vehicle is classed as a ubilt.

What qualifies as a motor home

The Motor Vehicle Act describes a motor home as a vehicle that is primarily used and designed for accommodation during travel and recreation. If you are unsure whether a vehicle qualifies, pictures may be helpful, especially for ubilt motor homes. Start by looking for a door, windows, ventilation for cooking, and a bathroom.

Fixtures

Certain fixtures must be attached in a way that requires tools to remove them. ICBC also require that the vehicle modifications will meet Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards as established by Transport Canada and that all the fixtures and materials, including plumbing and wiring, will be Canadian Standards Association (CSA) approved. For contact information, see Canadian Standards Association .

Water Supply

A potable water supply means fresh water for drinking. This supply would be kept in a sanitary holding tank that will prevent contamination and should utilize a pump operated by a deep cycle storage battery to deliver the water to a sink, shower, or toilet. Just bringing a hose to the side of the vehicle is not acceptable. It must have its own independent water supply. Note, though, that many RV parks do provide fresh water hookups, and this is acceptable.

Cooking facilities

As a minimum, the cooking facilities should include a refrigerator, cooktop, and a stove or microwave. A propane tank installed under the vehicle usually fuels appliances. The entire propane installation must be certified as safe by an inspector approved by the Gas Safety Program. For contact information, see BC Safety Authority . The fridge may use electricity (12 VDC or 110 VAC) as an alternate source of power, and many do, but must also be able to operate independently. The interior lighting and, sometimes, a microwave, will operate off a deep cycle 12 volt battery. Many RV parks provide electrical hookups as an alternative to the battery or an onboard generator.

Heating and air conditioning

The heat source that we ask for is usually attached to the propane system. A thermostat within the vehicle is used to regulate the temperature. An electrical heater powered by an external source does not qualify as the primary heat source. The air conditioning unit is usually mounted on the roof of the vehicle and is separate from the air conditioner that is powered by the vehicle's motor and used while travelling. The air conditioner for the living quarters is usually powered by electricity.

Holding tanks

With a sink and a shower, we also expect that there will be a grey water tank under the vehicle to hold the water until the next sani-station. With a toilet, we would insist on a black water tank under the vehicle to hold the sewage until the next sani-station. Without these tanks, the sink, shower, and toilet would have to be considered as incomplete and unusable.
You should work for ICBC they don't have a clue what they are talking about. After we were given the wrong info many times and our van is nearly finished it will never pass as a Class B motorhome as we do not have black and grey mounted water tanks under the van and a permanent toilet. (Have a portable potty). Also ICBC did not even bring up the need for a heat source. Devestated that we have had to buy APV300 insurance to cover the extra money we have put into the van. We are now at around 3k and we have 43% discount.

Trying to find out from a broker the decrease in premiums will be worth us potentially have to undo a lot of the work we have done to get things passed.

ICBC is the very worst cooperation I have ever had to deal with.
Sprinter4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Is there a difference there between a Motor Home and a Recreational Vehicle? I see a lot is required to have a toilet. Must be semi permanently secured, need a black tank. But it seems you don't need any of that because they use the same 4 of 6 rule everyone else does.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Seems that everyone at ICBC has a different requirement. We are working with a broker now and hope to get it passed as a class B in the next couple of weeks.
Sprinter4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

updates please

Hi chaps,

I've been following this thread with interest and wondered if anyone has got any further information?

I saw the last post was written in August, how did you get on?

We are looking to pick up our bus this week in B.C and I have spoken to a couple of autoplan people. I feel relatively confident that the process can work but I wanted to clarify what went well for you guys/ recommended brokers/ any further information before we take the plunge.

The first 2 autoplan brokers I spoke to looked at me like I had come from Mars when I asked for input. They proceeded to panic and make some stuff up on the spot which didn't correlate with any research and I think they were as happy to see me leave as I was to get out of there.

Thanks for your time fellas.
Maddog88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog88 View Post
Hi chaps,

I've been following this thread with interest and wondered if anyone has got any further information?

I saw the last post was written in August, how did you get on?

We are looking to pick up our bus this week in B.C and I have spoken to a couple of autoplan people. I feel relatively confident that the process can work but I wanted to clarify what went well for you guys/ recommended brokers/ any further information before we take the plunge.

The first 2 autoplan brokers I spoke to looked at me like I had come from Mars when I asked for input. They proceeded to panic and make some stuff up on the spot which didn't correlate with any research and I think they were as happy to see me leave as I was to get out of there.

Thanks for your time fellas.
I have found that it all depends on which broker / person you talk to. I found a broker here in Prince George that was skoolie friendly. I got hung up on the safety inspection. So my build is stalled.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I’m from Prince George as well, who were you talking too I might have to go to them as well, thanks for any info
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
I’m from Prince George as well, who were you talking too I might have to go to them as well, thanks for any info
One caveat they want me to pay commercial for personal use insurance until I convert my bus.

HUB International
1955 Victoria St
Old 10-26-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

At the college of new calladonia there is a vehicle inspection course going for $790 I was debating taking it just so I could do a roof raise and pass my own inspection then insure it as a motor home or a you built
Old 10-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
I can definitely relate to the woes of dealing with ICBC, having insured a few vehicles with them in the past few years. It's always staggeringly expensive. No competition = high prices.

However, we managed to find an Autoplan broker who was on the ball. She spoke directly with ICBC whilst we sat there and printed the info originally posted here.

I'm a little down the line, though frustratingly delayed. We contacted the inspector to be proactive about sign off for our roof raise. He's on board and everything is going ok so far. The rest (weigh-in, actual vehicle inspection and the broker checking the design requirements) is a way off for us yet.

Good luck everyone!
Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Wow that’s awesome I always heard you couldn’t do a roof raise on a bus in bc , but hey if you can lower a roof with your hot rod
Old 10-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
Wow that’s awesome I always heard you couldn’t do a roof raise on a bus in bc , but hey if you can lower a roof with your hot rod
We're not there yet but things are looking ok so far... The inspector said that he basically signs everything modified off and that he was looking for things to be 150% strength of OEM. I'm not sure where that came from, but having him chat everything through with the welder doing the roof raise hopefully means that we're all on the same page.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

That sounds awesome as my original design was pushing the height limits then I heard I wouldn’t be allowed to raise the roof so I was trying to work on a different design but was struggling to come to terms with it good to know there’s people out there willing to work with what we’d like to do, heck I still need to get my bus but I’m trying to find the right one
Old 11-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Hi,

Does anybody know who would validate that the three requirements are met. I received the same ICBC info, but it does not state who checks if the criteria have been met?

I'm looking at meetings these three:
  1. cooking facilities
  2. refrigeration or icebox facilities
  3. potable water supply system including a faucet and a sink

1) Get a cheap cook plate at canadian tire and frame that in, take the microwave from home and attach it all to a cheap (non sine wave) inverter of sufficient capacity. I think that meets all the requirements and does not include ANY propane.

2) The first list specifically mentions ice-box, the more detailed list askes for refrigeration, so if I frame in an icebox (so it can't be moved) I think I meet that list
3) Scepter plastic water tank that is plumbed into a 12V on-demand pump to a faucet to a sink into a bucket. All this framed in for inspection to it needs tools

That should allow me to get it reclassed and then I can start the final build.

Thoughts?

Bas
brijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Sorry to say but I don't think that those would pass. I was told that the insurance broker would do the inspection. But with everything it seams it depends on who you talk to.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Sorry to say but I don't think that those would pass. I was told that the insurance broker would do the inspection. But with everything it seams it depends on who you talk to.

What rule do you think I fail to meet? If it's the insurance broker, that gives some options to share pictures ahead of time and see what they say

Bas
brijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 AM   #19
Bus Nut

The bucket under the sink, the hot plate framed into the counter top, ice box/cooler. What would happen if you were pulled over by commercial vehicle inspection and they said go get inspected?
Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 AM   #20
Site Team

“Go get inspected”... by whom? Serious question. Who’s that RCMP officer asking you to go see? Also, the point of all this is to make temporary changes to get the classification changed from commercial to recreational, isn’t it?
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icbc