Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Insulation and Mold Links

EastCoastCB posted these here, but since these are issues important to us, I figured it'd be best to give them their own thread. And feel free to add to them and our wealth of knowledge

Facts About Insulation and Mold Applegate Insulation

Tech & Specs National Insulation Assoc

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
For the new skoolie folk who keep asking, "Why remove the interior panels?" we should get everyone to post a picture of the moldy insulation found in their buses.
I, unfortunately, didn't take any pictures of my soggy fibreglass insulation...
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Ha! Cool thread!
Not a bus in this pic but what my insulation looked like in some areas-

and more-

http://omegainsulationservices.com/i...insulation.jpg

A SCHOOL BUS-

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:24 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
For the new skoolie folk who keep asking, "Why remove the interior panels?" we should get everyone to post a picture of the moldy insulation found in their buses.
I, unfortunately, didn't take any pictures of my soggy fibreglass insulation...
Agreed. And as I get further aft in my bus, I'm almost positive I know I'll find cruddier insulation.

As I've mentioned elsewhere (I think. 520 isn't conducive to thought processes), most of the mold and potential for mold was found in the insulation along the cable chase above the windows, as seen above

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Since glass isn't the source of mold, maybe we can find out the source and tackle that issue as well. Maybe ventilation?
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Bus Geek

mold grows on the moisture and dirt that gets trapped in the fiberglass.
In a bus, the moisture is the main problem.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blu Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat
Rated Cap: 72
I wasn't going to remove the inside panels, but after reading some of the threads I figured I'd better! Man I'm I glad I did, the insulation wasn't wet but the dust and the smell, I couldn't believe it! I've taken every panel off and have thrown out all the insulation that came with the bus. It smells so much better. I joined this site for advice and tips, I'm glad I listened to this one!
Wandering Websters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Websters View Post
I wasn't going to remove the inside panels, but after reading some of the threads I figured I'd better! Man I'm I glad I did, the insulation wasn't wet but the dust and the smell, I couldn't believe it! I've taken every panel off and have thrown out all the insulation that came with the bus. It smells so much better. I joined this site for advice and tips, I'm glad I listened to this one!
Great to hear.

Build thread for my picture addiction?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Websters View Post
Yep anything worth doin is worth doin RIGHT.

When you're done it will SOOOOOO be worth all the hard work. You'll see others' buses and cringe when you see that they built right over that crap.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:25 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I can also attest to the nastiness of the insulation. Even on my nearly rust free bus there was mold in the insulation especially under the windows where condensation runs down the panels.

As an interesting note, Carpenter only insulated every other opening. The one ceiling panel we removed so far was about 20"x 6' even though the cavity is about 31"x8'. Don't bother with all of the work to build a bus if you aren't willing to remove the panels. At least do the sides, the roof could theoretically be left alone, but why not do it while in demolition phase?

At least on our bus drilling the rivets is no big deal. I did the one side, 15 feet, in about 30 minutes or so. I have read that carpenter did some shoddy riveting but most that I have seen are fine. I used bits that are bigger than the head as well as smaller ones that are just right to make the rivet shank disappear when drilled. With the big bit you have to deal with the shank left in the hole. Ill just use a cut off wheel on those. I don't really understand all the talk of air chisels and destroyed panels, we could reuse my roof panel without even paining it if we wanted to. I have noticed that my bus has far less rivets than some brands so that makes it easier.

I say don't debate this as it is very important to have a solid base to start with, just get it apart and I believe that you will end up saving time in the end as it will be far easier to build out without metal in your way.
75GMCCadet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Duplicate post sorry.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75GMCCadet26 View Post
I can also attest to the nastiness of the insulation. Even on my nearly rust free bus there was mold in the insulation especially under the windows where condensation runs down the panels.

As an interesting note, Carpenter only insulated every other opening. The one ceiling panel we removed so far was about 20"x 6' even though the cavity is about 31"x8'. Don't bother with all of the work to build a bus if you aren't willing to remove the panels. At least do the sides, the roof could theoretically be left alone, but why not do it while in demolition phase?

At least on our bus drilling the rivets is no big deal. I did the one side, 15 feet, in about 30 minutes or so. I have read that carpenter did some shoddy riveting but most that I have seen are fine. I used bits that are bigger than the head as well as smaller ones that are just right to make the rivet shank disappear when drilled. With the big bit you have to deal with the shank left in the hole. Ill just use a cut off wheel on those. I don't really understand all the talk of air chisels and destroyed panels, we could reuse my roof panel without even paining it if we wanted to. I have noticed that my bus has far less rivets than some brands so that makes it easier.

I say don't debate this as it is very important to have a solid base to start with, just get it apart and I believe that you will end up saving time in the end as it will be far easier to build out without metal in your way.
I don't know how your bus is put together. But my bus REQUIRED and air hammer and chisel.

PICS of this please!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Lets not forget the constant source of moisture from the load of little mouth breathers these things were designed to carry. I mean think about how much is going to be kicked off a load of 40 kids in a hot bus. I remember watching the windows get frosted as a kid, that frost has to go some where. Not to mention there are much better forms of insulation available now days vs what was around in the early 90's
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't know how your bus is put together. But my bus REQUIRED and air hammer and chisel.

PICS of this please!
They are pop rivets. Place drill point in hole on flange of rivet and drill, thats it. They are steel but not too hard. Ill post pics when I figure that out. Your's must be hard steel or bucked type rivets?
Old 09-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Mine were steel, some rusty, and there were thousands of them.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I just removed the small 32 inch panel at the rear drivers side. 13 rivets it took 5 minutes despite the fact that I had to pry the panel outward with a panel tool to keep 2 of them from spinning. I guess we are lucky to get off so easy on this stage.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Got the next panel off and there is an elaborate mouse nest in the insulation. Its an old bus but a great argument for the idea that it is always best to pull the panels.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Pics would be gross, but GREAT!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Pics would be gross, but GREAT!
How would I post that from phone without having a pic host?
Old 09-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Email em to me and I'll post em...
Sending PM