Old 09-19-2016, 07:18 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

A different perspective from Canada...
I'm in Nova Scotia and bought the bus already converted. It's a schoolbus converted to a motorhome/racecar hauler (enclosed 16ft back with ramp)
Called the ins company the guy before me used...no way, it wasn't pro done!?!? It was a BUS and nothing I could say about it. Went to "silver wheels" which ins hot rods/antiques/etc. NO WAY, not a pro job. A wife of a guy who works for me is in insurance, she fought for two days and we said whatever they wanted to finally get ins. Got it for the 6months I was going to have it registered (racing season) was $600. following year, THEY won't cover it because it's not pro done! Just to be clear, there are a dozen or more buses running around the Maritimes hauling racecars. Went through several companies and back to this same one for a last kick at the cat because racing season was about to start. Had to get an appraisal. Fine, buddy appraised it at $19,500.....um...they charge so much per value so I got him to state it was worth $12,000. Sent appraisal, registration (which in NS it's classified as a camper) and the girl said "oh, it's registered as a camper?, oh in that case it's $128.00 per year for full coverage, pl/pd/theft/fire/glass/etc" I put ins on it and will never take it off now.
Even if it's only registered 6 months out of the year, I leave full coverage on it all year round now.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #22
Skoolie

Good for you sorry you had to really earn that policy. In the long run it seemd to work out good.
International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Engine: Chevy 350
I just went through the process of getting a quote from Progressive. If I'm honest on their questionnaire and reveal that it is a converted bus of any kind, it immediately says that they absolutely will not cover a converted bus, professional or not. If I put in "Other Class A", it works just fine, I moved on with the questions and got a quote of $222 for six months.

I'm not sure if this is legal or what, but I'm already feeling like this would be my only option.
TheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
BUT.... you have to CALL them to buy the policy. I went the same route, avoiding the word bus when I talked to them... but in the end they still would not insure it.

Read this post, call Max @ National General. He will get you hooked up. My liability policy on a 2005 bus is 81 down, 65 a month.

I've referred a few people here to him after I was referred by the author of the post I linked.... and he's come through for every one of them. I think it took about 2 hours for mine to come through.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoolBus View Post
I just went through the process of getting a quote from Progressive. If I'm honest on their questionnaire and reveal that it is a converted bus of any kind, it immediately says that they absolutely will not cover a converted bus, professional or not. If I put in "Other Class A", it works just fine, I moved on with the questions and got a quote of $222 for six months.

I'm not sure if this is legal or what, but I'm already feeling like this would be my only option.
Which state are you in?
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: CSFE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 25
I had to go through my agent to buy in Maine. I had their blessing and help to use the "commercial for non-commercial use" type of policy. It is about $600 per year paid upfront. This is thru Progressive. You can do installments for more. I said I needed to get it running so I could sell it easier. I have not found a buyer yet.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Engine: Chevy 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Which state are you in?
Minnesota. I'm not sure how much it varies state to state. I was just looking at it today because I now have almost three years of tabs to catch up on and now MN needs proof of insurance to keep up with registration.
TheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I think NY is one of the toughest! I'm having a heck of a time!
tobeamiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Just insured mine this past week thru Progressive.
As an "other" motorhome.
100% online.
Three levels were offered and I chose the middle level of insurance.
$133 per year
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Just insured mine this past week thru Progressive.
As an "other" motorhome.
100% online.
Three levels were offered and I chose the middle level of insurance.
$133 per year
Did you do this online?