Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
Is there a reason to keep hydraulic door opener?

I finally changed my original school bus door in favor of a regular house door, and I'm wondering if there is any reason that I'd want to keep the original hydraulic door opener? If so, how would I make it work considering that the door now opens out?

I expected the door conversion to be much harder, but it only took about an hour. The door was 36 inches and in a frame, but I didn't need the frame because the original bus frame worked great.

I had to cut about 5 inches off the top and another 2 inches off the side, and then I attached the original hinges from the door directly to the metal bus frame using self tapping screws.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0267 (2).jpg   IMG_0268 (2).jpg   IMG_0020.jpg  

Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summ1 View Post
I finally changed my original school bus door in favor of a regular house door, and I'm wondering if there is any reason that I'd want to keep the original hydraulic door opener? If so, how would I make it work considering that the door now opens out?

I expected the door conversion to be much harder, but it only took about an hour. The door was 36 inches and in a frame, but I didn't need the frame because the original bus frame worked great.

I had to cut about 5 inches off the top and another 2 inches off the side, and then I attached the original hinges from the door directly to the metal bus frame using self tapping screws.
I don't see why you would need it. You could fab some sort of lever to change the pull motion to a push motion, but I don't know what benefit (besides being a cool project) it would serve.
It is probably taking up space you could use for something else.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

the only openers i have seen are air doors, not hydraulic. i alway remove the cylinders as there is a space for storage, and cylinders with valve can be used for other applications.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
the only openers i have seen are air doors, not hydraulic. i alway remove the cylinders as there is a space for storage, and cylinders with valve can be used for other applications.
I mistakenly called them hydraulic, but yes they are air powered doors. Please tell me more about removing the cylinders and the storage space that you mentioned?
Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I like that idea!.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

the air cylinder is above the door in the roof on the side of the bus. there is a panel that can be removed (access) and the small line capped off n the cylinder linkage and unbolted. Every bus I have converted, I have removed the cylinder and made a hinged door for storage (small space but usable) Space is appropriate size for pistols, money, etc..
Old 09-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Don'
Coachwork: Don't have one yet
Chassis: Don't have one yet
Engine: Don't have one yet
Rated Cap: Don't have one yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49 View Post
the air cylinder is above the door in the roof on the side of the bus. there is a panel that can be removed (access) and the small line capped off n the cylinder linkage and unbolted. Every bus I have converted, I have removed the cylinder and made a hinged door for storage (small space but usable) Space is appropriate size for pistols, money, etc..
How do you cap off the air line if you remove the old door?
MarkCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I use a ball bearing and an old cap to seal off the air line, just put the ball bearing in the cap/nut and tighten. I cut an oval hole in my space above where my door was and yes a pistol, CD's, maps etc store well there. McMaster Carr has some "U" shaped rubber edge trim to make it look professional and take care of the sheet metal cut problem too. I am sure you cold use some of it for other projects where ragged sheet metal edges create a problem. Need a piano hinge for your project, door handle, lock, look around and you will be amazed at the million of products McMaster Carr has on line, largest hardware store in the world.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote