Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Hummmm, remote would simplify things. I'm thinking out loud here so please chime in. Mount window unit on roof and install air duct from face of A/C through roof 90 degree elbow. The duct to A/C will need to be sealed to prevent water leaking in and cold air escaping... Sort of a poor mans roof top A/C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've been mulling this over in my head for months now. I think it would work great if done right. Even the little cheap ones come with remotes these days which may make it even easier to do.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Hummmm, remote would simplify things. I'm thinking out loud here so please chime in. Mount window unit on roof and install air duct from face of A/C through roof 90 degree elbow. The duct to A/C will need to be sealed to prevent water leaking in and cold air escaping... Sort of a poor mans roof top A/C.
Careful, this post is breaking the rules of Lorna's thread.

I like your idea. I hope others chime in and someone builds one like your describing.

I have no need for AC. In my climate all I need is windows, and common sense.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Back to you Lorna..
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Found this. Cool My Camper - Air Conditioning For Caravans and Motorhomes what do you think? Too bad its 230V and only in the UK.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
This is what came on my bus but it has a 45* elbow and I'll be replacing it next month with one with a remote (wish I'd thought of that).

It actually works pretty good, but I'm taking it all apart and redoing it to ensure it doesn't leak; and if it has, to treat and reseal that area. The controls for the current AC had the wires extended and mounted into the ceiling just in front of the AC vent. I like the remote idea better, actually I'll do both.
gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
FWIW I've been looking and I've seen some universal remotes that work with ac units on ebay.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #17
Bus Nut

That's what I'm talking about. Anymore pictures by chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoq View Post
This is what came on my bus but it has a 45* elbow and I'll be replacing it next month with one with a remote (wish I'd thought of that).

It actually works pretty good, but I'm taking it all apart and redoing it to ensure it doesn't leak; and if it has, to treat and reseal that area. The controls for the current AC had the wires extended and mounted into the ceiling just in front of the AC vent. I like the remote idea better, actually I'll do both.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. Anymore pictures by chance?
I've been concentrating so hard on the garage, I haven't looked at anything forward in the last 6 months.Here are a couple I had from my trip to bring it home.

A profile shot of the front of the bus shows how the previous owner used what I think is roofing tar to seal the box and then painted over it - didn't look good.

This shot is my only interior shot up front. You can see the large square on the left for the AC. The little square in the center is vent that doesn't close. If you look at the rear right of the AC one real close, you can see the shadow of the two AC control knobs.
gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Thanks gizmo , I like the idea but that install could be a lot better. Maybe I will see what the local tinner would charge to bend me a 45 degree duct.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I'd make it longer and with more gradual a slope. Like sort of a mini upside down john boat.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote