Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 01:04 AM   #1

Lifted Roof

I知 a newbie to this community and i値l be starting my conversion in the next year and i知 trying to gain some knowledge about the cost and process currently. I知 curious about the windows for when the roof is lifted. I want to do awning windows along the top, would that be practical and would a normal window retailer company be able to install them on the bus for me or would i have to figure out that part myself? Thanks for the help!

akaysha.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaysha.c View Post
I知 a newbie to this community and i値l be starting my conversion in the next year and i知 trying to gain some knowledge about the cost and process currently. I知 curious about the windows for when the roof is lifted. I want to do awning windows along the top, would that be practical and would a normal window retailer company be able to install them on the bus for me or would i have to figure out that part myself? Thanks for the help!
In general, any double-paned window meant for houses will eventually have its seals (that preserve the inert gas between the panes) fail due to travel vibration (even double-paned RV windows tend to fail in this way), which means they'll get condensation inside and not work very well as far as insulation is concerned. To install them in your bus, you'd have to build special structure to hold them, and if you can figure that out you can probably figure out how to install them yourself as well.

Are you intending to keep the original bus windows after the raise, and place transom windows above to fill the resulting space? If so, you could just put a piece of Lexan (plexiglass) above the bus window. It would not be well-insulated but then neither are the original windows.