Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #1

Long term parking- jack up bus to relieve pressure on tires

Hi
We have an international parked alongside our house that we converted into a sweet studio. It's been there over a year now.

I want to lift the bus and put it on blocks to relieve pressure on tires.
But, I want to do this safely. Bought bottle Jax at harbour freight.

How do you locate " jack points"? And what's the best process steps for jacking it up and blocking for long term parking?

Thanks! Much respect to everyone here! This has been quite a project...and we're still loving it!
Catherine

Schoolbusstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: Ford E350 with Girardin body
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Been wondering this too. I will live in my bus full time and plan to have some jacks on hand to level out the bus if needed. Was wondering what points to put the jacks under..up to 4 of 'em, likely at least 2.
iProgramStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Jack it up just behind the 4 tires. Slow and steady, keep it level. Bottle jacks need a good solid base (wood cribbing). I used railroad ties and oak boards for the permanent cribbing.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
Your cribbing points depend on the size of your bus and configuration. Like leadsled said getting close to the wheels is going to be your best bet. Do not support it where the suspension will be holding any of the bus weight. School buses present some issues with the steps, battery boxes and sometimes belly storage.

On my job we use 2x4. 4x4 and 6x6 lumber cut between 2 and 4 feet long depending what is being cribbed. For most full size buses, I would be comfortable with 6x6's stacked two per level like a hashtag, but keeping the intersecting layers close to the ends of the boards. If possible building a single crib stack at each end that gets both frame rails would be preferable.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote