Old 03-29-2015, 11:36 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider View Post
I've got just one question, will you come finish my cap for me, flare it in nice & make it even
Ha, no. But seriously, it's really easy and the tools/equipment are cheap. I think metal-working takes way more skill.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
So how much would a urin diverter cost? I see a guy over in England that is selling them and puts them on ebay for $50+ US$. His are plastic but I was thinking of playing with fiberglass and trying to make one or two for our bus.

HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
O.k. Maybe I didn't need to post this but how do you empty this thing? Cut a hatch/access panel maybe and use a smaller barrel and this might be an idea to consider. Sorry about the hijack.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
Site Team

mount a wall mount urinal that would be cool
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S View Post
The ground where my bus get parked is REALLY soft clay.
The few times I have driven the bus in and out has already created big ruts and deep holes where the tires sit.

Next week ill be going to get a bunch of used railroad ties to make a platform to park on. I was thinking of laying 3 side by side and then bolting them together using 1/2 inch all thread. Then chainsawing off the end to create like a ramp to drive the bus up onto them.
Haha.. that's awesome. I had the exact same idea for our property! The place we'll be parking it also has clay under the top soil. I've actually been having a difficult time getting a hold of railroad ties, though. I'm also a bit concerned about the smell when the sun is hitting them.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I like the railroad tie platform other than the smell of creosote in the sun. It also pollutes the surrounding soil.
Oh, yep.. I see Nat already covered the smell issue

As for contamination; I would expect it would be minimal since the railroad ties are a decade old, but they still stink so maybe they're also still leaching creosote.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Oh, yep.. I see Nat already covered the smell issue

As for contamination; I would expect it would be minimal since the railroad ties are a decade old, but they still stink so maybe they're also still leaching creosote.
Hmmmm.... I forgot about that. I think that I'll still use them, smells not an issue. There's far too many mosquitoes to ever open the windows. As for leeching, some plastic will stop that will it not?
Maybe I'll try free hand milling with my gutless 42cc chain saw and make my own timbers. It's not like they have to be square, strate, or level! It's not like my stuff ever meets thoes requirments anyway! ;)
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #18
Bus Nut

If you hate the smell you can paint them with an oil-based paint. It won't stick all that well but it'll cut the smell down a LOT. I did that with a few lengths I was using to patch a retaining wall - I primed them with Kilz Primer and then brown paint. It only lasted a 3 years but it was cheap and easy. I did it for looks, but it definitely eliminated the smell.

It's super hard to mill with a 42cc chain saw - for anything above a few inches in width you really need 50+ and a skip-chain. But since you don't need a huge width you can try noodling - hold the chainsaw so it's at around a 45-50-degree angle to the wood, so it's ripping out long "noodles". Watch for clogs and it'll be slow going, but it'll manage a LOT better than straight cross-cutting.

If you're up for drilling the bar you can make a ghetto adjustable milling guide out of some carriage bolts. Their round heads ride easily on a 2x4 you nail to the side of the log.

Can you guys tell how much I hang out on arboristsite?
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #19

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Rated Cap: 72
Likely this has already been solved but, dig a shallow trench where you want your ties. Put down some garden fabric from any hardware store in the garden section. Put gravel on top that leveled slightly higher than ground level and then lay your ties on the gravel. Lessons the leaching because of little contact with water and provides run off.
MotorMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care for parked tires, homesteading longevity, long term parking, seal floor holes