Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

metal floor plesae help

ok everyone, so have a majority of old rotten wood off floor. which has left some big spots of rust that i can see that ground thru. was orgnalliy going to put whole new steel down on top of existing but then i just got a price quote on 1/8 steel sheets and will be 900 in jsut steel. whats my best option??? cut till no more rust then weld in patchs????? am putting foam over top as subfloor but wasnt going to use any wood any ideas????

please help

FERGBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
You sure you'll need 1/8" thick sheets? Seems awful thick to me. Maybe 16 gauge would be closer?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

dont know to be honest was going have my buddys come look at it tonight we may just patch the areas and put 1/4 plywood with waterlock on bakside down
Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I'm in about the same stage you are. Some rust and holes in floor. But the floor is only about 1/16" thick, not 1/8". Sounds like huge overkill what you were thinking of. I'm welding patches in places and have started removing one panel to replace. It is a pain in the ass, kind of thinking I should have just slapped on some construction adhesive and patches and been done with it.
misterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #5

so instead of welding the patchs in i could use construction adhesive on the patches adn then cut out the rust??
Old 08-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
There are many ways to attach a patch? Weld,rivet,screw,adhesive. As long as it supports the weight you are intending for that area you should be fine. Every inch of my bus from the factory is 15-guage sheet metal and you dont start getting into the sheet steel until 8-guage and that's when they start talking sheet steel 1/16th and up. Sheet metal is cheaper than sheet steel.
You want to cut out the area back into good metal(if that is your choice) then take a piece of your cut with you to size up with what you want are looking to buy.
For foot size holes you could clean with OSPHO seal and put a patch over it with some overlap of course.
I do use adhesive but that is followed by screws or rivets cause I am always worried about the adhesive coming loose later on? But as pointed out in another thread awhile back. We are in the age of adhesives and they make some real good stuff.
My wife hollers cause I build stuff bulletproof and then gets to watch and laugh when I have to take something apart? If I build it it's usually wasted if I have to take it apart.
Nothing on the bus and I hope never cause I have gone above and beyond for fastening and securing.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Maybe you can use the holes to your advantage - will they be in locations where plumbing or other utilities need to pass through?

I would grind and cut to a clean edge, then weld in patches myself. (don't overlap, do a butt weld with the new patch)

It's likely that the bottom side of the steel is galvanized so you'd want to add some corrosion protection underside when you're done filling holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERGBUS View Post
ok everyone, so have a majority of old rotten wood off floor. which has left some big spots of rust that i can see that ground thru. was orgnalliy going to put whole new steel down on top of existing but then i just got a price quote on 1/8 steel sheets and will be 900 in jsut steel. whats my best option??? cut till no more rust then weld in patchs????? am putting foam over top as subfloor but wasnt going to use any wood any ideas????

please help
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
I had nearly the same problem.
I cut out the rust sections and replaced sections.
The things I learned:
Cut straight lines, measure measure, mark or tape, whatever.
Cut straight lines.
Replace with new 10 gauge sheet steel
It should match the sections removed.
I bought a 4 foot by 10 foot 10g sheet of steel for about $110.

When you start removing the flooring, you will find support beams near the drivers area welded to the floor. If you work on the rest of the floor there are cross beams supporting the floor that are welded.
I had to replace the drivers section, very rear section of flooring and an entire wheel well this weekend.

You can do it.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote