Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Mistakes and do-overs

I did look around so I apologize if I missed it but Im wondering if there is a thread of mistakes people made, general advice for noobs and things people would do-over or do differently if they could when converting their skoolies.

meldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
LOL, that's pretty much every thread here. welcome aboard!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If you read enough build threads here you will pick up all sorts of good information.

There are plenty of "Next time I am going to do "x" different" comments scattered about. There are also plenty of good & successful ideas.

My biggest gripes on my last conversion (Eagle 10 not Skoolie):

Floor: I covered the access panels for the shifter, clutch and throttle linkage. I was told by a very sharp bus converter that it would be ok as we had converted to auto trans and would never need to access.

After a few years it got to where I had to brace myself in the drivers seat to get enough leverage to press the throttle to the floor. I finally abandoned the mechanical linkage and in$talled an air throttle.

Windows: I put in lots of windows. I wanted open and airy. Worked great in mild weather. As soon as I hit hot weather I wound up making insulation inserts for half of the windows. When I hit cold weather I made insulation inserts for the other half. Too many windows.

Also, I installed single pane windows. Never again. Double pane all the way.

Toilet & black water: I installed a porcelain RV toilet and an 86 gallon black tank. Every other RV I have ever owned had a 15-30 gallon black tank. Having plenty of capacity gave us great flexibility and the ability to dry camp for extended periods.

We did that right but next time it will be a composting toilet. No more black tank.

Drivers A/C: I removed the over the road A/C. It did not work. I thought that if I needed A/C while driving I could run the generator and the roof air. That worked great for the passengers but the poor guy up in the fishbowl with the sun blasting him didn't get much benefit.

Next bus will have some kind of drivers A/C. Either engine driven or ducted from a roof air that puts plenty of cool air directly on the driver.

Selling: I sold my bus a few years ago. Probably my biggest mistake in the whole process....

You have found a GREAT resource for conversion information here. There are plenty of folks here who have walked the walk and can show you the end result.

Read, read, read and then read some more
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Make sure your bus is level when you do all your interior work. I had a buddy with more carpentry skills than me do the rough interior work. He tried to do it from a string hanging in the middle of the bus. Didn't work. If I were to do it again, I'd go with metal framing.
Tip 2: Use carpet to cover you sins.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thoughts on raising the roof?
Wood stoves vs furnace?
Full stove/oven as opposed to something like a coleman camping stove?
Showers?

Im tentatively planning to do my gray water tank under the bus, fresh water under the bed but Im concerned about freezing water lines and tanks etc etc

Thoughts on tearing out and redo'ing the ceiling insulation as well as all the rest of the interior?

Ive read a good number of the build threads and will continue to do so. Ive got about 4-6 months before I even purchase my bus (Im getting out of debt first) and begin my conversion but Im a homework Nazi so will cram as much knowledge as I can before I make the leap.

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Also wondering if weight should factor into the layout planning at all? IE tanks, furniture etc.

Is that even an issue or am I overthinking it?
Old 08-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I raised the roof on my last one eight inches. Gave me around 80" headroom when finished. I loved the way it made the bus feel so much more roomy. It was a LOT of work and did cost a few $.

As I am only 5'8" tall, I am trying to decide if I will raise the roof on my next one. How tall you and potential guests are is an important consideration.

Weight is definitely a consideration. If you blindly add "stuff" you could wind up with something that is a pig to drive and could exceed max legal weight for your circumstance.

The lighter the finished bus is the better it will perform on the road.

You are not overthinking it. I have a materials spreadsheet that includes:

Item, vendor, quantity, cost, special notes and WEIGHT.

That way I could keep a running estimate of the finished weight.

You are asking some good questions.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
If I were to go back and do everything again, I would really read a lot more builds before buying my bus. I also would spend a lot of time looking for the perfect bus with underbelly storage, higher roof, DT466, skoolie approved transmission. OR I would do a really cheap shoddy build just to have a box to live out of.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Whatever you do, no matter how exciting the deal is, never and i mean NEVER buy a bus from a guy in an alley saying...

"Pssst!..... Pssst!.... yea you, wanna buy a bus?!"

Other that that mistake *shivers* everything else has a way of working itself out.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
If I were to go back and do everything again, I would really read a lot more builds before buying my bus. I also would spend a lot of time looking for the perfect bus with underbelly storage, higher roof, DT466, skoolie approved transmission. OR I would do a really cheap shoddy build just to have a box to live out of.
Skoolie approved transmission? Tell me more of this witchcraft that you speak of
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Skoolie approved transmission? Tell me more of this witchcraft that you speak of
When I was bus shopping I found School Bus Fleet to be a valuable resource.
Best drivetrain - School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Old 08-14-2016, 08:25 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Ive certainly learned so far to be much pickier about the bus I buy than I'd originally planned

Questions about the windows and chair rail.
A lot of the builds seem to leave the chair rail in citing stability concerns. Is this an actual issue? (mostly Im aware that cutting and building around that sticky out piece is going to be more complicated than ripping it out.

And windows....I don't want most of the windows regardless of the actual size of the bus. Just think it's going to cause insulation issues and a good number of them are going to be covered with internal walls/storage etc anyway. Do people just cover them? Or take them out?
Im in favour of the take them out and replace them with proper RV windows in the spots I want windows but that seems to involve raising the height of the window as well, so you don't have to duck to see out them, which just enters into a level of complication Im not sure I want to be in.
How complicated it is really and does it end up causing more problems than just waterproofing the frames of existing windows and maybe plastic'ing them in the winter....and summer....and screening for bugs.

Headliner: thoughts on pulling out an reinsulating this? I cant seem to find out how thick the actual insulation is in there (and don't have a bus yet to check...Im still in homework phase) I will be doing spray insulation as I think that's best and I have a friend who does it and will give me a great deal but I don't know if all the extra work on the headliner is even worth it?

While we're on the insulation question has anyone used insulating paint? Thoughts? (I only found one build here that did and that lady swore by it)
Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Thank you! Sent the link to my better mechanical half.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
Bus Geek

How about:

RectorSeal Fortress LD92W 96 in. L Cover for Ductless Mini Split-LD92W - The Home Depot

or:

https://www.amazon.com/Decorative-Co.../dp/B00CWNQL4C
Old 08-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldy View Post

Headliner: thoughts on pulling out an reinsulating this? I cant seem to find out how thick the actual insulation is in there (and don't have a bus yet to check...Im still in homework phase) I will be doing spray insulation as I think that's best and I have a friend who does it and will give me a great deal but I don't know if all the extra work on the headliner is even worth it?
I measured distance between roof layers today... 1.5 inches

I'd be wary calling it insulation from factory... It looks more like spiders holding hands! Very thin stuff
Old 08-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It's too bad that site is mostly dead...5 years ago there used to be a ton of school bus enthusiast sites but that seems to be the only one left
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
It's too bad that site is mostly dead...5 years ago there used to be a ton of school bus enthusiast sites but that seems to be the only one left
Yeah but all the pertinent info is still on there and searchable.
I read through all those threads on there before even looking at buses. Much better info about the different models and how they hold up than on here.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Do overs:

My first 5 floorplans.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Basically I made the plan then forced the bus to fit the plan. That seems to be the way I do most things as far as projects go.

Would I change anything? Nope--she is what she is and no change would make me happier with her. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Basically I made the plan then forced the bus to fit the plan. That seems to be the way I do most things as far as projects go. Jack
And you do it so well.