Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
MOre small stuff - Aluminum curtain rods

I hate curtain rods. Cant say it much plainer.
These kind anyway -

They have only one real feature, length adjustability and you only get to use it once - once you put that thing up you'll never need that feature again.

After bending and breaking my quota of 'normal' curtain rods I finally stared using aluminum angle bar -

Half or three quarter bar is a lot stronger than a normal curtain rod, easily mounts with angle brackets in places and ways, with less installation clearance than a 'normal' rod. Costs a little more, I just checked today when I was in ACE - normal adjustable curtain rod was 7.99 and adjusted 4' to 6' width. 3/4" x 1/8" alum. angle bar was about a buck fifty a foot. Not much difference.
I just use normal angle brackets - change the offset from the wall with different size brackets - they can be mounted on a wall that's parallel with the curtain -

or at right angles to the curtain -

That'd be a pretty tough spot to put in a normal bracket and once you got it in there's no clearance to attach the rod. That's the right hand bracket on the second picture above.
To attach the rod you only need either the width or the height of the rod on one end to mount it, one end can be zero clearance.

Angle bracket for the center support, too -

That's a flat L plate - didn't have and angle bracket big enough.
Also if you're prone to lose stuff, like ONE of the brackets (like me ) you don't have to make a hardware store run for another pair (that you only need one of).
A quick run over with steel wool, a coat of Johnson's paste was makes 'em 'pretty' and the occasional rag full of Lemon Pledge keeps then that way. Guess you could paint 'em if you like - never tried.

Tom

Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Re: MOre small stuff - Aluminum curtain rods

I like this a lot and think we may use this in our house as well as in the eventual bus! Thanks!

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Skoolie

Re: MOre small stuff - Aluminum curtain rods

Brilliant ideas....keep 'em coming!