Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

My bus build or this is not a how to, it's a how I did it

I'm working on converting a 1999 Bluebird. It has a wheelchair lift so I'm making it accessible. My wife was in a wheelchair so that was the idea. Now that she's passed I'm still making it accessible because you never know.

To see what my plan is and the progress so far I'm putting it all up on YouTube.
Here's the link to my videos
I welcome comments and suggestions. I may use some and not others but all are welcome

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-t...qhysNVWz8G9E2Q

steveoutdoorrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Skoolie

My 7 year old daughter climbed in my lap and watched every single video with me. About an hour in, she turned to me and asked, "Mommy, can you pause it? I need to get a drink of water." I told her that she didn't have to stay and watch all of the videos with me, and she gave me such a look- "But Mommy, I was watching it too! I want to see how he makes the bus into a house! Please don't watch without me!" Obviously, I paused the video.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's great to see all the work that goes into building a skoolie, and I look forward to seeing how this one turns out. We especially love your chameleon paint job!
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
An hour? My download allowance is gone in a half hour.

It's great to see kids be interested in an alternative lifestyle.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Skoolie

The little one and I look at a lot of pictures together and talk about how we want to decorate our cute little "bus house" and what sort of places we'd like to visit once we have it. She got on board pretty fast.

The older one (17) is taking a bit more convincing. She wants her own bus, and to take her best friend on the road with us since it would mess up their plans to go to college together after high school. Two buses? Eep! That said, she already knows how she wants to decorate it...

Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Bus Geek

A few years back they had some trolley car buses that would have made a good tardis.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
My 7 year old daughter climbed in my lap and watched every single video with me. About an hour in, she turned to me and asked, "Mommy, can you pause it? I need to get a drink of water." I told her that she didn't have to stay and watch all of the videos with me, and she gave me such a look- "But Mommy, I was watching it too! I want to see how he makes the bus into a house! Please don't watch without me!" Obviously, I paused the video.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's great to see all the work that goes into building a skoolie, and I look forward to seeing how this one turns out. We especially love your chameleon paint job!

I'm glad you and your daughter are enjoying the videos. I'll be putting more up as I go. The time lag between has been weather related. Too cold to work outside. But now that it's getting warmer more will be done as I can afford to get materials
Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I can see a Tardis bus. After all the goal is to be bigger on the inside then the outside
Old 04-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
That would be a "Dr. Who" style bus.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
The little one and I look at a lot of pictures together and talk about how we want to decorate our cute little "bus house" and what sort of places we'd like to visit once we have it. She got on board pretty fast.

The older one (17) is taking a bit more convincing. She wants her own bus, and to take her best friend on the road with us since it would mess up their plans to go to college together after high school. Two buses? Eep! That said, she already knows how she wants to decorate it...

what a great Bus idea.. and yeah 2 busses!! my guess is she is a typical teen that wants space...

I wanted a Bus so bad as a teen and my parents wouldnt hear of it... in fact I got read the Riot act when I brought home a personal bus that my school bus driver owned.. my dad wasnt happy...REALLY not happy. LOL.. get your daughter her own bus!! heck you could even make the bathroom the Police Box

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

When my daughter was 17 she REEEAAALLLYYY wanted a Scooby Doo van. Found one for $2500, even. I told her flat out that she wasn't going to get anything in which it was physically possible to have sex. (What I actually meant by "sex" was "7 kids able to pass something between them without being seen" but I didn't go into details.)

She got a Corolla.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
When my daughter was 17 she REEEAAALLLYYY wanted a Scooby Doo van. Found one for $2500, even. I told her flat out that she wasn't going to get anything in which it was physically possible to have sex. (What I actually meant by "sex" was "7 kids able to pass something between them without being seen" but I didn't go into details.)

She got a Corolla.

lol probably a good thing I dont have kids.. because I would be all about the "fun dad" and not so much the reality-check parent that I would need to be..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
OH HELL NO!
My kids ain't gonna get nothing more than a tricycle until they can pay their own bills!
Van? for a teenager?!? Don't even ask, i'll break your knee caps...
On the other hand, i could just hide cameras everywhere...
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Skoolie

My husband bought her a Nissan Versa when she was 15 so she could learn how to drive a stick - his reasoning was, someday in the future, she might run into a situation where she had a boyfriend who might take her to a party, get drunk, and then try to get behind the wheel because he has a sports car and it's a stick and girls don't know how to drive stick (or something like that). That's a lot of hypotheticals. I believe she is smart enough not to date some jerk who would act like that in the first place. In the second place, she could just call us. Or a cab. LOL!

He got his way though, and spent many hours riding shotgun to make sure that she is a safe and confident driver who can handle whatever transmission she needs to. Technically, we own the car, but she pays for gas and uses it to go to band practice, Starbucks, volunteering at the middle school, etc. so we call it her car.

She's a pretty responsible kid. She's earned our trust, so we allow her a bit more freedom than most of her friends have. Ironically, this makes us the parents that they feel like they can talk to, so we know more about what the kids are up to than the more overbearing parents. We are freely given access to their secondary, "secret" social media accounts, we know about the boyfriends, the friend drama, etc.

Anyhow, I seriously did not mean to hijack this thread! How is the bus coming? Looks like it's fairly cool and dry in New York right now.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
On the other hand, i could just hide cameras everywhere...
Yeah, but then you just have to spend all that time monitoring the cameras... I find it much easier to just lock them in the basement... So glad my daughter is finally in college...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Yeah, but then you just have to spend all that time monitoring the cameras... I find it much easier to just lock them in the basement... So glad my daughter is finally in college...
Ah....see, we don't have a basement...[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
OP gonna get mad at us for hijacking threat again

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoutdoorrec View Post
I'm working on converting a 1999 Bluebird. It has a wheelchair lift so I'm making it accessible. My wife was in a wheelchair so that was the idea. Now that she's passed I'm still making it accessible because you never know.
My S.O. is in failing health and I'm afraid the Skunky Bus may have an analogous future.

I of course can't know how you feel or how your Mrs. would have felt, but I can't help but think of your project as a special way of honouring her.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Where are you at on your conversion now? Have you ran your wiring and plumbing yet?
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
wasn't going to get anything in which it was physically possible to have sex.
When I was 17 I could have sex in an MG.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Who needed a car?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Quote:

I have already started this bus... When it is finished and as we update I will put pics on my page. Painting outside in couple of years. But as for now body pillows in Dr. Who material. Bottom of 1 couch is his material. So fun!
karma8282 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird, steampunksteve