Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65
need help with windows!!!

I am looking for info on windows.
I have read somewhere, here or other places, that you should never use home type windows in a skoolie.

I can't remember where it was, but Smitty is thinking of doing it, and I can't find the articles/reasons that i am telling him it isn't advised. I know it had something to do with vibration and the way they are secured, but can't find the literature to back up my stand on the subject. Would hate to see him go ahead and install if they aren't going to work...

Little help?

in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: need help with windows!!!

In Virgina, it is illegal to have any type of window glass in a vehicle that isn't safety glass of some type.

I previously referenced the specific code reference in Smitty's thread here about the windows he is choosing.

In the event of a collision, non-safety glass will break into shards, which can go flying and easily kill or maim someone. That right there is enough reason for me not to do it.

Also, should there be a collision, and an investigation shows improper glass was used, that opens you up to liability issues, regardless of whether the glass caused any injuries. I believe Smitty will agree with me that insurance companies will use any excuse they can not to honor a claim, and any improper equipment could easily be such an excuse.

However, each person can make this decision for themselves. I just hope not to be too close to a vehicle with improper glass in the event of a a collision.

Oh, just to be clear, home type windows are just fine as long as the GLASS is a type of safety glass. The key issue of course being the glass.

just my two cents worth,
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins

I wouldnt chance having anything but tempered glass. RV windows arent very much money. I bet you can pick them up for less than residential windows and they dont have the super thick frame either. Ebay has them all the time for cheap. I tried to think of anything that would go flying if I were to get in a crash and screwed it down well. I bought a wrecked car (RX7) for parts a few years back that had an amp fly from the back of the car and through the windshield and always think about that. That would make a mess of your head in a crash. My bus may break down from me being lazy and cheap but no way would I have someone get hurt or killed from that.
Tint will help keep the glass together somewhat but is no replacement for laminated or tempered. Mirrors in commercial restrooms and closet doors have a thick vinyl film on the back to hold them together if they break. Glass can be very dangerous, dont take chances with it.
Youre right about the insurance companies. I want to put my painters name by the door since he helped so much with my build but wonder if something happens if they would then say it is being used commerically and deny coverage, they are funny like that.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins

You can get replacement IG panels for either one at any glass shop in regular or tempered glass if needed. Typically they just measure it up and their glass supplier i.e. Oldcastle makes them so the banding thickness wouldnt matter as they would stock about every type imaginable. If you went the residential window route, you should be able to order it in tempered, the price difference would be little between the two.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

How do you remove the windows? I've unscrewed everything from the inside except the metal panels on the top. It looks like they might hold in the window - not sure. Obviously I will see next time I go up and work on my skoolie but how did you guys remove your windows?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Lower the windows so you can get a good grip on the middle of the window at both outermost sides and try lightly shaking the window to loosen it from the sides. Too much force and you could possibly break the window. But Smitty is right, they seal them into place.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

I have had to use a heat gun to loosen up the sealant used around the windows. Mine were put in with butyl rubber adhesive. Few minutes with a 1500 watt heat gun and some good strong constant force and they slowly pulled away from the frame and came out. The butyl rubber adhesive is easiest to remove from the frame when cold, but easier to remove the windows when heated up.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

[quote="RUskoolietailgater"... I've unscrewed everything from the inside except the metal panels on the top. It looks like they might hold in the window...[/quote]

In our Bluebird, the long metal panels above the windows also had to be removed. Once we removed the top panels (and unscrewed the 2 screws with large washers on the upright posts between the windows, we could wrestle the windows out... with a lot of colurful language. The windows were embedded in butyl caulk. It was very sticky.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Bus Geek

[quote="Pied Typer"]Thats funny, because in my Bluebird, I actually have to take the windows out to get wiring chase panels off

Here is the "how to" from a Bluebird Owners Manual:

Perhaps they put the panels back in in the wrong order??? I do know that the panels had been removed before we bought it since there is evidence of "repair" work (such as it is). Our ceiling is a mess in a couple of places. I think they were trying to find a leak. I don't think they were successful. I fixed a leak near where the ceiling is messed up.

Where did you get a BlueBird owners manual???
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Mine has the windows over the access panels. To pull the panels, I need to remove the windows too. My bus came with the owners manual, chassis manual, and a few other neat things like a special hose to connect a standard propane tank to the bus in case you run it out of propane.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
Skoolie

I just wanted to add a piece of information to this thread. I used a crowbar to pry out my first window last night. I was careful not to damage the inside metal (even though it's getting covered with insulation). I just started working it on the sides and prying it back and forth, then eventually on the top the metal hung over the window a little bit but I just muscled it out. There is some gooey substance to hold it in place, but if that's a problem you could always use a propane torch or heat gun to melt it and make it easier.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by emberglow
... does anyone know how to get the black sealant off after 25 years?
I've used Lacquer thinner on our Class C's black goo (previous owners). Use stripper chemical gloves on your hands. Lacquer thinner is nasty stuff.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
Skoolie

Try a propane torch or a heat gun to heat it up and make it soft. Or use a crowbar and try to pry it out?