Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
New Skoolie - Electrical questions

Hey there guys. I just got my first bus and am starting the journey of conversion. I am not doing a complete conversion. No water, shower, toilet, etc. But am doing full electrical and roof air. I am stepping into this from a traditional rv. It was an older rv, and I worked on it a lot, so I know a bit about what I want to do....just not positive about how to do it on a bus. So here are my questions:

Will be running a shore power line for the entire bus, but want to run a couple extra batteries for an inverter when we are not plugged in. How do I wire these batteries so that they are not used to start the bus, but are receiving power off the alternator, all while not draining the bus batteries when I am running the inverter? What do I need to buy to make this happen. It was pre rigged in my rv, all I had to do was add the deep cycle batteries for it.

Now this is a real simple question with what I am sure is a large answer....I had a box in my rv that had breakers in it for running all the ac power. It had breakers for the roof air, and all the power outlets in the rv. What is this box called and how much are they?

Finally, would an inverter put out enough power to trip a transfer switch? I have a 2000 watt inverter. I plan on running the roof air and fridge to the box separately, and have the inverter set up to just power the outlets in the rv so we can run the tv or computer.

Basically I am walking into this blind and am looking for a simple explanation for putting this thing together so I can figure what I need and how to do it before I get into it. Thanks guys....this site has already shown me so much, and I appreciate it so much. Tomorrow I start removing seats. Pray for me. Haha.