Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2016, 03:08 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
You basically have the idea. there is no OPD valve on tanks bigger than 7 gallons. That is 20 lb BBQ thing. Unless your in Canada then the weigh the tank to full so they don't need the valve.
You would not take the tank out to refill you would run a remote filler hose. the tank is permanent mount.
I say use the 100lbs because there just so dam cheap new and its so easy to modify with not being used or filled yet. I have drilled welded different valve positions in and welded tanks together and added headers to them. There only 150 PSI. Those hundreds are really nice if you use propane at home. its usually a buck a gallon extra to have the truck come fill it. I just toss a couple in the truck and have them filled and come home and use a hose i made to connect it to my 250 tank. stand the tank upside down and it transfers into the 250 in just a few minutes with the vent on the 250 tank open to allow the fluid to move. Then I use the same hose to fill my car tanks. You don't need pumps to move propane around. Plus with 40 gallons on board you can run it on your bus engine when you need some extra power. just need a ball valve with a 1/4 fitting and a EGT to set the temp or mixture? its really the temp.
The stuff is so amazing i think i'll put a flame thrower kit on the tail pipe.

Maybe dump it through a tail gunner

Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:02 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
So, by the explanation you gave for refilling your 250, I could cart around 5 of the 20 lb cylinders and use those to refill the 100.... would just need the adapter hose to connect from the 20 to the fill valve on the 100.... or else either drive to a distributor or have it delivered to me. The dilemma with those last two though, is will they fill a tank that's designed to be vertical but is actually horizontal?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Yes

They fill so much quicker than say when your doing a small colman style can with an adapter because you have the vent to open. I think there is rule out there that your not suppose to drill holes in the those colman bottles. I'm not sure I cant read or write let alone follow directions. But I have one i soldered a radiator drain plug to the top for a vent and another i just drilled a hole and shoved a tire rubber filler valve in. I can fill a a mini bottle now in about 10 seconds or less. Very convenient.

I taking a 100 lb tank and removing the valve and plugging that hole and welding in a new bung at where you want the top to be and re installing the valve is very wrong and should only be done by some one qualified buy a agency of some type. Also if you install a small 1/4 nipple right next to teh valve bung you can run the vent hose and the filler hose to the outside of your bus and leave it in a storage box or mount it in a door of its own. With these house connected to the tank with propane lines and the valve relocated and vent on a ball valve you can save a few hundred dollars over buying the same kit. At the same time your swapping in the new tank valve bung if you want you can add another to the bottom of the tank for liquid if you have a need?ts easier than adding a dip tube and you van use a valve from a tank that they wont re certified any more because the tank is not a new style valve (20lb). (like refilling those Colman tanks on the road so you don't have to have the BBQ or lanterns on hoses to 20lb tanks. Those little bottles are so nice and when they have vent there so easy to fill. You can see on some torch propane mini bottle they installed a pressure pop of vent in the top. I think they just jack the fluid in tell it vents vapor and its full. Never been to the factory?
Besides bears this is the only thing i can think of that can kill you in the woods if your not sure how to do it properly or qualified.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
So, by the explanation you gave for refilling your 250, I could cart around 5 of the 20 lb cylinders and use those to refill the 100.... would just need the adapter hose to connect from the 20 to the fill valve on the 100.... or else either drive to a distributor or have it delivered to me. The dilemma with those last two though, is will they fill a tank that's designed to be vertical but is actually horizontal?

Filling a tank for liquid or vapor is never the issue as long as it has the air vent at the top when your doing it. You always need the tank your transferring from to be in a liquid position. It doenst require any vent to be open. So you would flip your 20 lb tank upside down connect your hose from the 20lb to the 100 lb. open up your 20lb and then open up your 100 lb bleeder. This is exactly the same as if you were at the gas station getting the tank filled. The valve is in the tank just far enough that it leaves air gap so when it starts to spit liquid from the bleeder close the bleeder and the 20 lb tank. the new 20lb valves have float in them that leaves 20% air gap now. And it wont let you feel it completely up. Filling it all the way is not to your advantage you want the a smidgen of air or vapor in there. Its the expansion part of teh system or the 150 psi. the cool part is when you start using the fluid it boils at -41f so it starts and keeps building pressure to push the vapor or gas out tell the bottle is empty. As long as its not in the sub 0 temps propane is amazing. I'm not sure wher it stops working in cold i have never been in that klind of weather trying to BBQ but i do have customer in Nome Alaska that has a 1000 gallon tank farm on his home and every thing and the car i built him run on propane and he says its better than unleaded or diesel the fuel is always vapor and no matter how cold it is it just starts on the first crank. He fills his own fuel tanks from his tank farm.

Tags
electrical, newbie