Old 04-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Not to be difficult, but do they still use those international licenses? They're supposed to be useful in all (probably NATO) countries.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Heres a list of all countries that accept the IDL
I believe if you are driving a bus you'll need class D or DE if you have a trailer.

Albania
Guatemala
Peru
Algeria
Guyana
Philippines
Argentina
Haiti
Poland
Australia
Honduras
Portugal
Austria
Hong Kong
Romania
Bahamas
Hungary
Russian Federation
Bangladesh
Iceland
Rwanda
Barbados
India
St. Lucia
Belgium
Ireland
St. Vincent and Gren.
Belize
Israel
Samoa
Benin
Italy
San Marino
Botswana
Ivory coast
Senegal

Brazil
Jamaica

Seychelles
Bulgaria
Japan

Sierra Leone
Cambodia

Jordan
Singapore
Canada
Korea
Slovak Rep.
Central African Rep.
Kyrgyzstan
Republic
South Africa
Chile
Laos
Spain
Colombia
Lebanon
Sri Lanka
Congo, Rep. of
Lesotho
Surinam
Congo, Dem. Rep.
Luxembourg
Swaziland
Costa Rica
Macao
Sweden
Ivory Coast
Madagascar
Switzerland
Cuba
Malawi
Syria
Cyprus

Malaysia

Taiwan

Czech Republic
Mali
Tanzania
Denmark
Malta
Thailand
Dominican Republic
Mauritius
Togo
Ecuador
Mexico
Trinidad and Tobago
Egypt
Monaco
Tunisia
El Salvador
Morocco
Turkey
Fiji
Namibia
Uganda
Finland
Netherlands
United Kingdom
France
New Zealand
Gambia
Nicaragua
Uruguay
Germany
Niger
Vatican City
Georgia (Rep. of)
Norway
Venezuela
Ghana
Panama
Vietnam
Greece
Papua New Guinea
Zambia
Grenada
Paraguay
Zimbabwe

also former USSR republics that have accepted them
Armenia
Kazakstan
Tajikistan
Azerbaijan
Latvia
Turkmenistan
Belarus
Lithuania
Ukraine
Estonia
Moldova
Uzbekistan or Uzbekki bekki stan stan if you're nasty...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #33
Bus Geek

It was about a three hour test back in the day. The main point was simply recognizing other countries road signs. Road signs are becoming more standardized now, but Europe sill has some strange ones.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
The O.P asked about registration of a bus, not a license to drive.
And a temp. permit, 30 day or 14 day etc. is not a registration either.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
he may noit need a US registration permanently if he is just going to drive it to CR and lives there so I suggested a 30 day tag..

whys everyone so touchy uin this thread? Ligthen up peeps!
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #36

Hi all,

I am a European citizen living in Mexico and I am planing to bring a converted skoolie here. After the research, I still have some question. It will be great if you have the answers.

- I am considering taking a Mexican international federal licence, tipe C for cargo trucks of more than 3.500 kg. (any non mexican with this licence here?) Once I buy the bus in USA, would I be able to drive the still not converted skoolie? Is it still considered a public transport?

- Once it is parked somewhere in usa, I would remove the chair and put some furnitures. Do I need to paint it? Do I need to change the status of the bus to a RV?

- If I want to drive out from USA in less than a week, what paperwork do I need to do beside the Insurance? I just need to be covered for a few miles and a few days.

- The plan is to enter Mexico as a temporal import RV, but today I was told that in order to temporally import and drive a RV with plates from the USA you have to be a USA resident. ??? Is it really like this? If is was that way no european coudl drive a US shoolie in Mexico.

4- Once the bus is in Mexico, as a RV with a temporal import, and with the right driving licence. I guess that would be it.

I would appreciate anny comment if you had any experience.

Thanks!
Peras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
he may noit need a US registration permanently if he is just going to drive it to CR and lives there so I suggested a 30 day tag..

-Christopher
this thread "went south" fast
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
Unfortunately, you would likely get stuck at the Mexican border. A buddy of mine tried to take his new (to him) RV to Mexico with temporary tags and wound up, after spending a full day at the border, turning around and returning home.

You may find some useful information here: Registration for Non-Residents - AAA Digest of Motor Laws
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Possibly because nobody really thinks the subject matter went off key. An international license is certainly involved in this OPs venture. Christopher's temp tags were also on subject concerning passing through customs into Mexico while still exhibiting temporary tags in the OPs name. It seemed to all relate, sorta. Maybe it's one of those deals where you had to be there?

I think that sounds like one outrageous trip. At the same time everyone knows how valuable buses are in Mexico, which they have import taxes for. I'm not surprised if they won't let a bus through with temp tags, especially if it still had the seats in it.
The next question is would Mexico let a couple from a third country bring a bus into Mexico? I know nothing but hearsay about Mexico's customs but I'd guess they would say no again. Apparently there are special forms involved in bringing a bus like these into Mexico. Apparently you can cheat them once, then they won't let you enter any more.
So, sounds like a cool trip. I probably would be afraid to take my family through those countries when the children were young. I've read the stories of people getting ripped off down there, repeatedly, and worse. I'd like to try it, but not alone.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Possibly because nobody really thinks the subject matter went off key. An international license is certainly involved in this OPs venture. Christopher's temp tags were also on subject concerning passing through customs into Mexico while still exhibiting temporary tags in the OPs name. It seemed to all relate, sorta. Maybe it's one of those deals where you had to be there?

I think that sounds like one outrageous trip. At the same time everyone knows how valuable buses are in Mexico, which they have import taxes for. I'm not surprised if they won't let a bus through with temp tags, especially if it still had the seats in it.
The next question is would Mexico let a couple from a third country bring a bus into Mexico? I know nothing but hearsay about Mexico's customs but I'd guess they would say no again. Apparently there are special forms involved in bringing a bus like these into Mexico. Apparently you can cheat them once, then they won't let you enter any more.
So, sounds like a cool trip. I probably would be afraid to take my family through those countries when the children were young. I've read the stories of people getting ripped off down there, repeatedly, and worse. I'd like to try it, but not alone.
No advantage to "cheating" as far as Mexico goes. You must get a TIP (temporary import permit) when you enter the country. Then you turn it in when you leave the country. Where you get into trouble is if you get the TIP and don't turn it in when you cross the border leaving.

If you fail to turn it in they assume that the vehicle is still in the country and you have imported it illegally. You loose your deposit and may be denied future applications for TIP.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote