Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #61
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Be very careful if you go and go in a caravan of vehicles and don't be the last in line.

They rob shuttles buses in Guatemala.

Australian Backpackers Kidnapped in Guatemala Live To Tell Their Story | Q Costa Rica News

The couple were on a shuttle bus, organised through a hostel, with 10 other tourists – including two more Australians – when they were shot at and their vehicle was hijacked by a group of thugs.

“They commandeered our shuttle and jumped into the back and held a gun to my head. They had been shooting at the van like cowboys and once that hot gun was at my head, I thought that was it.”

The van eventually stopped deep in the bush, where the three men

yes and they rob banks in the USA
the take hostages in Banks in the usa, does this mean I cant go to the bank either without bullet proof vest and two bodyguards
Come on
where is the article about my friends they just went to Guatemala 4 weeks ago on their bikes had the best time, came back in one piece and
even visit a shaman to get some good healthy liquor, did not read about this adventure in any Costa Rica newspaper oh BTW: the guy in the Biker group and my friend is 75 years old, perhaps they dont like to rob old ppl I guess

meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Because those stories of a nice quiet trip don't fit the narrative of hate and fear of foreigners so they don't get shared because they don't advance somebodies agenda. Those people who were kidnapped were also an easy target traveling with a large group of people who were obviously tourists, probably on a bus with signage advertising that they were tourists... the busses the locals use are much less likely to encounter problems...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Because those stories of a nice quiet trip don't fit the narrative of hate and fear of foreigners so they don't get shared because they don't advance somebodies agenda. Those people who were kidnapped were also an easy target traveling with a large group of people who were obviously tourists, probably on a bus with signage advertising that they were tourists... the busses the locals use are much less likely to encounter problems...
Yup. When I'd visit the Philippines (Mindanao, specifically), I always took the local jeepney.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Absolutely travel with the locals when you're far from home. If you're not getting with the locals while in a foreign country, you're truly missing the point.

You can bet a tourist bus is easily a target in a poor country. I'd have more than harsh words for the person that set up that bus excursion.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Amen Brother!

I get sooo tired of hearing horror stories from people who have never been there.

Yes, things are different than here and there can be challenges. Be polite, respectful, CAUTIOUS and exercise common sense.

$20k to drive a bus to CR? Perhaps a bit on the high side. I guess it depends on your style of travel. Folks that i KNOW have done it on a fraction of that.

Question for the OP: Do you need co-drivers?
O lord.... if you want to drive the bus it is just a math thing, how many miles you got with a full tank? X miles, and food and border you won't spend 5 k in diesel. If you want to ship it the cost is max 1200usd and 135usd insurance . Yes I have done that with 32 buses ... cheaper sent it by boat .
SamPlayacoyote is offline   Reply With Quote