Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Almost There

non US citizen

Can I get a Skoolie registered in my name without being an American Citizen.
Just wondering
I like to get a Bus in the USA drive it down to Costa Rica and convert it..dont know yet if thats possible, registration and insurance would be needed

input very much appreciated

best
rainer

meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
Can I get a Skoolie registered in my name without being an American Citizen.
Just wondering
I like to get a Bus in the USA drive it down to Costa Rica and convert it..dont know yet if thats possible, registration and insurance would be needed

input very much appreciated

best
rainer
Yes you can. Very expensive and dangerous to drive down for Gringo's.You better be fluent in Spanish. I have heard that it has cost some about $20k to get there. Read the ARCR FORUMS for more info by those that have done it. I have heard that at some border crossing they shut it down just before you get there and you stay all night and cross the border into like Belize and then the road gets blocked and you get robbed. You can ship it for about $11 thousand.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
dangerous to drive down for Gringo's.
This is absolutely not true, as long as you don't act like an asshole and don't treat people like trash you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in the world. Xenophobic American Idiocy never ceases to amaze me... "DON'T GO THERE! THOSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT AND WILL KILL YOU BECAUSE THEY'RE DIFFERENT!!!!!! HURR DURP A DURP WHARGARBBL!!!" Give me a break...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Yes you can. Very expensive and dangerous to drive down for Gringo's.You better be fluent in Spanish. I have heard that it has cost some about $20k to get there. Read the ARCR FORUMS for more info by those that have done it. I have heard that at some border crossing they shut it down just before you get there and you stay all night and cross the border into like Belize and then the road gets blocked and you get robbed. You can ship it for about $11 thousand.

11k shipping? the bus will be cheaper.

I like to spend about 3-5 k, your concern is also the reason I like to acquire a skoolie, no fancy stuff. cheaper and much much saver, you see I already think ahead..
I crossed borders with my brand new Avalanche to Panama, Nicaragua etc. I know borders, I know most close at night and open about 6 in the morning or so.
Never show off, never show money dont dress like a rich guy..advice from me..I moved to Costa Rica with only speaking German and Dutch, no Spanish , no English, and I am still here, have experienced most of the good as well as the bad, when I tell ppl, they dont like to hear it, they think I am negative, so I keep it to me..and be rather not judged..

I dont say it can not happen to me, because it can happen to anybody , but I stand better chance because I have been in situations, in Columbia almost arrested on the beach, a girl set me up.. haha dont pick a girl from the streets..just kidding , but one has to be on guard all the time, these countries dont have much law and order...and foreigner are targets ...

Ok, I stray, but how is it possible to get registration and insurance for my project. I know there is a way, seen videos from a German couple which bought a bus from Germany in the USA online , went their to convert and headed to Canada and Alaska down to Mexico!
I try to get a hold of them, with no avail yet
Thanks for reading my rant
hope somebody can help
cheers
rainer
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's true. I've been all over the world in Europe and Asia for years at a time. There are good and bad people anywhere, so common sense still plays a major roll in how things turn out for you while traveling in any foreign country. Racism is alive and well in many countries. Don't be the ugly American. If there's trouble, claim to be Canadian.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hallo Dutchie,
mooi adventuur, heb ik zelf geen lef genoeg voor.
I would think for you to register and get the paperwork you would need an US driver license.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hallo Dutchie,
mooi adventuur, heb ik zelf geen lef genoeg voor.
I would think for you to register and get the paperwork you would need an US driver license.

Later J
haha ik ben niet nederlands, ben oostenrijks
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
This is absolutely not true, as long as you don't act like an asshole and don't treat people like trash you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in the world. Xenophobic American Idiocy never ceases to amaze me... "DON'T GO THERE! THOSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT AND WILL KILL YOU BECAUSE THEY'RE DIFFERENT!!!!!! HURR DURP A DURP WHARGARBBL!!!" Give me a break...

attitude gets one a long way, or nowhere !

have seen it all..lol
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's true. I've been all over the world in Europe and Asia for years at a time. There are good and bad people anywhere, so common sense still plays a major roll in how things turn out for you while traveling in any foreign country. Racism is alive and well in many countries. Don't be the ugly American. If there's trouble, claim to be Canadian.
@Robin I read your adventure with the Foam this scared me to dead..ok not really but it did make me think..
Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Bus Nut

My wife and i have an apartment in Heredia. We had to move because i could tell that we or me anyway was being targeted for robbery. I was warned not to walk anywhere and that turned out to be just 500 ft to a PulPeria on Calle Coderro.
Too each his own. Take lot's of access to money. Extra parts. Don't take a bus with a CAT Engine. Don't go by yourself. Be prepared at times to "HELP A LITTLE BIT"

Good luck.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
zelfs beter. veel plezier LOl
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
My wife and i have an apartment in Heredia. We had to move because i could tell that we or me anyway was being targeted for robbery. I was warned not to walk anywhere and that turned out to be just 500 ft to a PulPeria on Calle Coderro.
Too each his own. Take lot's of access to money. Extra parts. Don't take a bus with a CAT Engine. Don't go by yourself. Be prepared at times to "HELP A LITTLE BIT"

Good luck.
if you still life their, we are not far apart, I am near San Antonio Belen
but I see you moved..?
perhaps we can get together one day..
Old 04-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
zelfs beter. veel plezier LOl
haha de massl or zo

so can I get a bus registered in The USA
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
haha de massl or zo

so can I get a bus registered in The USA
No problem at all and you can own real estate.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Ik denk dat we allemaal moeten begin met het publiceren in verschillende talen op basis van onze voorouders. Ik heb problemen met iets te zeggen in de Ierse vinden.

Mensen in verschillende landen te schakelen vaak huizen op vakantie kosten te verlagen. Waarom niet bussen swich?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Ik denk dat we allemaal moeten begin met het publiceren in verschillende talen op basis van onze voorouders. Ik heb problemen met iets te zeggen in de Ierse vinden.

Mensen in verschillende landen te schakelen vaak huizen op vakantie kosten te verlagen. Waarom niet bussen swich?
Or a Skoolie Airbnb

Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
haha ik ben niet nederlands, ben oostenrijks
I found the Netherlands to be the most charming place I've ever been.
I fell in love with a food called "vla". Its delicious!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Amen Brother!

I get sooo tired of hearing horror stories from people who have never been there.

Yes, things are different than here and there can be challenges. Be polite, respectful, CAUTIOUS and exercise common sense.

$20k to drive a bus to CR? Perhaps a bit on the high side. I guess it depends on your style of travel. Folks that i KNOW have done it on a fraction of that.

Question for the OP: Do you need co-drivers?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #19
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I found the Netherlands to be the most charming place I've ever been.
I fell in love with a food called "vla". Its delicious!

hahaha that's fun, I never considered VLA as food but its lekker , but I guess everything eatable is considered as food, that said I never did consider a McDonalds as restaurant either..lol and easy on your stomach if one does not eat toooooooo much..

But I started this thread to find out about "registering a Bus as a none American Citizen" we got from getting kidnapped, to spending for a perhaps 1000 dollar Trip to 20K and 11K shipping, (which I dont think this is nearly accurate) either, but easy to find out which I will, to being an arrogant American , to Holland and now even VLA..lol

Still I dont have the answer about Registration
Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
hahaha that's fun, I never considered VLA as food but its lekker , but I guess everything eatable is considered as food, that said I never did consider a McDonalds as restaurant either..lol and easy on your stomach if one does not eat toooooooo much..

But I started this thread to find out about "registering a Bus as a none American Citizen" we got from getting kidnapped, to spending for a perhaps 1000 dollar Trip to 20K and 11K shipping, (which I dont think this is nearly accurate) either, but easy to find out which I will, to being an arrogant American , to Holland and now even VLA..lol

Still I dont have the answer about Registration
Sorry for the drifting of the thread. Maybe someone will come along with the answers you need.
Not many of us have ever had to deal with what you're trying to do, sorry.
Best I can suggest is start making a lot of inquiries. Maybe you can get it all worked out and post something to help others who may end up needing the same advice you're seeking.
Best of luck!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote