Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
non US citizen

Can I get a Skoolie registered in my name without being an American Citizen.
Just wondering
I like to get a Bus in the USA drive it down to Costa Rica and convert it..dont know yet if thats possible, registration and insurance would be needed

input very much appreciated

best
rainer
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by meabus View Post
Can I get a Skoolie registered in my name without being an American Citizen.
Just wondering
I like to get a Bus in the USA drive it down to Costa Rica and convert it..dont know yet if thats possible, registration and insurance would be needed

input very much appreciated

best
rainer
Yes you can. Very expensive and dangerous to drive down for Gringo's.You better be fluent in Spanish. I have heard that it has cost some about $20k to get there. Read the ARCR FORUMS for more info by those that have done it. I have heard that at some border crossing they shut it down just before you get there and you stay all night and cross the border into like Belize and then the road gets blocked and you get robbed. You can ship it for about $11 thousand.
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 495
Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
dangerous to drive down for Gringo's.
This is absolutely not true, as long as you don't act like an asshole and don't treat people like trash you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in the world. Xenophobic American Idiocy never ceases to amaze me... "DON'T GO THERE! THOSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT AND WILL KILL YOU BECAUSE THEY'RE DIFFERENT!!!!!! HURR DURP A DURP WHARGARBBL!!!" Give me a break...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #4
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yes you can. Very expensive and dangerous to drive down for Gringo's.You better be fluent in Spanish. I have heard that it has cost some about $20k to get there. Read the ARCR FORUMS for more info by those that have done it. I have heard that at some border crossing they shut it down just before you get there and you stay all night and cross the border into like Belize and then the road gets blocked and you get robbed. You can ship it for about $11 thousand.

11k shipping? the bus will be cheaper.

I like to spend about 3-5 k, your concern is also the reason I like to acquire a skoolie, no fancy stuff. cheaper and much much saver, you see I already think ahead..
I crossed borders with my brand new Avalanche to Panama, Nicaragua etc. I know borders, I know most close at night and open about 6 in the morning or so.
Never show off, never show money dont dress like a rich guy..advice from me..I moved to Costa Rica with only speaking German and Dutch, no Spanish , no English, and I am still here, have experienced most of the good as well as the bad, when I tell ppl, they dont like to hear it, they think I am negative, so I keep it to me..and be rather not judged..

I dont say it can not happen to me, because it can happen to anybody , but I stand better chance because I have been in situations, in Columbia almost arrested on the beach, a girl set me up.. haha dont pick a girl from the streets..just kidding , but one has to be on guard all the time, these countries dont have much law and order...and foreigner are targets ...

Ok, I stray, but how is it possible to get registration and insurance for my project. I know there is a way, seen videos from a German couple which bought a bus from Germany in the USA online , went their to convert and headed to Canada and Alaska down to Mexico!
I try to get a hold of them, with no avail yet
Thanks for reading my rant
hope somebody can help
cheers
rainer
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 4,410
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
That's true. I've been all over the world in Europe and Asia for years at a time. There are good and bad people anywhere, so common sense still plays a major roll in how things turn out for you while traveling in any foreign country. Racism is alive and well in many countries. Don't be the ugly American. If there's trouble, claim to be Canadian.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 397
Year: 1998
Coachwork: corbeil
Chassis: ford e350
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
Hallo Dutchie,
mooi adventuur, heb ik zelf geen lef genoeg voor.
I would think for you to register and get the paperwork you would need an US driver license.

Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hallo Dutchie,
mooi adventuur, heb ik zelf geen lef genoeg voor.
I would think for you to register and get the paperwork you would need an US driver license.

Later J
haha ik ben niet nederlands, ben oostenrijks
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
This is absolutely not true, as long as you don't act like an asshole and don't treat people like trash you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in the world. Xenophobic American Idiocy never ceases to amaze me... "DON'T GO THERE! THOSE PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT AND WILL KILL YOU BECAUSE THEY'RE DIFFERENT!!!!!! HURR DURP A DURP WHARGARBBL!!!" Give me a break...

attitude gets one a long way, or nowhere !

have seen it all..lol
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's true. I've been all over the world in Europe and Asia for years at a time. There are good and bad people anywhere, so common sense still plays a major roll in how things turn out for you while traveling in any foreign country. Racism is alive and well in many countries. Don't be the ugly American. If there's trouble, claim to be Canadian.
@Robin I read your adventure with the Foam this scared me to dead..ok not really but it did make me think..
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KANSAS CITY
Posts: 458
My wife and i have an apartment in Heredia. We had to move because i could tell that we or me anyway was being targeted for robbery. I was warned not to walk anywhere and that turned out to be just 500 ft to a PulPeria on Calle Coderro.
Too each his own. Take lot's of access to money. Extra parts. Don't take a bus with a CAT Engine. Don't go by yourself. Be prepared at times to "HELP A LITTLE BIT"

Good luck.
__________________
Former owner of a 1969 F600 Skoolie.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.