Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Old Floor Heater Help!

Can anyone give me tips on how to get rid of the old floor heater so I can get up my old floors? The wiring is making me a bit nervous, otherwise I'd just rip it out
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0158.jpg  

HotDonnaTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
That looks different than mine, but the wires should just unplug from somewhere near the unit. Are there coolant hose that need to be removed and looped back to the front? Once the hoses are disconnected and the wires unplugged, remove the bolts holding to the floor and toss the heater. The wires will trace back to the switch and can be removed or repurposed for another electric item.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Having just taken out my heater, I can confidentally say the wires are the easy bit. Cut them, and trace them back to your electrical box to remove.
The coolant lines are more difficult, if fitted.
ThisBusPlusUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
What did you use to loop it back into itself? Im considering just using a piece of the same line and hose clamps.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
What did you use to loop it back into itself? Im considering just using a piece of the same line and hose clamps.
There is a U shaped hose that goes OVER the hoses on mine where it was shortened held on with regular stainless steel hose clamps. I need to hook mine back up now! Guess I need to buy more coolant first and I am worried about bubbles. Seems like that can be an issue. I am not the original owner so I didn't do the hose removal. Have you seen any good YouTube videos on how to?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
There is a U shaped hose that goes OVER the hoses on mine where it was shortened held on with regular stainless steel hose clamps. I need to hook mine back up now! Guess I need to buy more coolant first and I am worried about bubbles. Seems like that can be an issue. I am not the original owner so I didn't do the hose removal. Have you seen any good YouTube videos on how to?
Bubbles? I figured it was like a car, start it with the cap off. Guess i need to do more research. I havent run across anything besides before and after pics.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Bubbles? I figured it was like a car, start it with the cap off. Guess i need to do more research. I havent run across anything besides before and after pics.
Ok, i talked to my nephew/diesel mechanic. He said bubbles can happen but..leave radiator cap off and start it..basically burp it. Lots of youtube videos about it..good luck!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
A mechanic friend helped with mine.

We followed the pipes from the heater inside the bus to a fitting underneath, right below the drivers seat. The pipes were connected to a narrower piece of pipe which came from the engine. It was connected with screw tightened clamp rings.

We disconnected the clamp rings and cut a clean piece of the existing pipe to loop it back round (shortening the run from 50ft inside the bus to 8 inches sitting beneath the bus). It was actually much easier than I had anticipated.

Lost about 8 gallons of fluid in the process, so have plenty of clean buckets ready. We collected the fluid, filtered it and put back in.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Be careful your loop doesn't kink if it's just the same hose. I made a small "U" from 1" PVC and reused the hose clamps off the heater as they are a high quality clamp.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Be careful your loop doesn't kink if it's just the same hose. I made a small "U" from 1" PVC and reused the hose clamps off the heater as they are a high quality clamp.
I did something similar but with galvanized steel pipe as PVC is not intended for use where temperatures can exceed 140F.

Coolant temps in my bus regularly exceed 180F.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I did something similar but with galvanized steel pipe as PVC is not intended for use where temperatures can exceed 140F.

Coolant temps in my bus regularly exceed 180F.
Good catch. The PVC in mine is temporary while building just so I can move it if need be. I won't recommend it as a permanent fix. I have ordered one of these from Jegs to replace it with.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Exhau...yABEgI5APD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Ubend.jpg  
Old 09-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I used steel pipe and made a "U". Worked like a charm..now 2 more heater pulls..only 1 is a permanent pull.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Engine: 6.0L 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 47
Mine were removable from the heater and I disconnected them . Then I cut the coolant hoses off near the driver seat . Went to the local auto supply store and bought some gates 90 deg 1 in fittings and created a quick little U to loop them into each other . Good luck . There most like will be a coolant mess .
arod79sae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demolition, floor help, flooring, old heater