Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Engine: 366
Onan generator output

So my onan generator has a 20 and 30 amp 110 volt output. Can I combine this to be one 50 amp breaker somehow?

Soundman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Onan generator output

No.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

you should post your generator specifications for help with it...
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Here are some pictures of the unit. Trying to get all 50 amps from this unit so we can run both ac nits. They draw 13 amps each. My assumption is that the generator head is putting out all 50 Amos and then it gets split to 2 breakers. Can I intercept it before the breakers and send to one 50 amp breaker? Output wiring is one ground two hots and two neutrals
Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

If it has 2 seperate breakers;Why can't you run 1 on the 20amp breaker and run 1 on the 30 amp breaker plus 10 amps of lights etc?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

because i want to run everything off of one 50 amp panel so that when i use shore power i dont have to do anything and it is a simple process. 50 amps from genny, 50 amps from shore both feed into transfer switch which feeds panel
Old 07-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

i dont have a 6.5 emerald genset, but if the output wires that go to the two circuit breakers are one set of wires, then you can run them to one 50 amp breaker. i assume that it is made this way, cause the other way would require two sets of windings in the generator - one for each of your circuit breakers.

this can be looked up online of course, my guess is that you can just have one 50 amp circuit breaker instead of the two other ones. you have enough amps to run your ac units... i have a 4000 watt onan, and it will run my two ac units, and one is a 13.5 and the other 8000.

i cant tell from your wiring picture, but if it were mine, i would look to see if one set of wires feeds both breakers...
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Here is a better picture

So the black wires are the breaker output. The white are input. There is a seperate wire to each breaker from "inside" the generator, but they are also jumpered together. So would I just bring both of these to my 50 amp breaker?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

are both the black wires hooked together like the white ones? if so, only 1 set of wires is running to the genset like mine is. i took the circuit breakers out of mine and just put one large one in line before the automatic switch over switch.

i also changed some other wiring in the panel, as some clearly isn't needed for operation or auto shut down.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

My two blacks are seperate. They appear to be the "output" of the breakers
Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

ok.. that would be correct.
my genset had the white wire and black wire, and i dont remember if it had 2 circuit breakers or not, but it doesn't now as i removed the connection and just put a new circuit breaker on the wall of the genset compartment outside of the generator itself.
and did the other mods as mentioned earlier.
now that i am looking at the pic again, i think the white square plug is the one that hooks to your remote start and run switch, hr meter etc. anyway thats what mine looks like.
the hot wire from the genset isnt going to know how many circuit breakers it is hooked up to...so in theory if both of your breakers are using full capacity, the white wire will run one 50 amp as well as a 20 n 30
Old 07-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundman1

I was curious to the H.A.R.C. CB2 so I looked, not relavant to what you are doing I was just curious
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................Pulled from elec inspector site:
HISTORY OF HACR RATINGS
For many years Underwriters Laboratories® (UL)® required special testing of circuit breakers used in group motor applications in air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. UL had Listed these circuit breakers as HACR Type and they were used to meet the requirements of Article 430-53(c)(3). At first, UL restricted the HACR listing to circuit breakers rated 240 Vac or less and 60 A maximum. In the early 1990s SQUARE D® Company and UL worked together to redefine the test parameters for UL Listed HACR Type circuit breakers. These test parameters resulted in HACR ratings for circuit breakers rated 600 Vac and less and 250 A maximum as a second step.

By these test parameters HACR Type circuit breakers were the same as other types of inverse-time circuit breakers except they were additionally investigated by UL and determined to be suitable for motor branch circuit protection on group installations. Initially, these circuit breakers were tested and Listed to UL 489, the standard for safety for molded-case circuit breakers. Then additional investigation was done including tests to determine that the circuit breaker provided appropriate protection for the circuit components of typical heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. These included compressor motors and fan motors connected in group motor applications.

HACR RATINGS TODAY
A great number of circuit breakers were investigated by UL using the special HACR testing. It was found that all circuit breakers that passed the normal UL 489 tests also passed the special HACR testing without a special design. As a result, UL 489 has been revised to recognize that all circuit breakers that satisfy the construction and test requirements for UL 489 Listing are also suitable for HACR applications.

Paragraph 7.7 of the 9th edition of UL 489 grants HACR listing to all UL 489 Listed circuit breakers. There is no longer a requirement for special testing. These circuit breakers are suitable for group motor applications requiring HACR designation.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................
so if you remove the breakers the hot white will be able to supply your 50 amps since like chev said that wire feeds 50 amps it's just divided up "different" than the way you are going to do it in your box...so 50 into box and then you branch out to your other breakers
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

So I had to get the Starter rebuilt and got it back.

Hooked up battery and ran a hose to a tank of gas held down start and it started right up and ran fine for about 5 minutes then just died, but like it was turned off, not a puttering out die

Now it will start and run fine as long as I hold the start button down, once I let go it turns off and stops

Any thoughts on where to check. Seams like an ignition wire problem
Old 07-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

if your start switch bypasses the low oil shutdown, that would cause it to not keep running for one thing.
it is possible a wire like that got unplugged.
also make sure the fuel pump is working. you should be able to hear that.
check oil level as well.. i think mine takes 4 quarts or nearly that at the "add" point on the dipstick.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #15

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: crown
Engine: 743 Cummins
Rated Cap: 75

I would suggest you go to 'the smokstak' web site and find the Onan generator forum... some gennys are wired for dual output- 110 / 220v and can also be wired for (in the case of a 6.5k) 2 legs of 3.2 k 110 and 1 leg of 6.5k 220 OR all 110 Or all 220v depends on which model you have,, they have been very helpful with my Onan's I got for my bus.... my 5k cck is all 110 only -- my 6.5knh is reconnectable ( all 110 Or all 220- Or split 110/ 220), so it's wired- 2- 110 legs and 1- 220 , and the 12k is only 110/ 220 , no reconnections for all 220 or all 110.....
moosiah is offline   Reply With Quote