Old 10-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #31
Year: 1982
Coachwork: Grumman Parcel Delivery
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: White-Hercules 3.7L r
Rated Cap: 10
Re: Painting a bus

Hello, Be careful what you apply as removing paint is a real time intensive effort. I have had great luck with am oil based equipment paint made by Miller. Made in the northwest, it used to come in just a few colors but now can be tinted to whatever you want. Its listed as an equipment paint but keeps its shine for several years and still looks good when it dulls out a bit. I repaint after 4-5 years to keep prep time to a minimum. Another paint to consider is marine boat paint, the "above water line" rated stuff. Its really nice to apply. I use a roller matched to my surface smoothness, keep a small brush handy for those pesky inside corners and try to keep a wet edge or use the seams or corners on the bodywork as stopping and starting points. One last tip, a foam roller, if used over the paint before drying ( when to paint is still sticky)will give the finish a "stipple" look. Kinda bumpy in a weird attractive way. It keeps you from worrying about brush marks and roller edge marks and looks 100% intentional. If you do this, paint the area you have selected as well as possible and then go back with a pretty dry foam roller to give the effect. The foam roller "tugs" at the pain die to its tackiness but the effect settles out and looks great IF you time it right. effectively you are adding a very light layer of fresh paint over the now drying initial coat. NOTE: Practice this technique first as some paints, especially fast drying paints, will WRINKLE is treated this way as the freshest paint dissolves the older paint. In any case, the real point here is that MILLER SPAR ENAMEL seems perfect for painting your bus. Good luck!
jottoh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #32
Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 250HP
Rated Cap: 66
Originally Posted by vonslatt View Post
I ended up using TrueValue XO Rust and a 3/8" nap roller (the foam roller didn't spread well at all.

School Bus Conversion - Painting

It covered in one coat and 18 months later looks just like it did when I first painted.

Jake, I have a crush on your bus! I'll be using your website tips for most of our conversion - I especially like that the paint job is possible without tons of special skills or equipment. Thanks so much for all the info!
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #33
Bus Nut
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Don't want to drive around in a big Twinkie, so I, obviously, must repaint Brunhilde. From the bottom to the bottom rub-rail, I'd like to use bedliner paint. Is this a DIY paint job or should I refer it to an experienced dealer?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #34
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The bedliner material takes careful prepping. A buddy here did his old Toyota pickup and it started coming off in sheets after a couple of years.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #35
I've hear of good, great, and bad experiences with bed liner. Some people have said that it holds like a rock and takes a beating like it was nothing and others are able to grab a chip of it and peel it right up. I think it depends on what company you use. I almost did my trucks bed by... i can't remember who at the moment but I can look when i get off work. But they seemed to have very high ratings and looked like it was durable.
You should also think about if you wanted the gritted texture (rubber bits) or the smooth finish on it.
As for a company that will do it for you. Line-X will spray on their brand for you and I have heard good things from their products. (though it could be quite costly to have them do the work for you)
Pshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #36
Bus Geek
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Bed liner is very tough stuff but unless the prep is right (like any other finish), it will peel.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #37
Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
i have painted travel trailers with a oil base sherwin williams paint ,I didn't intend on it lasting that long was more of a hurry up and paint it for a trip to yellowstone. turns out, 7 yrs later the paint still looks good so I didn't repaint it just added a strip so it wasn't so plane.
rvingoffgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #38
I used Rustoleum Stops-Rust Professional. Got it at Home Despot. I came up with a nice medium green metallic.

I mixed:
1 gallon + 1qt (5qts) Hunter Green
1qt Aluminum Silver
1/2 pint Gloss Black

Sprayed with HVLP gun with the following mix:
5 parts paint
2 parts Acetone
1/3 part Enamel Hardener. (Valspar from Amazon or Magic from Tractor Supply)

The top I just rolled with 1 coat (2 qts) of Rustoleum Almond using a 1/4" nap roller. Worked out pretty good, but should have thinned about 10% w/ Acetone.
Goatherder is offline   Reply With Quote