Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Permanent Short Bus Parking Help

I’ve been trying to find some resources on what would be the best way to create some sort of area to park my short bus in the woods on my property permanently. We are going to convert it into a cabin and I want to make sure before I park it on solid ground, if I need to put some sort of foundation down or gravel or anything like that. The area is up a hill so it won’t be an area that will experience super sogggy ground. Any help or insight on this area would be greatly appreciated!

Beardwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
I depends on the ground and how much work you want to do now vs. later. It rains a lot here. I made an area in front of my house. The space is flat and square. I made a diagonal line from the high side to the low side and dug out so along the line at a grade. Both sides of the line slope towards the center, and the line slopes down. I tested drainage several times while digging and adjusted as needed. When I was satisfied with drainage, I laid down vegetation barrier cloth, and back filled with gravel. The top of the gravel is level. I also put a french drain after the bottom of the trough. Water never pools and I have a nice patio area for grilling in the rain. You could do something similar, or at the very least, put down gravel near the entry. I live on a hill so drainage is good, but when it rains, the yard turn into a mud pit.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

thank you!

this is super helpful, thank you for the advice!!!!
Beardwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'd agree with BW. I've set a couple of house trailers following that plan bur I also installed two 1'X1'X1' concrete rails perpendicular to the trailer (bus) frame rails one near the rear axle and the other near the front axle. I used a cross of rebar in each. I welded a washer and nut on the top of the base of a light duty HF type jack stand and used a large course threaded bolt to screw out up to the frame. Solid as a rock and easily removed.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote