Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 04:03 AM   #1

Planning Ahead

I am in the early stages of looking for a short bus to convert into a skoolie. Being retired gives me a bit more time to enjoy a few things in the last quarter of life. The short bus would allow me to be more practical with my towing options, pulling a 28 foot glider trailer around the country is the goal.
Yes, I guess you could call me a glider hobo, so the theme of my skoolie will be aviation oriented. The plan is to travel a few months of the year, enjoy a few glider contest and come back to Florida for the nice winter months. A nice 23-25 passenger bus seems to be the target for now, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. A small kitchen, nice shower and head, and a great comfortable lounge area is desired along with a nice bed.
What would you consider for my skoolie conversion. Thanks, Bob

Pawneetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Hey Bob,

I’m converting a 5 window Thomas right now. It’s kind of coming together like you want yours. I’m in the early stages of the build and so far the challenge has been finding space for the holding tanks and water heater. I finally managed a 20 gallon black tank and a 28 gallon grey tank. Not quite as much capacity as I hoped.

Not to disparage the short bus, I think it’s a good choice for what I’m doing and it sounds like for what you’re doing. Just be aware the under body space limitations.

If you spend some time looking st short bus conversions you’ll see that the head and shower usually take a minimal approach at best. Spend some time examining this aspect, especially the head.

If you haven’t seen this one, here’s a video of shorties I like. Lots of good ideas in there. But take note of the minimalistic plumbing.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Gliders are cool. Spent some time around them in the late 70's. Been up in a few, never landed in one though. We used one as a jump plane, pull the canopy off, get to altitude, roll it over and I would exit the plane to land under chute. We set a world record back then. Drop zone was in California City, east of the Tehachapi Mountains. some of the best thermals in the world. Took a Cessna 150 to 2500AGL, shut off the engine and rode thermals to 25000AGL.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:31 PM   #4

Thanks, most people have no idea as to what a glider is and can do. My wife and I have our own gliders, hers is an ASW24 and I have an ASW27B. We are planning on having a trailer made that can fit both gliders and travel the country flying at many glider airports. I have flown in that area of California and look forward to doing the same in Utah and New Mexico. I already have a name for the skoolie, Glider HOBO!
Pawneetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawneetow View Post
Thanks, most people have no idea as to what a glider is and can do. My wife and I have our own gliders, hers is an ASW24 and I have an ASW27B. We are planning on having a trailer made that can fit both gliders and travel the country flying at many glider airports. I have flown in that area of California and look forward to doing the same in Utah and New Mexico. I already have a name for the skoolie, Glider HOBO!
I'm a currently active Expert licensed skydiver. I'm looking to get into hang gliding, ultralight, etc. so my time and distance in the air can be extended. Both of those would fit nicely in the bus.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote