Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Skoolie

Propane storage and distribution

Okay I am working I'm finding a bus to convert and I'm trying to figure out some of the conversion issues ahead of the game.

I'm at a loss as to the proper methodology to plumb a bus for propane. Specifically how do you split out from the mainline to each Appliance the refrigerator the stove oven the heater and the water heater?

I know from tent camping you can use a distribution tree on a tank and then use individual hoses. I suspect it should be similar in an RV but I'm not sure what to use for a manifold.

I've searched here and perhaps I'm looking in correctly but I can't seem to find any discussion of propane Plumbing in a bus. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated

dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I would use a propane manifold and mount it nearest the appliances being serviced and run one line back to the tank. The tank location will depend on the frame work of the particular bus you decide on.

The question doesn't have to be directly related to buses, but to propane manifolds. Once you have that info you transfer the info to the situation at hand, the bus.
When I think "I've searched here and perhaps I'm looking in correctly" I take my question to Google. In this case just Google "propane manifolds", it's pretty self explanatory from there.
Attached Thumbnails
mani.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Here's our cobbled up manifold
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4200_zps9a33ca31.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Are you hard gas pipe from the tank to the manifold?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Okay I am working I'm finding a bus to convert and I'm trying to figure out some of the conversion issues ahead of the game.

I'm at a loss as to the proper methodology to plumb a bus for propane. Specifically how do you split out from the mainline to each Appliance the refrigerator the stove oven the heater and the water heater?

I know from tent camping you can use a distribution tree on a tank and then use individual hoses. I suspect it should be similar in an RV but I'm not sure what to use for a manifold.

I've searched here and perhaps I'm looking in correctly but I can't seem to find any discussion of propane Plumbing in a bus. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated

Personally, I would go to the propane store in town where they can recommend what to use to distribute propane. They can also make custom length hoses with the correct connectors crimped on. Or you can use camping hoses and Ts.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Personally, I would go to the propane store in town where they can recommend what to use to distribute propane. They can also make custom length hoses with the correct connectors crimped on.
That is exactly what I did when I converted my first bus. I was fortunate to have found a propane outfit that had done a number of food trucks. They gave me great advice and made up the flexible "whips" to connect the hard line to the appliances.

I offered the same advice to another Skoolie builder recently. He went to a local propane outfit and came back with materials and advice that scared me. I suggested that he check with another installer, and make sure that they understood that this is a mobile install, to confirm that he was going in the right direction.

He checked with another company and they told him that what the first company suggested would be fine for a stationary install but for mobile he needed different materials.

The key difference was the flexible "whips" to connect between the hard line and the appliances. The "good" flex line was a similar material to the line on your BBQ. The "bad" flex line resembled flex condit.

Bottom line: For your own safety it is critical that you design and install the propane system properly. Get professional advice and make sure that you are talking to a professional that understands your application.

Have fun and be safe!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

My propane bottles live in a sealed plywood box under the bed. The box has an 1 1/2" vent out the bottom to the outside (propane is heavier than air). The connection between the propane regulator and the manifold is made by a rubber propane hose that's run inside a protective corrugated wiring cover that I removed when stripping out some bus wiring. The pigtails from the manifold to the appliances are the same (but much shorter) rubber hoses.

When installing look out for anything that may potentially wear through the hoses and be sure to test each connection with soapy water.

Most important of all, always, always, always use a quality propane alarm when in the bus.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #8
Skoolie

All very good advice. I should mention I'm trying to do this from a budget standpoint. I am or more correctly will be looking for a shorty bus nothing over 30 feet but I've got to have Headroom I believe the amtran is probably what I'm looking for. I will be using my already existing camping appliances at least for the time being but I will probably need to add a propane fridge.

The existing appliances are a Coleman 2 burner stove, a Zodi hot tap water heater, and a mr. Heater portable buddy.

Like I said budget is important because well let's face it if I can't afford to do it it's not going to happen.

I'm not worried about not having an oven because I have that Coleman folding oven to go on the stove and I know of lots of people in RVs and schoolies that are using the mr. Heater. My big question on appliances is really going to be the water heater I haven't had any problems using the Zodi hot tap for tent camping but it's designed to stand alone on a 1 pound propane cylinder. I use it fed to a hose and hung from a Lantern tripod so that is probably going to need to be rethought.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #9
Skoolie

Okay so I went and asked, and IF I got good info it looks like the procedure is as follows...

Can't seem to find it online, but what it seems, I have the following shopping / work to do...

Dual tank hookup kit. (Regulator, mount, whips) and mount kit. This will be attached on the outside of the bus on the back...

Feed line that is going to depend on the regulator output, most likely 1/4 or 3/8" flare from what I am reading.... Feed this to a matching 3/8" copper feed line into the bus via a good grommet / passtrhrough so we don't wear a hole in it...

Feed this into one of the above listed manifolds. Secure line, and manifold using rubber isolated tubling clips, and periodic rubber isolators.

Whatever thread the manifold has mating end to whatever the appliance needs on teh other end hose to make the connection, and allow for vibration / flexing...

And finally, to the appliance itself...

Make sure I have quality CO and Propane detectors in the rig, not to mention smoke detector, and I should, after verifying 100% that I have no leaks, should be good to go...
Old 02-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but your manifold appears to be 1/2" black iron tees, nipples, and 1/2 NPT x 1/2" flare brass fittings, with more than ample amounts of thread sealant.... And the 2 valves. Ball valves?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 AM   #11
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Newbies: Pretty good read if playing with propane

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...html#post94041
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Excellent advice I must throw the caveat there that I'm not exactly new with working with propane just new with working with it inside a bus or RV. I've been working with propane for tent camping for literally decades.

I'm not saying that propane is not without risks but even factory-installed propane systems can be dangerous and you must have a good working propane detector. The risk isn't so much when tent camping because you're not enclosed and if you have any brains you leak check everything before you light anything.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but your manifold appears to be 1/2" black iron tees, nipples, and 1/2 NPT x 1/2" flare brass fittings, with more than ample amounts of thread sealant.... And the 2 valves. Ball valves?

Correct! Valves are gas rated ball valves.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie questions. Lots of good info in this thread. My plan was for 2ea 100 lb propane tanks in the below floor storage area on my bus, with a line up through the floor, to a black iron line in the bus, to a manifold, with whips to appliances.
Looking thru hardware catalogs, I'm seeing a high pressure regulator, available for horizontal or vertical tanks. All the 100 lb tanks I'm looking at are vertical.
So, question #1. With proper cradling, can I use a 100 lb vertical tank horizontally with the horizontal regulator?
Question #2. Can I use a flexible line from the regulator to the bus's internal hard line?
This bus will be used off grid for extended periods, so I want max propane storage. Thanks in advance for any insights or advice.
Dave in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
Skoolie

I wouldn't think a vertical tank should be used horizontal. You'll end up with liquid coming out when it should be vaporized gas. There are plenty of 100lb horizontal tanks on the market, It would be best to go with what is designed for that application.

I would absolutely want a flexible line where there will be any sort of flexing / vibration... So yes, from the tanks to the hard plumbing on the bus, I would want a line that can flex without damage...

My idea, right or wrong, is thus...

2 @ 20lb tanks as they are easiest to get, an auto switching whip / regulator setup to a rack, and black iron. Plumb that back into the bus, to the manifold, and then individual whips to the appliances.

After seeing the suggestions here, and the recommendations of the propane shop near me, I am planning on going with 1/2" black iron, and using tees / gas valves for the manifold as was shown above, then 1/2" pipe thread to disposable cylinder thread whips for the appliances as I am reusing "camping" appliances...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
My friend has a 39 pound propane tank in his box truck. He has the same two burner + oven stove everyone else buys, he has an ecotemp l5 type water heater, he sometimes plugs in a buddy heater. He makes coffee a couple times per day and usually cooks one or two meals, plus a shower. After living in his box truck for a year and travelling, he had only used under half the capacity of his tank. A pair of 100 pound tanks would last him something like 5 years at that rate. Granted he's not spending much time in cold places but I'm planning to use about the same size tank for my new bus.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Absolutely, I suspect the poster did not have a LP / Propane leak detector, or it wasn't working...

They aren't that expensive, especially compared to hospitalization bills!

Amazon has a pretty nice LP / Propane / CO detector that I would think would help prevent accidents like this...

http://amzn.to/2CDolmu

Since propane is heavier than air, you'd want it mounted down low, like in a toe kick area...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
My friend has a 39 pound propane tank in his box truck. He has the same two burner + oven stove everyone else buys, he has an ecotemp l5 type water heater, he sometimes plugs in a buddy heater. He makes coffee a couple times per day and usually cooks one or two meals, plus a shower. After living in his box truck for a year and travelling, he had only used under half the capacity of his tank. A pair of 100 pound tanks would last him something like 5 years at that rate. Granted he's not spending much time in cold places but I'm planning to use about the same size tank for my new bus.
The main advantage I see to the Ecotemp vs the Zodi I have is that the Ecotemp can be hard plumbed. I see a LOT of those used in van builds. They aren't much more expensive than a Zodi either... I would have gone that way, but I already own a Zodi...

I need to figure out how to mount the Zodi, OR go with the Ecotemp. That is in the budget.

FWIW, one of the builds I saw, the shower was next to the kitchen counter, and the shower head moved from shower to sink and doubled in function. Very nice setup for a small space...

On your point of fuel usage.... I have had the same 20lb cylinder, that I got in one of those tank exchanges in 2005, refilled it in 2010, yes it is way out of date by now and needs to be replaced, but I have, with frequent camping, using a Buddy Heater, Camp Stove, lantern, and Zodi, I have used all of maybe 30lbs of propane in the last 12 years...

Now full disclosure, I have and prefer to use for out of the car 4x4 camping, my liquid fueled Coleman stove, lantern, and heater, (I have a home made heat exchanger / shower rig). That has cut pretty deeply into the fuel usage, but combined propane, and white gas use over the last I'd say 15 years has been less than 40lbs propane, and 8 gallons white gas...

The reason I use the propane exchanges is simple, I can take a horridly out of date tank in, and for $20.00 get a reasonably newish tank and 15lbs of propane. When that is done, I can refill the tank with 20lbs and keep going...
Old 02-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, I'm looking at horizontal propane tanks, and my confusion is due to various capacity advertising.
Some tanks are listed by gallons, some by pounds, and some by dimensions. The one I'm looking at is 14" dia (approx) by 40", made by Manchester. How does this translate to gallons or pounds?
Dave in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
They're not supposed to accept an outdated tank at an exchange place but let's be honest, you're dealing with a gas station employee. I can swap a tank for $15 at the local Piggly Wiggly.