Old 11-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Pros/Cons on Types of Paint Sprayers

I am looking for thoughts on different types of paint sprayers. I would like to spray my bus because that seems like it would be a nicer finish. However I do not have a sprayer yet. I already have a 30 gallon air compressor so I can use that if needed.
In addition to my bus it would be nice if I could use it on other things too, like the outside of my house.
What do you like or dislike about any you have used?

I always look to Harbor Freight first because I have had very good luck with the infrequent use of their cheap tools. Thoughts on any of their models?
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
Skoolie

What volume of are (CFM) can it put out at say, 40-60psi?
Do you have a pressure regulator and filter?

I used a cheap gun (think harbor freight) and a large 220 60gal compressor and got mixed results - mostly because of poor regulator/filter issues. I had very variable air pressure..it would start out high then drop as I used air..inconsistent air pressure (or flow) will give inconsistent results.

the newest guns are all HPLV (hi pressure low volume). These have the paint on top of the gun instead of in a can underneath. Supposedly they're more environmentally friendly...less overspray I suppose.

Don't know how these work compared to the 'old' style guns as I've not used them.
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Skoolie

I suppose you have a few options. The first being the HVLP style. HF has these for well under $100. They work good, the paint needs to be thinned and it takes a little practice to get a god finish. You need an air compressor, but not as large as an old style gun. This style may require several coats to get the coverage you want.
Next would be a Wagner Power Painter type gun. Electric, no air needed. This can be used around the house on the fence, and walls of the house, etc. You would not have to thin the paint as much, or at all depending on the paint used. The finish will not be as good as an HVLP, but would be good enough for a bus. These are a bit slow also, but will waist less paint in over spray. May cover in one coat, could need two.
Third would be a rented commercial sprayer. You would need to rent one for oil based paint to do the bus. These put out a lot of paint real fast. The finish would be fine for a bus and would get the job done fast. These will use a bit more paint due to the over spray, they move a lot of paint. Would be cheap, as you only rent it for the day. This would cover on one coat.
So, all depends on how you want to do it.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I can't seem to find the link, but remember several members having a lot of praise for a Wagoner HPLV gun. Hate that I can't stumble over the model #, but plan to get one when I reach that point. I believe that a guy on you tube sowed it well, in his video. Search "painting a bus", and I bet you find it.

Good luck
1olfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I think I use this HF spray gun It works well with proper pressure. I clogged my first one from using ceramic beads with my paint, but I also got a one year warranty with intention to abuse it. I don't have a lot of experience with using spray guns so I can't tell you how good it is, but it looks a lot better than using a roller. The reviews on the website seem to favor others.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Found what I was looking for. The Wagner Power painter plus seems to have good reviews.

onward
1olfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Skoolie

"good enough for a bus"...LOL.

Translate to "i'm lazy and not willing to do it right so I'll just do like an idiot instead"

C'mon folks - do it right, it's not that much more difficult and often easier in the end WITH better results.

I've seen people rattle can cars, paint with a brush, use housepaint, etc...really?

And you wonder why some campgrounds don't like skoolies?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.fate View Post
"good enough for a bus"...LOL.

Translate to "i'm lazy and not willing to do it right so I'll just do like an idiot instead"

C'mon folks - do it right, it's not that much more difficult and often easier in the end WITH better results.

I've seen people rattle can cars, paint with a brush, use housepaint, etc...really?

And you wonder why some campgrounds don't like skoolies?
Kind of harsh but hard to argue with....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #9
Skoolie

different paint is made for different things - you COULD buy the cheapest house paint at walmart and paint your bus.

You SHOULD use car paint and spray it.

It's 'foreign' to most of us - the tools, the chemicals, the costs, the procedures. I get that.

But it's the proper tool for the job, so to speak.

I'll spray it for ya - no problem. that's EASY.

Prep work is what determines how good the end result it..and that's where all the time and sweat comes in.

I've sanded a couple of vehicles for painting..i'd rather be covered in honey and thrown on a fire ant pile. And a bus is a whole lot bigger.

but go look at the pictures of buses - you see cool ones and crap ones..a big difference? PAINT!

This?

Or this?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
Good enough for a "School Bus" can also be translated into....

"Not looking to get a car show, two foot deep gloss finish, just want something that looks good and seals the steel and other materials from the weather and road grime."

Having been in the construction biz for 25ish years I've needed some of my work trucks to look decent but didn't want to spend a ton of money on tools, time and paint. I agree 110% it's all about the prep but money can be saved on the paint and tools. Before spraying your rig spend some time spraying some different materials to see how it comes out based on paint thickness and gun adjustments. Keep track of your formulas and have enough product ready to go to finish the area you started.

Tags
paint, tools