Old 08-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Question On Running Propane Line.

Can a person use a propane bulkhead fitting thru the web portion of a frame rail with flex hose on each side?? I need to get the gas to the otherside of the bus but don't want to run the line under the frame rails.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I like to have as few connections as possible so I would run low pressure rubber propane hose through the rails with rubber grommets or the like for protection. Maybe even run the hose through some sort of protective flexible conduit.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if I were running propane lines under the bus where they are exposed and not inside the frame or such i would want them someshow sheathed.. similar to how the air-brakes lines are run on my DEV bus.. they are tied close and inside the frame rail.. much less likliehood of road debris coming up and slicing... im not sure if you can use steel braided lines for propane or not.. however they are designed for other petroleums at high pressure.. and those lines are pretty resilient to damage.. even though they cost.. id think thats one area where its worth it to be a bit spendy..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Can a person use a propane bulkhead fitting thru the web portion of a frame rail with flex hose on each side?? I need to get the gas to the otherside of the bus but don't want to run the line under the frame rails.
Are you running high-pressure propane, or is it after the regulator?

Not sure on Crown, but I can go over the frame rail and under the bus body in the gap the floor frame makes.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
No more joints than necessary. I'd do it in a rigid steel pipe designed for propane use.
I heard old swimming pool vac hose makes for a great sleeve underneath buses.
You would need a gas fitter licence up here to run that as it would need be inspected before you are allowed to fill the tanks. And also to satisfy insurance company because they will ask who did it. And if you don't notify them, you have no insurance.

John
Old 08-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Are you running high-pressure propane, or is it after the regulator?

Not sure on Crown, but I can go over the frame rail and under the bus body in the gap the floor frame makes.
After the regulater, I don't have enough gap between body & frame to run lines.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Why are you worried about running the propane under the frame rails? The pipe there would still be a good distance from the ground. I wouldn't be making holes through the middle of the frame rail, even if only because it would be bloody difficult to get through Crown's 90,000 PSI steel with a hole saw! I agree about keeping joints and connections to a minimum, the fewer the better to possibly leak.

From my regulator I run 1/2" Pro-Flex CSST gas pipe (it's a flexible stainless-steel corrugated gas hose/pipe, ideal for a bus conversion), under the frame rails and over the top of the grey tank, inside 3/4" EMT conduit for added protection, to the 5 branch distribution manifold on the other side of the bus. Each branch of the manifold also uses continuous runs of 1/2" Pro-Flex inside conduit directly to each appliance with no intermediate joints or connections. Pro-Flex also has a flexible steel reinforcement available for their CSST which I use in a few places. Where the CSST runs behind my right front wheel to get to the generator next to the door, it's inside conduit that in turn is inside some thick-wall stainless pipe, in other words nothing could damage it! (Not that I would have it pressurized with propane while driving anyway.)

CSST is so easy to use. You can bend it to go around things, it's lightweight and completely corrosion-proof, it can withstand vibration and movement better than rigid pipe, and it's easy to install.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Why are you worried about running the propane under the frame rails? The pipe there would still be a good distance from the ground. I wouldn't be making holes through the middle of the frame rail, even if only because it would be bloody difficult to get through Crown's 90,000 PSI steel with a hole saw! I agree about keeping joints and connections to a minimum, the fewer the better to possibly leak.

From my regulator I run 1/2" Pro-Flex CSST gas pipe (it's a flexible stainless-steel corrugated gas hose/pipe, ideal for a bus conversion), under the frame rails and over the top of the grey tank, inside 3/4" EMT conduit for added protection, to the 5 branch distribution manifold on the other side of the bus. Each branch of the manifold also uses continuous runs of 1/2" Pro-Flex inside conduit directly to each appliance with no intermediate joints or connections. Pro-Flex also has a flexible steel reinforcement available for their CSST which I use in a few places. Where the CSST runs behind my right front wheel to get to the generator next to the door, it's inside conduit that in turn is inside some thick-wall stainless pipe, in other words nothing could damage it! (Not that I would have it pressurized with propane while driving anyway.)

CSST is so easy to use. You can bend it to go around things, it's lightweight and completely corrosion-proof, it can withstand vibration and movement better than rigid pipe, and it's easy to install.

John
I'lll have to look up this CSST
Old 08-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Chassis: Shuttle or Shorty. Still hunting
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14 to 24 pref
From my research and discussions with LP professionals, it is not only a bad idea, but EXTREMELY dangerous to run LP flexible rubber lines inside of ANY kind of conduit or sealed chase. The rubber hoses made and used for LP are designed to allow some bleeding thru of the propane. Not to mention the vibrations of the inside hose/ pipe. Therefore if inside a conduit, it will build up. Any spark and bye bye bus. Everything I can find recommends or even requires LP systems to be run via galvanized pipe with fittings to the rubber hoses or copper only after the galvanized black pipe has entered the RV. I know not everyone shares the concern and have seen many debates on cost/ difficulty/ practicality.......but for me and my loved ones that will be USING my unit, I choose their safety over a couple bucks.

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html
Gasco Propane: Propane Properties, Safety and Handling.
Propane 101 - Promoting Propane Safety Through Understanding
http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?ca ... kie_test=1
Coach Care | Cummins Sales and Service

BE SAFE. LP systems are the single most dangerous part of any RV build.

Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Defjr333, I strongly agree with the rigid line plan. But, long ago, I decided that the right side of Brunhilde would be my "wet" side and the "dry" side (electrical) would be on the left (driver's) side. No chance of cross-contamination.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote