Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I tried using an adapter similar that plugged into an ELM OBD-II device but torque didnt recognize the J1587 protocol so it didnt work...

torque saw the ELM device but never read any data out from my computer on the bus..

I read an RV blog someplace where a guy built his own interface and I believe posted the schematics to it..

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I tried using an adapter similar that plugged into an ELM OBD-II device but torque didnt recognize the J1587 protocol so it didnt work...

torque saw the ELM device but never read any data out from my computer on the bus..

I read an RV blog someplace where a guy built his own interface and I believe posted the schematics to it..

-Christopher
I can download the Navistar software, is there an adapter to laptop that could be used. I would want verify the accuracy of my gauges, at the very least.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
I can download the Navistar software, is there an adapter to laptop that could be used. I would want verify the accuracy of my gauges, at the very least.

the adapter that Navistar supprts is a $700 NEXIQ USB-LINK 2 (I have one)..

the VMSpc was $400 and he gives you the software to design your own gauge panel layouts.. however not all the PIDs are there.. IE on my 444E it wont read me HPOP data..

I may have ot make my own software for it.

the VMSpc cant be used to program any parameters such as tire sizes, auto idle , cruise control, etc..

the NEXIQ can be used to program parameters with the serviceMaxx software you downloaded but ServiceMaxx doesnt have a nice road-driving screen... (alas why I have both devices)..

NEXIQ will provide you the API to the USB Link 2 so you could write your own software for a nice driving display.. (again I may do this)...

-Christopher
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:

the VMSpc was $400 and he gives you the software to design your own gauge panel layouts.. however not all the PIDs are there.. IE on my 444E it wont read me HPOP data..

the VMSpc cant be used to program any parameters such as tire sizes, auto idle , cruise control, etc..

the NEXIQ can be used to program parameters with the serviceMaxx software you downloaded but ServiceMaxx doesnt have a nice road-driving screen... (alas why I have both devices)..

NEXIQ will provide you the API to the USB Link 2 so you could write your own software for a nice driving display.. (again I may do this)...

-Christopher
Well... I am not about to spend 700 right now, so that idea is out! Lol.
I will have to wait till you and I cross paths someday and see it in action.
I wish I had the know how to write my own software.

Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:

-Christopher

Have you heard of or have an opinion on the SGD Scan Guage product [https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/SG2D...hicle-Monitor] ?

This question is for everyone, not just CadillacKid.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #26
Bus Geek

wow this is a blast from the past thread.. cool stuff..

I know several members here have the scanGauge D and it works good.. I have the OBD-II version and it is a good solid device.. if theres any complaint I have with it is that the Display is standard LCD with backligbt (you can change the colors).. so the numbers are black on a lighted background.. I like my displays the other way.. otherwise I think its a great device for getting some detailed engine data and doesnt cost as much as other solutions..

if you have a tablet or smartphone the Bluefire Device is another one thats recently come out and sends data to your phone.. it gives you the benefit of better display, though it requires a tablet or phone to do it, whereas scangauge is self contained.

-Christopher
Old 02-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I found a good use for an old fire. I'm writing an operators manual that includes wiring diagrams of everything I have built and added as well as all the manuals for everything. Some of the manuals I've added pages with model and serial numbers. Also deleted the non English pages.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
that sounds like a huge project
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I have both the scangauge and the BlueFire. I like them both for different reasons. cadillackid is right on:

The scangauge is:
* self-contained, but visually unappealing
* hard-wired to your bus systems
* can only print up to four operating parameters on the screen at a time
* a little difficult to see

The BlueFire is:
* bluetooth-connected to your bus systems, therefore requires a phone or tablet

* can actually record all operating parameters while you drive
* able to get 8 parameters on the screen at a time (i.e. tablet)
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Thank you all ... I just found the BlueFire-LLC site. Both do seem to have a lot of missing gauges that I really want to see. Thank you for the tips and pointers and most especially your candid evaluation of both.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #31
Bus Geek

what gauges are you looking to see? both caterpillar and Navistar have proprietary PGNs and SPNs in their J1939 and proprietary PIDs in their J1708 data streams..

these come in the form of requested parameters.. I sniffed the data link between my Nexiq and the J1708 bus and found many of the "gauges" that exist in the ServiceMaxx software. are not part of the published J1708 standard..

these off-the-shelf devices only support the standard Published PGNs/SPNs(J1939) or PIDs(J170...

this is frustrating at times because some of the most useful data doesnt get published on the data bus without being requested..

ive gone off on my own direction (as i get time) because of this.. I want more data thats pertinent to the deeper operation of the engine...

-Christopher
Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
what gauges are you looking to see?

ive gone off on my own direction (as i get time) because of this.. I want more data thats pertinent to the deeper operation of the engine...

-Christopher

Our odometer started to NOT record the mileage correctly shortly after we acquired The Beast. So, I would like to have the odometer indicated by the ECM. I would also like to see the fuel economy and perhaps a few other indications. I did look into the BlueFire-LLC product and it is very promising. I like that the app can act as a log book and can even be downloaded.

At present, I do not have the knowledge to know what some of the internal engine parameters should be, so a gauge would not be of use to me until I learn more. However, I am interested in the J1587/J1708 specification and its replacement J1939 ... but not enough (at present) to fork over the $$$ that the SAE/ACE wants for them. WAAAAY back when, one of my work projects was to design an interface for an engine monitoring system. It was a fun project to code up. I might be interested in doing a custom job for The Beast as well.

Question: Does the BlueFire-LLC device plug into the diagnostic port located under the dash?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Bluefire plugs into the diagnostic port.. depending on your year, your connector will be a gray 6 pin, or green(likely color) 9 pin.. both are round deutsch connectors..

ive been doing some coding up of various parameters on mine.. I think I detailed some of my testing on 'The redbyrd Transformation' thread. in the short bus projects..

MPG is a calculated parameter.. generally you take speed and fuel flow gallons per hour. which are both supported on most J1708/J1939 streams and calculate the MPG.. its somewhat accurate..

Odometer and hour meter are also sent as PIDs on most J1708 / J1939 streams as well..

some parameters asre sent automatically on a periodic basis all the time... others you send a request message out for the PID(J170 or PGN(J1939) for the parameter you want..

I use an adapter to do the heavy hitting of the interface itself.. an RS485 Variant with some quirks and special timing requirements..

https://buy.advantech-bb.com/Product...ID=BB-HDV100A3

I have a couple of those I play with..

I have the J1708 and J1939 Specs but the files are too large for the forum to accept them as attachments..

-Christopher
Old 02-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Bluefire plugs into the diagnostic port.. depending on your year, your connector will be a gray 6 pin, or green(likely color) 9 pin.. both are round deutsch connectors..

Thank you, I suspected that the diagnostic port was the interface point for the Bluefire device. Mine is a grey 9-pin connector ... though only 6 have actual connectors.

Quote:
ive been doing some coding up of various parameters on mine.. I think I detailed some of my testing on 'The redbyrd Transformation' thread. in the short bus projects..

I have been reading through that thread and have not yet got to that part ... perhaps soon.

Quote:
Odometer and hour meter are also sent as PIDs on most J1708 / J1939 streams as well..

I was thinking something like that was the case. That means they should be available to most any decent scanner/tool. Cool!

Quote:
some parameters asre sent automatically on a periodic basis all the time... others you send a request message out for the PID(J170 or PGN(J1939) for the parameter you want..

Lots of data to be had, but you have to know what you want and ask for it. Got it. Not that I'll be diving into the interface any time soon!

Quote:
I use an adapter to do the heavy hitting of the interface itself.. an RS485 Variant with some quirks and special timing requirements..

I have a couple of those I play with..

I just took a quick look at the link you provided, thanks! I think I want one too.

Quote:
I have the J1708 and J1939 Specs but the files are too large for the forum to accept them as attachments..

-Christopher

Sometime in the future (waaaay distant) I might need them but for now having the additional gauges in The Beast will suffice.

Native P-)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
I just found this one.

NEXIQ Blue-Link™ Mini

https://www.nexiq.com/Product/Detail...Specifications
PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #36
Bus Geek

the bluelink is cool.. says it supports both J1939 and J1708, however it only comes with a 9 pin connector.. some of the older busses have the 6 pin..
Old 06-23-2019, 01:01 AM   #37
Bus Geek

The device may support both the J1708 and J1939 protocos over the 9-pin connector.

I have the BlueFire device and had to enable the J1708 protocol to get certain data points. Some of the data points (like tach, coolant temp) were J1939 and others (like odometer) were J1708.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
J1939 PC interface for CAN monitoring and diagnostics

Hi Christopher

I just bought a HDV100A3, and when googling around for SW support, I ended up with this post! Small world!

Quote:
This one is RS-232 based (not RS-485).

I downloaded the command spec Streamer: J1708 and J1939 to RS-232 Intelligent Converter but my gut tells me someone must have already implemented some sort of a front end for this. Have you found any? A google search turned up your post here...

Quote:
OK, now you have my attention. Care to do a wetransfer or something?

Thanks much
Bert
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
Hmmm. My edit is not going through. So a quick new post:

I was assuming that, surely, an RP1210 driver exists for this adapter, considering both the API and this B&B adapter are extensively documented.

Well. No. At least I could not find any. Bummer.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote