Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Raising the Roof!

Hi all!
I have a 4-window E350 shortie.
Currently, I am trying to figure out how to raise the roof and the best (and most fun option) has been to use a boat.
This weekend I purchased a 10’ long by 4’ wide aluminum fishing boat. I’ll be cutting one of the 6 horizontal steel cross beams to create a ~6 foot opening between the two other ribs adjacent to it so I can stand in my kitchen area. I plan on scribing and cutting the boat to match the curve of the roof, and attaching it with layers like this: putty tape -> 2” wide rubber -> putty tape -> eternabond roofing tape -> some type of strip to “sandwich” it all -> and then bolting it down to the steel cross beams that provide the structure for the roof.
What do y’all think? Does anyone have any suggestions? There’s absolutely no material out there for other folks who have used a boat to raise a roof, and any input from you seasoned converters would be much appreciated.
I’m super excited about this challenge- and definitely know it’ll work in the long run, but I want to be sure all my options for mounting it are explored!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
CC6B195A-340E-4D03-A2C9-388B494FACF9.jpg  

HotDonnaTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDonnaTheBus View Post
Hi all!
Currently, I am trying to figure out how to raise the roof and the best (and most fun option) has been to use a boat.
This weekend I purchased a 10’ long by 4’ wide aluminum fishing boat. I’ll be cutting one of the 6 horizontal steel cross beams to create a ~6 foot opening between the two other ribs adjacent to it so I can stand in my kitchen area. I plan on scribing and cutting the boat to match the curve of the roof, and attaching it with layers like this: putty tape -> 2” wide rubber -> putty tape -> eternabond roofing tape -> some type of strip to “sandwich” it all -> and then bolting it down to the steel cross beams that provide the structure for the roof.
What do y’all think? Does anyone have any suggestions? There’s absolutely no material out there for other folks who have used a boat to raise a roof, and any input from you seasoned converters would be much appreciated.
I’m super excited about this challenge- and definitely know it’ll work in the long run, but I want to be sure all my options for mounting it are explored!

Thanks in advance!
depending on the sturdiness of the boat, it might make a slick quick roof raise
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotDonnaTheBus View Post
Hi all!

Thanks in advance!
From the thumbnail, I thought this was a coffin you were going to use to raise the roof. Fishing boat seems like a much better idea.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, advice neded, build