Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 28
Re-installing windows in Bluebird

I am currently finishing a complete remodel of my 1992 Bluebird TC2000. I have reglazed all the windows and cleaned up the aluminum frames. I am now ready to re-install them in the bus. What should I use for a sealant when installing them in the bus. I have heard just use silicon and some say rubber weatherstripping. Any help would be appreciated.

ron_erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Re-installing windows in Bluebird

Never did a bus... But on my 5th wheel I put a rubber seal, (purchased fron Home Depot) a peel and stick about a 1/3 inch round, stick it to the inside of the frame that goes against the outside of the bus body,mount the windows tighly and then put silcone around the frame on the outside, never leaked while I owned it......
Hope this helps

Roy B.
AKA GreyEagle
Old 05-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I reinstalled my windows (and blanks) with LOTS of door and window caulk (siliconized latex) on the bottom and sides. I kept the vinyl weather strip that was on top of the frames (removed strip, cleaned and reinstalled). I'm assuming you are asking how to reinstall the frames. Unless you are asking about the glass being reinstalled in the frames. I cleaned and reused the original vinyl weather stripping.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Looks like you did a reall good job !!!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
I reinstalled my windows (and blanks) with LOTS of door and window caulk (siliconized latex) on the bottom and sides.
Same thing I did, except I used butyl rubber strip caulk. I think that is what the windows originally had to seal them when I pulled them out and cleaned them up. I also used the butyl rubber caulk to seal in my window replacement panels.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I only had the butyl caulk in the corners and no place else. I think all of our windows had been previously removed/reinstalled and they also had generous amounts (several layers) of silicone caulk with lots of dirt between the layers. I don't know which is worse to remove... butyl or silicone! But they also had a stingy bead of latex caulk on the sides. Sine we will not be able to get to the windows (easily) once they are buried behind walls, etc, I just decided to err on the side of "too much" rather than "not enough"
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote