Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: Handy bus
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rear cap removal

Greetings all,
New to the forum but not skoolies. I am currently working on a 2002 32' bluebird handybus. This bus is going to be converted to a very large pickup truck that will have a gigantic meat smoker mounted in the bed. There will be a kitchen in what is left of the cabin. I intend to travel to festivals and the like to vend BBQ.
I am not new to fabrication or mechanics, I don't think this conversion will be too awfully hard compared to the bus's in the past that I have converted to RV's.
With that being said.... Has anyone here ever taken the rear clip off of their bus? This is one task i have never even considered doing until this idea for this bus. Just curious as to what I should be looking for that holds it on besides the rivets. I have drilled out every single rivet on the rear clip, as well as removed the rear air.but as of now, that clip isn't budging in the least....I figured by now it would at the least have a little bit of wiggle to it, but not one bit so far. Just fishing to see if anyone knows offhand what else I might need to be looking for.
Thank you in advance for all help and criticism.

SmokinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue bird
Chassis: Handy bus
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Re: Rear cap removal

At first I was thinking that the rear cap would come off as 1 big piece. But now I am thinking differently. The more rivets I drilled, the more I could see that was showing me exactly how this thing was put together. I now believe that the yellow skins were all attached to the vehicle 1 piece at a time. Not built as the rear cap then attached. I now am to a point that all of the pieces should start coming off one at a time. I have been taking pics the whole way through and will post them soon.
Nobody has posted in this thread, if it is because nobody here has attempted this and wasn't sure exactly how it was done, there will soon be a thread showing how its done for all the folks that may want to convert eir skoolie to a car hauler or any other such thing.
SmokinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
Re: Rear cap removal

gonna be a great thread! i havnt posted because of ignorance but im'a watchin!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote