Old 09-27-2015, 10:13 AM   #21
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
These had transaxles, but automatics weren't available till later, and they sucked.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #22
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
What pickup has a transaxle?
I meant driveshaft, sorry for using incorrect words, and thank you for the correction.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #23
Bus Geek
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
I went down to a PPL RV store near me, and they recommended a local welder that specialized in RV's and heavy/commercial trucks and buses. Cost was $750 + tax for a Class IV welded on. I am willing to pay someone with 30+ years of specialty and experience for the confidence of being able to break the bus or bend the frame before I have something go wrong with my hitch.

I still need to do the wiring, but I am still trying to figure out exactly how to pull my pickup yet. I would prefer to pull flat, but the pick-up is an automatic, so I don't want to have to drop the transaxle every time I hook up and unhook.
You should have had that welder build you a simple wheel lift on the back of your bus VS the hitch.

Then, just like on the back of a tow truck, you could have lifted the drive wheels of the vehicle your towing off the ground.

Much much safer, No wear and tear on the toad, No drive shaft to disconnect, better stopping due to the weight of the toad being on the rear wheels of the bus, ect.

And you could have still used it as a adjustable height trailer hitch.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote

hitch, towing