Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Engine: 6.9L IDI, International
Removing a/c unit and heaters

I feel very accomplished as I have finally taken down the ceiling a/c unit in my bus. I have hit my head on it more times than I can count and it does not work well enough for its size, so it has to go.

Are there any fluids that need to be collected and disposed of from the a/c hoses?

The unit has its own diesel tank and engine, so I was curious to know if anyone has experience with wiring in a new unit (heating or cooling) to the existing tank and engine, or if it would even be possible/worth it?

I also have the two black box floor heaters that I am hoping to get out of the way, but am not entirely sure how to go about doing that.

I am doing some research on my own, but ANY advice regarding either the heater or a/c removal will be much appreciated in the meantime!!!
Attached Thumbnails
ac engine.jpg   ac engine 2.jpg   ac unit..jpg  

Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
There should be ports either on the compressor or at least near it to connect hoses to an evacuation pump for the refrigerant. Might be best to have someone do that as they will have the right equipment. Would be cheaper then doing it yourself, unless you want to get into working on a/c, then it would make sense to buy a pump, gauges, and recovery tank.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
What is your eventual goal?
if you're removing the whole system, any auto shop that works on air conditioning should be able to recover the refrigerant safely... and you'd have more than one member interested in taking your old parts to repair their broken systems. (yours truly included)

if you intend on reworking the system to keep it functional, keep in mind that the components are sized to work together. Throwing up a lower capacity (smaller) evaporator could cause problems elsewhere in the system.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

The heater core hoses are loops, you can connect the two ends together after you take one out. They are full of anti freeze so you should be prepared to have some puddles on your floor as you undo them.

If you undo all of them you will need to plug or loop the hoses that come off of the engine. Mine had a valve installed by the engine that I could just turn shut, I am not sure if it was stock or someone installed it after.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
If you undo all of them you will need to plug or loop the hoses that come off of the engine. Mine had a valve installed by the engine that I could just turn shut, I am not sure if it was stock or someone installed it after.
The valve is stock, it allows you to disable the heater during the warm months. Even with the fans disabled you have a non-trivial amount of heat radiating from them.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm not sure if I'd remove everything out of there.

That engine could be used to power a generator head and you'd have an onboard generator then.

Unless you don't need onboard power, then cut it out, but it wouldn't make sense to me to get rid of that to replace it with a cheap gas powered unit that you have to drag along inside.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
separate diesel engine for A/C and heat? thats a dream come true.. put that equipment back and keep it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
What is your eventual goal?
if you're removing the whole system, any auto shop that works on air conditioning should be able to recover the refrigerant safely... and you'd have more than one member interested in taking your old parts to repair their broken systems. (yours truly included)

if you intend on reworking the system to keep it functional, keep in mind that the components are sized to work together. Throwing up a lower capacity (smaller) evaporator could cause problems elsewhere in the system.
I’m leaving the two units in my shorty. The rear unit I have incorporated into my cabinets. The front unit I am wanting to change the evaporator to an under dash unit. Reducing it will cause a problem for the system? Each unit has its own compressor. Both evaporator & condenser will have to be changed to operate properly?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
That is what I would think. Splice a alternator on it at the same time.. It is winter that piny diesel is still on my to do list.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I’m leaving the two units in my shorty. The rear unit I have incorporated into my cabinets. The front unit I am wanting to change the evaporator to an under dash unit. Reducing it will cause a problem for the system? Each unit has its own compressor. Both evaporator & condenser will have to be changed to operate properly?

unless you need the room, keep the same condensor and maybe disconnect one of the fans if the new under dash unit is a real low capacity.. I havent yet seen an under-dash unit that will begin to cool the driver area of a Bus.. the Dash A/C in my DEV bus is a 20,000 BTU unit and it moves enough ice cold air on me that im pretty cool. but a regular 9000 BTU under-dash jeep or add-on unit wouldnt begin to handle the engine and windshield heat..
Old 01-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
unless you need the room, keep the same condensor and maybe disconnect one of the fans if the new under dash unit is a real low capacity.. I havent yet seen an under-dash unit that will begin to cool the driver area of a Bus.. the Dash A/C in my DEV bus is a 20,000 BTU unit and it moves enough ice cold air on me that im pretty cool. but a regular 9000 BTU under-dash jeep or add-on unit wouldnt begin to handle the engine and windshield heat..
Thanks Chris. I just acquired an evaporator unit that is manufactured down in your stomping grounds in St. Cloud. I just spoke with the tech at Hoseline Inc. He told me the unit is good up to 30,000 BTU. The unit is pretty small physically (17” x 17”). I’ll need to take it to an A/C shop and have it checked out. The smaller underdash units just won’t get it done huh?
Old 01-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I stomp in the st cloud area at times.. (I need to be stomping there more since its finally getting cold in ohio!)..

30k under dash unit? im interested to know what it is.. most are 9000...

I recently helped someone design a re-vamped heating / cooling / defrosting system around this unit.. as far as i know it hasnt been started yet as his bus project has taken a backseat to his new business that took off like gangbusters..

https://www.proairllc.com/960-electr...ool-dash-unit/

his bus was a more southerb bought bus so it didnt even have a right-side defroster or door heater.. and like nost carpenters the driver heater was in shambles so its coming out like mine did.. and he wanted heat / cool / defrost
Old 01-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I stomp in the st cloud area at times.. (I need to be stomping there more since its finally getting cold in ohio!)..

30k under dash unit? im interested to know what it is.. most are 9000...

I recently helped someone design a re-vamped heating / cooling / defrosting system around this unit.. as far as i know it hasnt been started yet as his bus project has taken a backseat to his new business that took off like gangbusters..

https://www.proairllc.com/960-electr...ool-dash-unit/

his bus was a more southerb bought bus so it didnt even have a right-side defroster or door heater.. and like nost carpenters the driver heater was in shambles so its coming out like mine did.. and he wanted heat / cool / defrost
I’ll definitely keep that link if this unit doesn’t work out. The Hoseline unit is made mainly for fire trucks. My shorty has set quietly while I was taking care of more important stuff ( heart attack 2 years yesterday). I’m determined to have this puppy on the toad by June. I want it ready to go to Talladega in October.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #14
Bus Nut

I meant to send this pic to you Chris. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks
Attached Thumbnails
62A8F625-CD50-4F04-9B9E-31F947396CF9.jpg  
Old 01-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
Bus Geek

looks almost identical to the unit I installed..

I gutted out my original driver heater box and put in a new heat / cool unit for the driver.. kept my right-side heat-only system the way it always was.. this one is 20k A/C and has a heater in it too.. I also added a new heat-only unit for supplemental heat up front..

Click image for larger version

Name:	frigiking-front.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	40940
Old 01-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:

I gutted out my original driver heater box and put in a new heat / cool unit for the driver.. kept my right-side heat-only system the way it always was.. this one is 20k A/C and has a heater in it too.. I also added a new heat-only unit for supplemental heat up front..

Attachment 40940
How big of a chore was it removing the driver heater box?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
The valve is stock, it allows you to disable the heater during the warm months. Even with the fans disabled you have a non-trivial amount of heat radiating from them.
That makes sense, it would be counter productive to have hot water flowing thru the heater cores in the summer. Unless the driver wanted punishment seats.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:

Attachment 40940
I have a couple of more questions on my existing evaporator that I’m removing. Should I just PM you?

Bobby
Old 09-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 37+1
I have two separate A/C systems. One in front, and one and back. I am keeping the front unit. The back unit I have already removed, along with the coolant hoses and electrical wire. It was then I learned that the bus would not start without the wire being connected. There must be a sensor or a circuit that cannot be severed in order for the bus to start. I have to take out the back condenser in order to fit my gray tank there, and I would like to remove its generator too, if possible. My question is, how do I close the circuit, or remove the sensor, in order to conquer this A/C beast?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193905424@N08/shares/wybjEf
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193905.../shares/b41987

Dawna

Tags
a/c, a/c removal, heater removal, heaters, help me