Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Ended up going cave man style and just bashing it with a hammer. (OK so not quite cave man, could have used a rock.) Turns out the rubber around mine was one piece that the glass sat in a groove in the middle.

I put a sheet on the grass outside the bus and a towel on the inside, which caught most of the shards. Then I vacuumed the grass around the edge of the sheet and the inside of the bus to make sure there weren't any pieces lurking about.

The AC unit fits very well with only a half inch or less on each side. Gonna build a sheet metal frame for it to sit in the window, situated so that it's flush with the topmost part so we get more cool air higher up. Right now it just has wood and tape blocking out the rest of the window space, and it cooled the bus down to around 70 degrees within twenty minutes or so. It was probably 85 outside and had been in the 90s during the day.
onenationundergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Originally Posted by Seroflorus View Post
Blast and dam...I just hate not being able to help.
You DID help the future blue bird owners who plan on removing the rear windows. Your tips have been archived for the future generations.
My build page: Armageddon - The Smell of Airborne Rust
jazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #13
Bus Geek
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I used a utility knife to cut the outer lip off the gasket. Window pushed out with almost no effort in one piece.

Took less than 3 min each with a new sharp blade.

I chose this method due to how stiff and sun baked my glass gaskets were.

"Don't argue with stupid people. They will just drag you down to their level, and beat you up with experience."

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
Almost There
Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
nat_ster may have the best (or at least quickest) option since most glass/window shops have the gasket ... only 'trick' would be gluing it up in the round.

best to call the local shop first to make sure you can get your replacement before the next rain.
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
Bus Nut
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I have changed a few truck back glasses from solid to split back and sprayed baby oil and a guitar string or piano string starting in a corner worked beautiful!
Just like I was taught
I bought my bus and it had a cracked drivers window. The bus barn gave me a spare to go with it but I had to change it before I did my first inspection and spraying the sun deteriorated rubber with baby oil mixed with water several times and up to the day softened the rubber enough my pocket knife and a plastic paint paint scraper did the replacement with no issue including removing the cracked windshield?
I am probably to late to help with the original problem but I hope I can help in the future as to what I did!
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote