Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
Removing back window

I'm installing a window AC unit in the back driver's side window of my bus. The window to the right of the back door (from inside). How do I get it out, other than breaking it? We've tried using scrapers to pry it out but with no luck. I'd prefer not to clean up lots of glass shards.

onenationundergoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I had to carefully and forcefully push it out.. It's a SoB, but it'll go. Focus on one corner and work the rubber gasket out as you go. Wear gloves in case it does break.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9; MT643
Rated Cap: (was) 44; (now) 2
There should be a removable rubber spacer on the outside...remove it. then push in one corner as jazty suggests. It IS an SOB. You probably have safety glass so not likely to get shards but use reasonable caution and common sense (for example, don't hit it with your fist )
Seroflorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Does it push in towards the bus or out? Or does it matter which way?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Mine just has a rubber seal all the way around inside and outside. Doesn't seem to have the spacer. We hope to keep the rubber seal intact for when we put something back in its place to hold the unit.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
Skoolie

Examine the inside and outside closely to compare them...one side should have an extra 'hump' in the middle that runs parallel to the whole gasket all the way around. Ours is on the outside, presumably to keep kiddos from pulling it out to relieve boredom and frustration during their bus ride. If you find that, follow it til you find the seam where it is joined in the round. Use something flat to pry it out of its groove. The window *should* be pushed toward the side that has the now vacant groove. I found these instructions in the owner's manual for my BB.

the process will be microscopically easier if its nice and hot.
Inside on our bus..no extra 'hump':
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture11533.jpg

Outside on our bus...removable gasket piece in place to hold window in:

Outside our bus...locking piece removed about an inch...see the groove? It will stretch when you remove it so be careful not to snap it. Move your grip every few inches so you're not pulling it from a foot away.

this will give you a basic understanding of how the gasket works.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

It seems Thomas and blue bird used different gaskets. My Thomas did not have the same gasket that you have pictures of, seroflorus. You honestly had to just force the window out, starting at a corner. It might help to have a spray bottle with a 50-50 mix of dish soap and water. One person could be inside pushing the corner while somebody outside squirts dish soap in the developing gap. It would eventually pop out.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Or did it push in? I can't remember..
Old 06-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #9
Skoolie

Blast and dam...I just hate not being able to help.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Even though you are working with tempered glass may I suggest you tape up the whole window for peace of mind if anything and then you can push or pull or whack it or whatever suites your fancy.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Ended up going cave man style and just bashing it with a hammer. (OK so not quite cave man, could have used a rock.) Turns out the rubber around mine was one piece that the glass sat in a groove in the middle.

I put a sheet on the grass outside the bus and a towel on the inside, which caught most of the shards. Then I vacuumed the grass around the edge of the sheet and the inside of the bus to make sure there weren't any pieces lurking about.

The AC unit fits very well with only a half inch or less on each side. Gonna build a sheet metal frame for it to sit in the window, situated so that it's flush with the topmost part so we get more cool air higher up. Right now it just has wood and tape blocking out the rest of the window space, and it cooled the bus down to around 70 degrees within twenty minutes or so. It was probably 85 outside and had been in the 90s during the day.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seroflorus View Post
Blast and dam...I just hate not being able to help.
You DID help the future blue bird owners who plan on removing the rear windows. Your tips have been archived for the future generations.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I used a utility knife to cut the outer lip off the gasket. Window pushed out with almost no effort in one piece.

Took less than 3 min each with a new sharp blade.

I chose this method due to how stiff and sun baked my glass gaskets were.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #14
Skoolie

nat_ster may have the best (or at least quickest) option since most glass/window shops have the gasket ... only 'trick' would be gluing it up in the round.

best to call the local shop first to make sure you can get your replacement before the next rain.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I have changed a few truck back glasses from solid to split back and sprayed baby oil and a guitar string or piano string starting in a corner worked beautiful!
Just like I was taught
I bought my bus and it had a cracked drivers window. The bus barn gave me a spare to go with it but I had to change it before I did my first inspection and spraying the sun deteriorated rubber with baby oil mixed with water several times and up to the day softened the rubber enough my pocket knife and a plastic paint paint scraper did the replacement with no issue including removing the cracked windshield?
I am probably to late to help with the original problem but I hope I can help in the future as to what I did!
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seroflorus View Post
Examine the inside and outside closely to compare them...one side should have an extra 'hump' in the middle that runs parallel to the whole gasket all the way around. Ours is on the outside, presumably to keep kiddos from pulling it out to relieve boredom and frustration during their bus ride. If you find that, follow it til you find the seam where it is joined in the round. Use something flat to pry it out of its groove. The window *should* be pushed toward the side that has the now vacant groove. I found these instructions in the owner's manual for my BB.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I wanted to clarify the statement in red for anyone that might have rear windows similar to ours. In our case (AmTran / IC 3800) the pressure strip is on the outside. In order to remove the rear windows, you remove the pressure strip, then work the window & seal assembly towards the inside of the bus. If you pull up the lip of the window seal on the inside, you can see how the glass fits inside it, and also see that it is larger than the hole for the window, which means it would be impossible to push it out.

Moral of the story... everything's different.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #17

Hi everyone! This thread has been very helpful with removing my rear windows. I have a 4 window Corbeil short bus, 2007 GMC Savana 2500. I’ve successfully taken out the windows but I’m struggling to put them back in. Does anyone have advice for whether I should put the window pane back in the gasket and put it back together, or put the gasket back first, and then the glass? Any and all ideas are welcome, thank you in advance!
oktaychloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:15 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I wanted to clarify the statement in red for anyone that might have rear windows similar to ours. In our case (AmTran / IC 3800) the pressure strip is on the outside. In order to remove the rear windows, you remove the pressure strip, then work the window & seal assembly towards the inside of the bus. If you pull up the lip of the window seal on the inside, you can see how the glass fits inside it, and also see that it is larger than the hole for the window, which means it would be impossible to push it out.

Moral of the story... everything's different.
Re-Digging up an old thread Hubbard, I'm in a similar situation - pressure strip on the outside, it appears I should push inside to remove the window. When re-installing the window, I'm going to try the rope method - should I re-install from the inside, pushing outward?
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
Re-Digging up an old thread Hubbard, I'm in a similar situation - pressure strip on the outside, it appears I should push inside to remove the window. When re-installing the window, I'm going to try the rope method - should I re-install from the inside, pushing outward?
Hubbard is no longer with us, I’m afraid
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:34 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
If after removing the strip, the window pushes into the interior. Reassembly is the same. Install your rope and push the window from the inside out , using the rope to pull the gasket around, Replace the pressure strip.