Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Removing those seats

There really are only two options. If you have a partner you could have them crawl underneath and hold the nuts with a wrench while you zip the bolts out from the inside. You could use a ratchet, but hopefully you have an impact if that's what you want to do. If you have a bus like mine where you're not going to be able to get many of them in that method (unless I snapped the bolts off) then the grinder is the next best thing. That's how I got all of mine out. I'd love to say it's quick and easy, but honestly...seat removal followed by removal of the old floor was easily the worst part of the whole conversion. At the same time I'm glad I got that out of the way first. Take your time and do it right. You want a good, solid foundation to work up from. As the seats starting coming out I'd be willing to bet the excitement will grow for you. I know mine did even as the days dragged on...

Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I used the vise grip method. Bought a few a Harbor Freieght and put them on the bolt heads and went down below with a ratchet wrench. I probably had less corrosion than most, because it went pretty easy. Prying up the floor was some hard work. Removing the goo that stuck the lettering to the outer shell took some time, until I found the right solvent.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
I used the vise grip method. Bought a few a Harbor Freieght and put them on the bolt heads and went down below with a ratchet wrench. I probably had less corrosion than most, because it went pretty easy. Prying up the floor was some hard work. Removing the goo that stuck the lettering to the outer shell took some time, until I found the right solvent.
What solvent did you use?
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Ez off oven cleaner will loosen the stickers without damageing the paint, alcohol usually will cut the sticky goo or use laquer thinner.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying to remove all of the glue for the last two years.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Think I finally used alcohol, will try oven cleaner next time.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: genesis
Chassis: international harvester
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

a four & a half inch angle grinder is the only way to go, tried the air hammer vise grip routine, didn't work so good
dieselman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Interesting. I was considering 2 methods: Angle grinder or I have a compressor and a cut off tool(harbor freight---really inexpensive). Once you have an air cut off tool, you will wonder what you did all that time without one. And the replacement heads are EXPENSIVE...$.79 each on average at Harbor Freight. Here is a thought for you as I use a similar method. I purchase long threaded rods from Lowes, screw 2 nuts on and the cut the rod to size. When you remove the nuts it re-threads the ends and you have an inexpensive custom bolt. When I was told this secret I thought they were crazy. Now I always have them on hand. And you can for a few dollars purchase bulk contractor packs of nuts and bolts. I keep assorted sizes of nuts in 1 jar and washers (flat & locking) in another. They are recycled plastic large Prego sauce jars. I was thinking of cutting the head off and adding a nut as needed to the seat bolts to be able to recycle them. I'm the one you see whose wife asks what are you picking up now. I walk thru the parking lot picking up screws, washers, bolts etc for my collection. And when I do use them, she looks the other way cause she knows the "I told you so" is coming.

Scott
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

if you go the cut-off wheel route save the discs by cutting the head of the bolt in half vertically then switch to an air chisel and the head will pop right off the bolt then drive the bolt down and out with the air chisel
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #10

my girlfriend (she was under the bus, little hands and all) and i had the seats out in a couple of hours using a battery drill and a dogbone wrench, air impact will probably save some life on your battery drill motor though. dude was right about the angle grinder, you will need one with a nice wire brush attachment (get the kind with the twisted bristles) when you get the plywood out. what did u all use to fill the bolt holes, and reseal the floor?
vegadog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Think I finally used alcohol, will try oven cleaner next time.
I also used Alcohol. One for the bear-one for the bus. One, two for the bear-two for the bus. One, two, three for the bear-three for the bus. One, two, three, Hic-up..$hit where was I?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

There is a cleaner called 'Goo Gone', its a little expensive from what I have seen, but its great at removing the stickum left behind. There are also various 'Orange' cleaners that will cut through the stickum just as easy. But you spray it on, count to 30 and lightly rub with a scotchpad or a scrubber sponge.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Detroit Motors 8.2

WOW.
I just got finished taking the seats out of my bus I don't know how many bad names I called my helper (wife) hahahah.
at the end of the day she was cussing/swearing more cuss word at me than I ever heard at work. heheh two days but we got all the bolts/nuts out.. and kept everyone of them. I got one more day off and hope to takle the floor next, then the floor heaters.
Taking the seats out was really hard I couldn't believe it!
butcher_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #14

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: Detroit 5.9 L Cummings
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via AIM to ZombieCrow

I just removed the seats in my bus a few weeks ago. Got tired of the ratchet method, and borrowed a friends angle grinder. It worked wonders! Just cut the heads off each bolt and had it done in about 3-4 hrs with a friends help. In my opinion that's the easiest way to go.
ZombieCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

I am adding my experience to this reference page.

Use an angle grinder. They run $130 in stores. If you don't have one try to rent one, or buy it and then return it. I bought 4.5' discs at $1.89 per disc. I used 1 every 4 seats. The bolts on the floor were cutoff and then bolts on the side were taken off with a wratchet. I wouldn't want to use the method of holding the bolt underneath the bus while the person inside the bus yanks it out. That stinks.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolietailgater
I am adding my experience to this reference page.

Use an angle grinder. They run $130 in stores. If you don't have one try to rent one, or buy it and then return it. I bought 4.5' discs at $1.89 per disc. I used 1 every 4 seats. The bolts on the floor were cutoff and then bolts on the side were taken off with a wratchet. I wouldn't want to use the method of holding the bolt underneath the bus while the person inside the bus yanks it out. That stinks.
I have three angle grinders. One is more heavy duty that I use with a grinder disk. IIRC, it was about 30 or 35 bucks, bought online. The other two are cheap, lighter duty ones bought on sale at Harbor Freight for about 12 bucks each. I use one with a cutting disk and the other with a flap wheel. Thus I have grinding, cutting and sanding capability without needing to change disks when I change from one task to the other. Pretty handy when I have to switch tasks frequently. No problems so far, even though they were cheap. I may get another one for use with a wire wheel, but so far my old Black and Decker drill has suited this purpose nicely.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

might as well throw my experience in here,
I had a friend inside with a good air impact gun and me under the bus with a wrench. I think all but say 5 bolts were able to come out this way. they either came loose or the impact twisted the bolt in half, either way they came loose. the few that remained the bolt head was too trashed to get a grip on and the socket spun. I used a cutoff wheel on my 4 1/2" angle grinder to slice the head off. in my opinion the impact was way easier than the grinder. this wont work if you have a junk impact or compressor, you have to have the power to twist the bolt in half otherwise it wont work and forget air ratchets.
the grinder will work if you need to go that route.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners

hate to disappoint you hard workers it only took me about an hour by myself to

remove the seats as my bus didn't have any nuts on the underside of the floor they

just used self tapping bolts to hold the seats down and I used my 1/4" Matco lithium Ion

Impact on all the bolts it goes to 55 ft lbs. it was the cages that took the most time to

remove. It was a prison transport bus 1996 Blue Bird AARE.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Dragon...

consider it a present then. Most people struggle with is. Its one of the more difficult issues of demo if your not really equipped to do this kind of stuff.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

My fist bus I was so excited I forgot my tools, so I used man power and pulled the bolts right through the floor. Most snapped and shot off in any direction. Some pulled right through the floor, a few I had to later cut the heads with a angle Grinder.

My second bus I used my 3\4 corless Milwaukee impact from underneath. Removed all but about 5 that weren't accessible from underneath . Angle grinder fixed the rest.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote