Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Removing Under-Seat Heaters

Hi y'all! I'm taking the seats out of my Bluebird & I need to deal with these under-seat heaters. I think they're electric but the squishy tubes feel like radiator hose and I'm not quite sure what to do with them. Anybody point me at pictures of one of these being taken out? They're not in the manual that came with my bus. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180429_115651305_HDR.jpg  

elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Search the forum for heater, or heater removal.

This has been answered a million times.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
just start slicing and dicing. I didn't read up on it. probably should have. minimal coolant loss. it was pretty easy. getting the hoses out from under the bus was a little dirty. not too bad. don't forget to check coolant level after you finish.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 95
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Bluebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Search the forum for heater, or heater removal.

This has been answered a million times.
Thanks! I didn't find much when I tried searching, I'll give it another go.
elliot_peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
There's a loop at your engine and a valve you have to close before you remove that line. That heater works electrically with a blower fan, but it's blowing off the radiant heat provided by your engine coolant. You need to loop the coolant lines off at the engine and then you can go about removing that heater. There should be a valve somewhere under your dash near your feet, left side, to cut that line off.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
There's a loop at your engine and a valve you have to close before you remove that line. That heater works electrically with a blower fan, but it's blowing off the radiant heat provided by your engine coolant. You need to loop the coolant lines off at the engine and then you can go about removing that heater. There should be a valve somewhere under your dash near your feet, left side, to cut that line off.
Just did this job today on Serenity. It had 3 heaters... one beside driver, one mid way down the bus, and one toward the back. I kept the driver heater. I cut the hoses 5 feet back from the driver heater and quickly hung them out the window into a bucket outside. Once they stopped gushing, I unhooked the out tube (bottom one) from the driver heater and put a U shaped tube from the out of the driver heater and joint connected it to the engine return hose.. All of this is done just behind driver seat. I put a plastic box over the work I did. Now my front heater switch still operates a box that helps heat the front of the bus while its running. Hope this helps.. let me know if you need pics.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Just did this job today on Serenity. It had 3 heaters... one beside driver, one mid way down the bus, and one toward the back. I kept the driver heater. I cut the hoses 5 feet back from the driver heater and quickly hung them out the window into a bucket outside. Once they stopped gushing, I unhooked the out tube (bottom one) from the driver heater and put a U shaped tube from the out of the driver heater and joint connected it to the engine return hose.. All of this is done just behind driver seat. I put a plastic box over the work I did. Now my front heater switch still operates a box that helps heat the front of the bus while its running. Hope this helps.. let me know if you need pics.
i would love to see pictures! i am tackling this same project
caleylemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
Skoolie

Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleylemieux View Post
i would love to see pictures! i am tackling this same project

Check our YouTube video out around the 9:30 mark... should help you out https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=kVK8UUBI_0k
Old 07-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
For RE people thinking of doing this- keep in mind your defroster probably uses the same coolant lines.

One of the biggest PITAs of my build has been -reinstalling- all of these heaters, including the defroster core.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote